thoughts on the mossberg mvp?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hawkguy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

not really in the market, but i do find this rifle to be interesting. :)

it gets really great reviews from the small amount i have read. i am particularly interested in the patrol series for the iron sights.

any owners here? what do you think? instant classic or flavor of the month?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its one of those why did it take so long to make a pmag fed bolt gun??

i would have one of the 308 models if the barrels were 1-12 twist. thats my only real complaint and its a biggee in 308 for me

the action is similar to savage's in that the barrel is held on by a barrel nut making diy barrel swaps pretty easy. ive been thinking about getting one if i can find a 1-12 barrel

the 556/223 version is a 1-9 twist another why did it take so long as almost all 556/223 bolt guns are 1-12 or 1-14 for 30-40 grain bullets

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

3. hawkguy

its very interesting to me. only an over stuffed gun safe is slowing me down here...:p

and lack of funds currently....:eek:

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Have the MVP Varmint 24" barrel, added bipod and Sightmark tactical optics.

Love it!

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Vikingdad & I handled one at Shot,..I liked the fact that it was being integrated with the "Flex" additions,..

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

6. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

I have a 24" varmint. It is one of the best values on the market. Great little shooter, quite accurate. It has one of the best factory triggers in a gun costing less than $1,000 on the market.

7. hawkguy

good info, thanks!

i want the patrol model for the iron sights. i am really hung up on all my guns having iron sights.

one thing that gets me though: i could probably get a new savage axis for half the cost (but no irons :mad:). the MVP obviously offers some good features, but is this gun worth 2X a savage axis? if so, why?

8. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

You probably should not compare the MVP Patrolman to the Axis. If you're trying to be apples to apples, then compare it to the Mossberg LBA --

The Axis and LBA are both featureless, bare bones rifles.

Axis $281
    LBA $270

I don't know that Savage has anything in their line up quite like the patrolman. The closest might be the Hog Hunter. The Hog Hunter has a blind magazine, threaded muzzle.

The Hog Hunter does not come with a scope base, detachable box magazine or flash hider. You'll have to decide if these features are worth the extra $100 to you.

MVP PAT 16HB 556 $489.
    Hog Hunter $383

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The 223 and 338 mag hog hunters are considerably less expensive than the 308 hog hunter. You are very fortunate if you find a 308 hog hunter for under $400.

10. hawkguy

i haven't seen the MVP patrol for anywhere near 489 retail. :confused: what i see is normally 550-600.

11. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Bud's prices as of this morning on .223/5.56

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if i'm not mistaken the MVP uses the same action and barrel system as the Mossberg 4x4 and the ATR100.

now i have had the ATR100 in 30-06 and if the MVP is even close to the same in accuracy and function as the ATR100, it will be a great rifle.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The MVP bolt face is different from conventional. It has a "lower lip" for picking up rounds from the stanag mag. The bolt cycle felt a little bumpy to me, not smooth.

14. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I'm glad this thread was started. I almost posted a thread asking about the mvp. Keep the info coming. I'm hoping to hear more good things about this. Before seeing an mvp I never even thought of buying a rifle from mossberg. I'm in love with my 590a1 though :)

15. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Mercator makes a good observation... The bolt action is different. Although it locks up well, it's a little sloppy on the uptake, a little rough, a little bumpy. It cannot be confused with a Sako.

Because USGI mags don't present the round high enough to engage a normal bolt, Mossberg designed the bolt face with a retractable 'finger' that scoops the round out and onto the feed ramp. This finger then retracts was the bolt closes into battery.

I've got about 500 rounds out of mine now and the initial gritty feel of the action has gone away. I've had zero FTF / FTE and the design functions quite well. I'm shooting almost all USGI M855 and M193 with a suppressor and have had zero issues of any kind.

16. hawkguy

yeah, after i posted this i saw one for 529. apparently the others i saw where overpriced. thanks.

17. hawkguy

i have seen surprisingly good reports on accuracy.

held a patrol model today and would have left with it.....if i had the $ right now. :p

i always have too much other fun in the summer to normally be able to afford a gun also. :D

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

You can get it with the Standard style stock, or the "Flex" system which I have on my SA-20-20 Ga. Semi-Auto. I think this is a great feature to be able to change out 5 different Stock types( I have 3). Even though this gun is made in their "International" plant in Turkey( like my 702, and the 715-718's), I have found little to dislike about this gun. I'd like to see the Flex system brought to their 22 line...
    That is a very nice $$ for the Hog Hunter. Bud of mine just payed $462 for his. He's got a "Hog and Jav " issue on his Cattle grazing land, which borders a small vineyard he also is part owner of,north of town. If I want moving target practice all I have to do is ask him, but he'd have to go with me since I don't have any NV gear,..I went with him last fall and got two, and that was with my mini with him telling me where to shoot...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an MVP in the 20" sporter configuration. It is very accurate with good ammo. Under 1 MOA if you can hold it. Military ammo normally wont be that accurate but there can be exceptions. The twist rate is 1:9. The MVP is chambered for 5.56x45 not 223 which can be shot in the 5.56 chamber. I have 10 round mags for it but it will accept any AR 5.56 mag. The bolt is bumpy as mentioned before. It is necessary to utilize the AR mags and is patented. I paid about $450 for mine OTD but I see the prices have gone up.
    http://grabagun.com/mossberg-mvp-20-5-56-mbl-lam-fltd.html

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have wanted to try a Mossberg. No one I know has one. Everyone that has bought a new gun has got a weatherby recently. I can't say I blame them. They are finding Vangaurds that have a Walnut stock that looks just as nice as a Mark V for $700. Plus they are getting a nice scope mount and rings that would run over $100 if you bought it alone when they buy the rifle.