thoughts on the GSG 1911 .22

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by g17frantz, Feb 13, 2012.

1. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Hey fellas, ordering my GSG on Wednesday. Heard a lot of good things about them. (Some bad) it feels great in my hand. Any of you guys have one? Anything I need to know?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got one. good gun. my only regret is i didnt know about the sig-sauer version. its got a little better fit and finish and a MUUUUCH better warranty. the sig version is made by gsg but to sig's requirements. its the same gun.

my opinion skip the gsg offering and get it with the sig label. if nothing else solely for the better CS after the sale. ive had direct experience with ATI...

a forum search will uncover my experiences.

ive still got my gsg and still shoot it.

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The GSG is a fun pistol. They have a very good steel magazine. They seem to prefer Federal Bulk ammo. The only problem they have is the main spring guide rods breaks at around 1,000 rounds. This is a plastic rod that carries the slide return spring. GSG is always out of these. I drilled a hole in the bushing and glued the rod in. I have 2,000 rounds on it no problem. If it breaks again I will replace it with a steel rod.:)

4. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I have one too....
    Just took it to the range & put another 200 rounds through it this last weekend. I have at least 1500 rounds through mine - no problems so far. I use only round nose (fmj) ammo through mine - it does not cycle well with HP's.

5. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

I love mine. It is the only 1911 I know of that will run crap ammo like it was ment to.

The only negatives I can think of are: the mags are expensive and the basepads will break if you drop them on a hard surface. Also they are in desperate need of a trigger job.

All in all a lot of fun.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Good to know Jon thanks. Everybody seems to be out of stock on the Sig versions though

7. agrotom

agrotom New Member

I have the Sig model and it shoots fairly well, I was expecting a little more heft to it more like Colt ACE But for the money its the best around. :D

8. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

I've got the Sig.
    Great gun ... very reliable, very accurate, and a whole lotta fun. :)

[​IMG]

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive had a chance to compare my gsg to the sig version. order the sig and wait for it. the difference in quality is very noticable.

10. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Ugh you're killing me but you're probably right Jon

11. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I owned the GSG version for a while. Great gun. Reliable and accurate. But it has one gotcha that you have to watch for. In front of the slide stop post above the trigger guard is a hex headed screw. This secures the barrel to the frame. It screws directly into the aluminum frame, and the threads are very small. If you ever have need to tighten that screw as I did, be VERY careful as the threads will strip out in a heartbeat. On mine I did little more than just snug the screw down and it stripped.

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Cabelas had the SIG version on sale last month for $400 bucks at the store. This came with an extra clip and a holster. Our LGS sells the Mags for $24 dollars not bad for a real steel magazine.:)

13. RogerH

RogerH New Member

glad i got the sig now
    :D

14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

There is no difference, none what so ever in the guns. The only difference is price and and grips. To think other wise you are fooling yourself.

15. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

The frame on these guns is not aluminum, it is zinc alloy (Zamak) with a very low percentage of aluminum mixed in. That is the main reason I passed on these guns, and the Colt, and went with the Browning 1911 .22 A1. This gun is made of all T6 7075 Aircraft grade Aluminum and steel.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  16. RogerH

RogerH New Member

took my sig for a run saturday had challage with the mag release . mag kept falling out then the release came out. after temper tantrum and was looking to buy a new one soaked it in CLP break free and it works fine now.

17. TroyS

TroyS New Member

Any thoughts on which ammo to use? I picked up a Sig version and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Luckily there is a Wal mart and Cabelas on the way to the range.

18. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I have the gsg version and I've ran federal bulk through it (the red box not the blue box) with no real issues also mini mags work great most important thing is that the round is a high velosity round

19. TroyS

TroyS New Member

Thanks Wiseman. I will pick up a couple boxes of each.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Use the same ammo I use in my GSG, THE CHEAPEST I CAN FIND!