Thoughts on the .25 Calibers.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, May 4, 2013.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Well, I am just about sick of all of the .243 vs. larger caliber arguements. I don't want to start another arguement, but this could get ugly, I suppose. My question is mainly directed to the anti .243 for deer guys. So what are your thoughts on the dual purpose (varmint/deer) .25 calibers; i.e., the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, and the .25-06? You experienced guys can probably tell where I am going with this.
    ct

2. DavidB

DavidB New Member

I'm a fan of the 257 weatherby, and although its larger then you questioned, I want to get my hands on a 264 win mag one day, they are just so hard to find. I have no experience with the 25-06 or 257 Roberts though.

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

25.06 user here. My favorite caliber of choice. I've taken a spike wapiti with it, (120 grain Nosler partition) and bullet placement is a must. Light on the side of Wapiti, but great for pronghorn, deer, wolves, and anything else that moves and is under 400-500 lbs.
    Resizing 270 and 30-06 down to 25 caliber makes it an added bonus.
    And with this scope, I can see the moons of Jupiter, literally.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most of the 25 calibers, the recoil is fairly mild and manageable. most have pretty decent or above decent accuracy and are quite good for smaller to medium sized came.

IMO, the 25 calibers are a better choice for deer sized game than the 243/6mm calibers. that's just my opinion. between the 243 or a 25-06, i'd go to the 25-06 first and the 243 second.

i currently own a 25-06, but owned a 257 Roberts years ago. now as much as i like the 25-06, i actually like the 257 Roberts more.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cottontop,

The 25-06 would be just fine for deer in the heavier bullets. I had one many years ago that was an amazing rifle and very accurate. And as David mentioned the 257 Weatherby Mag is also a good cal. But a little more expensive to shoot.

6. Axxe55

i had a 257 Weatherby years ago that i got in trade for another rifle i had. loved the cartridge and the rifle. very accurate and well made. but didn't keep it for long due to expensive ammo costs and i didn't reload back in the late 80's. most all of the Weatherby calibers are more suited to those with fat wallets or reloaders!

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

.257 Roberts is sweet

8. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I second this. love the round.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

.257 Roberts is on my want list. That and 7x57, the parent case. Just a great cartridge.
    If I was to do an -06 it would be 6.5x06.

10. Axxe55

both of those are on my want list as well. the 257 Roberts because i regret ever getting rid of that one and the 7x57, to help round out my collection 7mm calibered rifles!:D

11. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I've only had one 25 caliber gun, a model 70 in 25-06... During the brief time that I owned it, I only shot factory loads and to be honest, I was not impressed with the accuracy that I was getting with that particular gun.

A guy I met at the gun club just had to have it - and I didn't argue.

Having said that, I'd like to try the 25-06 again, or perhaps the .257 Roberts.

I think of 25-06 as being overbore enough to be considered a small magnum.

When I ordered my Savage from the Savage custom shop, my original intention was to order it in .250 Savage... But a scan of the online suppliers at that time showed no .250 Savage ammunition, or even brass available so I opted for .243 Winchester in the end.

No regrets there, the 243 worked out fine.

The story I got was that only one run of .250 Savage ammo and brass was made once a year, and apparently I was looking at the wrong time of year.

If I got a .250 Savage rifle, soon after it would be .250 Savage improved.

I have plans to purchase a new Weatherby Mk V deluxe in .257 Weatherby - but will have to wait as I have other projects that must come first.

One of my favorite cartridges is .256 Winchester magnum, a great medium range varmint round. I was once foolish enough to pass up a great-looking little semi-auto in .256 Win mag. and now think my best bet there is a T/C Contender rifle with a .256 Win mag barrel for it.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Don't forget the .257 Weatherby, the king of the "quarter bores." ;)

Personally, I've never really thought of any of the .25 cal offerings as "dual purpose". Of course any cartridge can be used for varmints but to my mind by the .25 cals are a bit too much for prairie dogs.

To me, they are first and foremost medium game calibers. I consider them just about perfect for deer and antelope in relatively open areas where shots out to 300+ yards are likely. I'd actually chose one of them over the time-honored .30-06 if only deer sized game is the plan. Relatively light recoil, flat shooting and enough power to put down a deer if the shooter does his part.

13. Axxe55

i have to agree with that pretty much, except the varmint part, unless your varmints are the size of larger coyotes. i used my 25-06 years ago as my go to coyote rig in open areas on my father's farm to get rid of his coyote problem.

now smaller varmints, i would agree, the 25 calibers can be moving up the high side of the scale and a smaller caliber would work better.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I have always loved the 25/06,it is a little over kill on prairie dogs-but fun as hell to watch them explode from the round!
    For coyotes,whitetails,pronghorn,mule deer,and elk at short ranges they are hard to beat.
    The 257 Roberts is also an excellent caliber,I've never been a big fan of any of the Weatherby calibers although the 257 Weatherby is the velocity king of the 25's. The 250 Savage is an excellent varmint caliber.

15. jpattersonnh

Have any of you ever heard the propaganda the U.S. military told its' Pacific servicemen in WWII about the Jap 6.5? The only reason I bring this up was what my Dad told me. Spent 4 years in the Pacific. I know it is off topic.

16. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

What's that?

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .257 Weatherby really does not offer that much over the 25-06 when you consider cost. What is "Over" kill never understood that one? A dead prairie dog is dead not over dead? The quarter bore is a favorite varmint and medium game rifle on the High Plains. On the high open plains with almost constant wind the .25 is the work horse of prairie dog shooters. ;)

18. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I like any round that is based on the 30-06. I don't see me owning a 25-06 since Im a bigger fan of the .243 but I would love to have a 6.5-06. I have a 30-06 and a .270. If my 30-06 didn't shoot sub-moa groups with my 155gr handloads I would build a 6.5-06 or a 30-06AI. I guess I could give her hell at the range. :D

19. jpattersonnh

One curious person, lets make it 3 and I'll answer.

Why hell at the range?? Still shooting the same bullets?? 155gr? 165 and below lessen everything the .30-06 is. Just get a .308. better yet, buy some 180..200's

We do agree on some things. Kinda. The Weatherby offers more when high mountain hunting. But, if that stiff wind comes up....

20. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

If you are not too concerned with shooting game (such as a deer) over 200 yds away, 250 Savage or 257 Roberts should be just fine. 25-06 would be better for longer distances. While the recoil of a 25-06 is not bad, the recoil of a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts is mild....both rounds suitable for kids or women. I own four 257 R rifles and one 25-06. Have plans to build a 250 Savage in near future. Sorry do not hunt, just shoot paper. Don't shoot my 25-06 that much, simply because I reload and I can get more reloads out of a pound of powder with smaller cartridges, such as the 257R.