Thoughts on S&W Sigma.....

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by eborden1122, Jun 4, 2011.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hello everyone, I was at my local gun store yesterday checking to see if my Kimber Solo had come in yet(no by the way) when I just started looking around and saw that the S&W Sigma's were on sale for $299 new in case so I figured what the hell. Did I get a good deal or is this a crap gun? I have not fired it yet but will try tomorrow. Opinions anyone? Thanks for your help everyone, Ed

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Sigma's are good, reliable guns. I used to have one.

The only gripe you ever really hear about them is the trigger pull is hard, but it never bothered me.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm sure Shihan will be along soon. He owns "The World's Greatest Sigma". He'll tell you all about Sigma's.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have one (.40 S&W) in the safe that the niece loves to shoot.
    She loves the thing. Her weight is about 95lbs (23 years old) and has no problem with the trigger pull.
    I let her try others, but she keeps going back to the Sigma.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have not owned or shot one. That being said, they seem to be decent pistols. They are inexpensive and as far as I know, dependable. The rap about the trigger is just one of those things.

If I needed an inexpensive pistol and the Sigma was what I could afford, I would be perfectly fine with it.

Don't let gun snobs put you off. As long as the pistol is reliable, all the rest is up to the shooter.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

As the owner of "The World's Greatest Sigma"™, my reply would be a little biased.

There is nothing wrong with a Sigma, just as good as a Glock with a better grip. At half the cost:D

If you have experience with a Double Action revolver then the trigger won't be an issue. That is the usual complaint.

Take it to the range fire a couple Mags, to get a feel for the trigger, then do some shooting once you have a good idea about the pull.

Give us a range report. I think you will be happy with it.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I had a Sigma in .40 and I hated that gun. It would easily win the title of "Shortest Owned Pistol", except I did buy a gun from a guy standing in line at a gun show and sold it to another guy after I got inside the show, so technically it's the "2nd Shortest Owned Pistol".

I didn't have any qualms with reliability. It feed and functioned perfectly. But that damn trigger was horrible. I've shot a lot of DA revolvers as well and that was absolutely nothing for preparation. With a DA revolver, I can feel everything that is happening through the trigger. With the Sigma, all I could feel was a washboard. It's literally like there were washboard bumps completely through the trigger pull. I wasn't going to waste $200 worth of ammo in an attempt to break-in a $250 gun.

I would recommend to consider it if you're on a very tight budget. But if you've got a little wiggle room or you're not in desperate need of a gun, I would say save your pennies for a little longer and hold out for something else. From what I see on other forums, Sigmas are either love 'em or hate 'em and I'm in the latter category.

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Buy two High Points for the same price as one Sigma. Then you will have two door stops.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have had an early Sigma 40C for about 15 years. VERY accurate, dependable and "fits" my hand. The trigger is acceptable. I have a later Sigma 9V. The trigger is a little less acceptable but still tolerable.

WTS, I recently handled a newer Sigma 40VE and found the trigger to be absolutely atrocious. About 12 lbs. THAT is where the Sigma reputation comes from. There are some tricks to slick them up a bit, but I have not tried my magic on a VE model, yet.

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

The sigma's are so much like Glocks S&W had to pay royalty's to Glock for patent infringements.

Someone needs to make a trigger kit for Sigma's like they do for Glocks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011