Thoughts on rattlesnake grips!?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JTEX, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Thinking about getting some rattlesnake grips for my RIA officer... If you have some post pics and let me know how you like them and how they feel!

2. Robbie762

Robbie762 New Member

I've been thinking the same thing for my SR1911. I'm wondering about durability too. If nothing else, they look pretty bad assed!

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I don't see too many comments about durability on the rattlesnake skin grips. I think your concern is warranted. I'd also be curious to feel how muck thicker they are than a standard 1911 grip. The ones I've seen look fairly bulky.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Where the heck is Canebrake? I figured he would be ALL OVER this thread.

He has some NICE grips.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Call madd dog custom gun grips. They made canes

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Listen closely -
    I've had two pair- one set i made myself from a gud ole E Tex timber rattler -
    BOTH sucked- REAL snakeskin WILL shed scales - period :(
    Of course you can seal the snot out of them making them even thicker (too dam thick to start with)
    DO NOT bother- they look kinda cool but that will pass quickly ;)

[​IMG]

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I agree.......might be why all of mine are made of horn and bone. Pronghorn antler looks awesome;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

8. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Not sure about Rattlesnake, but I can tell you that I own a set of king cobra stocks by Sarge and they are AWESOME!!!!
    They do not shed at all. If they are sealed, then it is extremely light coat. They are absolutely no thicker than any other standard grips and the cobra scales give them a light gripping texture that is not too hard on the hands. They were my favorite grips bar none (that is, until the Ivories came - they trump everything)....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I get my snake hide grips from Mel at Dog Grips.

Dog Grips

That Defender on the home page is mine. Mel makes some great leather covered 1911 grips. It's a canebrake favorite!

They don't wear-out, they wear-in, like your favorite blue jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found them a tad thick. My first set on the Defender turned out bigger than I liked so I worked with Mel to make a set of thins.

I had the Defender's receiver refinished in electroless nickel boron nitride and Mel found a timber (canebrake) rattler hide with colors to match my refinished Defender. Canebrake was born!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Just dawned on me...
    rattlesnake grips would go nice with my belt buckle...

ForumRunner_20120412_104915.jpg

11. JTEX

JTEX New Member

So Cane, you havnt had any scales come off or anything?? Is the defender your everyday carry? What exactly do you mean wear in? I was looking at getting some from dog grips too

12. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Whiskey and 1911s, I knew I liked you for some reason.

13. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Awesome 1911 canbrake , looks like money very well spent. Simple but very classy, best coustom is seen in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The first set, Prairie Rattler were carried for some time and no loss of scales. They became soft to the touch but still providing good purchase.

The gun went in for re-finish and got the Timber (Canebrake) Rattler hides and has become my Bar-B-Que gun. They are still "New" as I don't carry the gun anymore.

I have never shot the snake hide stocks in the rain/wet condition. Not sure how they would work but I don't think the snake slides off the trail when its raining. :p

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Here is my RIA Officer's. The grips are a little bit wider but they feel better for me.

[​IMG]

Here is my Colt 1991A1

[​IMG]

Have been carrying the for about 6 months and have not had any problems with either one of them.