Thoughts on Mossberg MVP

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Tev225, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Tev225

Tev225 New Member

I have been looking for a new gun and this one looks like it fits the bill. I was wondering if anybody else has one, specifically the one chambered in 5.56, and in the varmint configuration. There isn't a TON of information out there about it, and i was wondering what you guys's thoughts were on it?

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I've had an MVP in 5.56 but with a shorter barrel. Very nice package, good style. One quibble, and you won't know until it's loaded, is how the bolt cycles. The bolt face has a lower lip that bumps into the top round in the AR type mag and forces it into the chamber. Not as smooth as most other hunting rifles.

3. longunner

longunner New Member

I can tell you only that I really want one and it's on the list for sure :D

4. godale

godale New Member

mossberg products are always reliable in my opnion

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the 20" sporter and it is capable of sub moa. I did not want the heavy varmint configuration. The bolt is not the smoothest but the trigger is good and I have had no problems feeding from 10 round mags. No problems shooting milsurp. It is a keeper.

6. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

Mossberg just comes off cheap thats just my opinion i have had with them i sold both my mossbergs they were the first guns i got spend your money on something that has better quality

7. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Mossberg is a reliable gun I'm faithful to my 12 gauge and the ar15 is not exactly top of the line but don't throw it off the list just yet ....the words the vise president of Mossberg " we try to make a great firearm but at reasonable price for the common cost of living....so there ant much wiggle room but we haven't had to many complaints so we must be doin something right"

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you can get a great deal on a MVP go for it. But there are so many rifles in that price range that have a better reputation than the MVP. Just about any rifle in that price range will shoot a 1" group or better at 100 yards. J&G sales had a bunch of used Mossberg rifles in various calibers. I don't know what they have left at this time.

Rifles with a bull barrel can be a handful to shoot unsupported. I would shoot a rifle with a bull barrel unsupported before I bought one.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Mossberg has an excellent reputation for quality made guns at a decent price. i have owned many over the years and have been more than pleased with their quality and accuracy. you can buy a Mossberg with confidence in that you are getting a firearm that will last for a good number of years and do it's job.

the MVP in 308 is the one i am interested in personally. heavy barreled varmint and target rifles are not designed for long treks carrying them all day long for hunting or for shooting unsupported as mentioned. they are designed for shooting off of a rest or bipods or from a bench of some sorts. they are heavy in the barrel area and not meant to be carried and swung like lightweight sporter barreled hunting rifles. my lightest heavy barreled rifle, with the scope mounted weighs over ten pounds and one even weighs over 13.5 lbs with its scope mounted. neither are suited for long treks in the woods.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There isnt much competition for the MVP. Where is there another bolt 5.56x45 that will use AR mags?

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Good Buddy of mine owned a Bushy Carbon15 and wanted something more for a Coyote 5.56 Rifle and he found a MVP in I believe a 20" Model. It seems built quite well and he's pleased with the purchase knowing it's being used as a Varmint Gun over a SHTF type Rifle which is why he got it in the first place.

I don't knock Mossbergs as I have a ATR 30-06 that's quite accurate and gotten me some Deer and I know they use(or at least have used) ER Shaw Barrels, and they're very good.

12. Axxe55

sorry but i have to disagree. Mossberg makes a quality product at a decent price. more of the workingman's gun.

and there is a huge difference in cheap and inexpensive. i don't own any cheap guns, but do own a few inexpensive ones that will put to shame many that cost many times more.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Nowhere. It is the single selling point for the MVP. The only bolt action hunting rifle with a 30 round mag.

14. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388968960.931664.jpg
    This is a bolt from mossberg it is press fitted so in a failure the bolt can come flying out at your face im not saying mossberg is just junk but isn't the bolt a big part of bolt guns?

15. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

I didn't have any problems with my mossberg guns and im not a Remington or a certain brand fan im just saying every brand has low end guns and they cut corners in some areas but most of mossbergs guns are all lower end when i have handle most of there products they seem a little on the lets save money in more then one thing on the gun and in my opinion it shouldn't be at the safety of the consumer i learned my lesson hard buying cheaper end models and by the way i own Winchester, Marlin, DPMS, and here recently savage ive owned Remington's mossbergs and other brands all i say is do your homework and if it works for you then Good deal

16. Axxe55

how many Mossberg bolts have you seen fly apart?

i am curious as to where you got your engineering degree at? surely you wouldn't say such things unless your knowledge and experiance was much higher than those who actually design and build guns for a living?

17. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

To Axxe55 i never said they have came apart i said why cut corners on the bolt for a bolt gun and im saying in the event of a bolt malfunction would you feel safer knowing that your bolt is press fitted or would you rather a company spend a little more and have a better bolt design all i said is why skip on safety

18. Axxe55

if they are not blowing apart, then it must be working , right?

again, where did you recieve your engineering degree from?

and how many bolt malfuctions have you seen from Mossberg?

what are your qualifications to question whether spending more on their bolt design would make it better?

19. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

One I never said I have an engineering degree, two I think this is a forum Right? I think the first post was about Thoughts on mossbergs MVP and I gave an opinion on mossbergs bolt design I thought forums where to give one another each others opinion and when you run into things in the field and have other people show you examples of things in the shooting community is it wrong to pass on information to one another once again I never said don't buy a mossberg and I believe I said just do your homework and if it works for you good deal I don't think I said hey whoever wants to be immature and try to start a fight behind a computer screen I want to here what you have to say

20. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

I do believe I also said I never had any problems with either one of the mossberg guns I owned in the passed