Thoughts on Models 442 & 642

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by pignatelli286, Apr 23, 2013.

1. pignatelli286

pignatelli286 New Member

I am going to try and pick one of these up this weekend if I can find one. What does everyone think of these? I love the "J" frame and narrowed down to these 2. Now just have to decided which one. This will be my first revolver. It will be used for CC and HD. Any advice or suggestions?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 642. Great gun. There are a multitude of holsters out there for it. Even for lefties like me. I would never hesitate to by a J-frame. My wife carries a J-Frame 22mag.

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I have a Model 442 that I keep in my desk drawer. Also when I need to dash out on a quick errand I stick it in my hip pocket. Its light and quick. The action is not as good as K-Framed guns, but for up-close-and-in-your-face, its O.K.

I much prefer a .44 or .45 Single action, however.

Bob Wright

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've got a 642 Talo Performance Center model. Great gun with a smooth action and about half the trigger pull of a Ruger LCR. I shot it for the first time last weekend and had no trouble keeping 20 rounds inside a 4" circle at 10 yards. I'm not that good with a handgun so that was more than acceptable for a first outing.

I would definately recommend the 642.

5. pignatelli286

pignatelli286 New Member

Thank you all for your input. Leaning more towards the 642. Hoping I can find one this weekend.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My next revolver will be a S&W Mod 649. It has a shrouded hammer to reduce snagging, but still gives you a single action capability.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Doc. I have the 638 which is a 38 spl with the shrouded hammer. The 649 is a 357 with the shrouded hammer.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My daughter has a 638 and loves it. That gun is the reason I want a 649. The good part about them is that so many people don't want them. With the run on concealable handguns around here they can still be found at close to the pre-Obama price.

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Don't put yourself down about that 4 inch circle. In defensive shooting the last thing you want is all your rounds going in the same hole. As long as they are in a critical area spreading them out a little is going to speed up the end of the fight.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I was actually pretty happy. 10 rounds were Winchester+p and the other 10 were reload trials. I have other pistols but nothing shorter than a 5" barrel. Not expecting one hole accuracy just respectable self defense patterns.

The +p ammo has a bit of a snap to it. My 158gr reloads were much tamer.

12. pignatelli286

pignatelli286 New Member

You got that right. Seems like the revolvers are little bit eadier to find. Took me forever to find my Glocks.

13. JTJ

The last gun show I went to had lots of revolvers at reasonable prices. They were pretty much being ignored.

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

That is a respectable self defense pattern. Assuming a center chest aim point even a little bit larger would be desirable. Maybe 6 inches with the center at mid-sternum? That should affect both lungs and possibly a good hit or two through the heart. A little high and you might get the aortic arch which is a show stopper.

15. shootinbil

shootinbil New Member

I will go ahead and get the 442 if anything else it's a great back up gun. Very easy to conceal. I always carry a J frame. As a primary gun or as a back up gun. My favorite J frame is a bodyguard 38 the one with the laser on it.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the centennials (442, 642) over the bodyguards (638). The Bodyguards do have single action capability, but will collect a bunch of lint that will clog up the action. They can be jammed hopelessly by a dime. Murphy is an unforgiving bastage

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

A couple points I never considered. I don't pocket carry so it never entered my mind. Thanks for throwing the switch on my train of thought. I won't be so quick to recommend one without a good Q/A period about intended use and carry methods.

18. pignatelli286

pignatelli286 New Member

Thank you everyone for sll the feed back. So far I have not been able to find either one. Everyone is sold out around. I even tried buds.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Excellent point! :cool:

20. JTJ

If you pocket carry, it needs to be a dedicated pocket. Nothing in it but the gun and holster. My daughter ruined the finish on a revolver carrying it in her purse with all the other stuff women carry in there. They make purses designed to carry with special compartments.