Thoughts on Marlin xl7???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ryno702, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Please share. I'm about to buy 1 next month. Please share and be honest.

2. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Don't own one but I have not heard a bad thing about them yet. The general consensus is that you can't go wrong.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! I am a die hard marlin person and its because they are great rifles. I have 4 x7's now if that tells you anything, plus about 4 22s from marlin. They are tack driving accurate, well made, cheap, beginner friendly, reliable, and have a amatuer adjustable trigger. The amatuer part is marlins own words by the way.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ryno, you just can't go wrong with the Marlin X7 series of rifles. well made, accurate and inexpensive. the only downside to them is the limited amount of calibers available, but with the calibers they offer, they do have a broad range. the caliber selection might be one way they keep the cost down. i have three of them and will add more in the future. yes go ahead and by the X7 in what ever caliber you want, you won't regret it, i haven't.

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Totally agree. The Marlin X7 line of bolt action rifles are awesome. You will not be disappointed.

6. cmhill

cmhill New Member

weve sold several over appx two years we have carried them. The gunsmith has sighted in several for customers and claims at 100 yards you can cover a 3 shot group with a dime we have had no complaints at all from them. great price point as well

7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I don't own one but it always come among top 5 recommended rifle when similar question is asked so I believe you cannot go wrong with it. That said, Savage seems to be the most recommended.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

both the Marlin X7's and the Savage Axis's are accurate, well made and priced right rifles. i own three Marlin X7's and enjoy all of them. i have not owned the Savage Axis, but have a friend who has a couple of them and i have had shot them both severall times. my reasons are purely on a personal reason for the Marlin over the Savage, i like the looks of the Marlin better. IMO, if two rifles perform very close, and price wise are very close, which one do you choose? the one that pleases the eye! :cool:

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I agree, all else equal, it all boils down to personal preference.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

From a gun smith pov the marlin is alot better made. They are also a hell of alot more accurate than the axxis

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

You may be right...just stating what I observed (in various forums) through the years. In most likelihood though, both of them will probably be more accurate than the shooter (who would ask these type of question).

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Great point. Me and my gunsmith teacher locked both into a custom vice and shot em w a string on the trigger and using 150 grain federal power shoks the x7 shot better groups by .12 of an inch. Both were 308 by the way

13. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Axxe has told me they are great for the priice range. I just wanted to see the concensus on the weapon system itself. I am gonna get the .270 winchester. The shop by me here in California wants 396$ out the door with all ffl and such fees. And that was for a black synthetic. I really want the real tree cammo. What have you guys paid?

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

$360 all taxes paid on 2 marlin x7s camos. $324 all taxes paid on my x7l 270 black matte. My other x7 is a tester rifle in 7 mm mag.

15. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

308 blued black syn.... $279 + tax

16. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

Damn... I need to find a better deal... :/ I wonder if its just cause its California???

17. Ryno702

Ryno702 New Member

I wish I could get 1 in 7mm mag! They don't make em for us. I need to hurry up and get into smithing school so I could build my own 7mm mag. Haja

18. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

That $279 deal was a sale price at Bass Pro in St. Charles, Missouri.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Mine was at gun smoke in springfield mo.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Good luck because they wont be out until next december at the very earliest june