Thoughts on Kimber, Dan Wesson, and Colt

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jakewpns, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jakewpns

jakewpns New Member

Just wanted to get some insight on all 3 companies as a whole. Not talking best for the money, just over all quality of the firearms produced by them.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I hate to admit that I don't own a Colt. However I did have a Sistema 1911 which is an Argentinian 1911 that was manufactured under license from Colt on Colt machinery.

I had a Dan Wesson Commander bobtail that I am just sick about selling. I has proven to be my favorite 1911 ever.

My carry pistol is a Kimber Pro Carry II and I like it fine. However, I did have it gone through by a great 1911 gunsmith for a reliability tune.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

DID? Oh man, I'm sorry for your loss. I liked the work you'd done to it.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Dan Wessons are great.

Kimbers made before their II series guns are great.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've had good experiences with all three.
    If asked to rank in any order, mine would be:
    Dan Wesson
    Colt
    Kimber

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

In terms of quality:

Dan Wesson
    Colt
    Kimber

7. jakewpns

jakewpns New Member

Ok. Because ive shot Colt and I own a Kimber, but never had the chance to handle a Dan Wesson, but ive only heard good things. Just wanted to get more info. And as far as quality goes I know there is always an argument between kimber and colt

8. jakewpns

jakewpns New Member

Thanks for the help guys

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You'll get no argument on quality with Dan Wesson.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Of your list, the Dan Wesson is the best option.
    If your wallet won't stretch to DW, get a Colt.

IMHO, Kimber makes an ok 1911 with a poor warranty and spotty customer service. Great marketing department with a large budget, though. Those glossy magazine spreads aren't cheap.
    If you find yourself eliminating the first 2, Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty & great customer service.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

And don't forget Sig Sauer's 1911 lineup.

12. jailer6

jailer6 New Member

I was in the same boat a couple months ago, I went with the Colt. Reason being all being fine pistols, although I don't like that Dan Wesson has shot up so much in price, everyone should have a Pony in there stable!!

13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Please do yourself a favor and forget Kimber. Lousy CS and an even lousier 1 year warranty. Why buy a gun with a 1 year warranty when SA has a fantastic custom shop and a life time warranty. Plus in my lousy opinion a 1911 doesn't have an external extractor so that eliminates the Sig line. DW makes a great gun but not sure about the price increase a little while ago. They were a good bargain not so much now though they make a very good gun. Colt started it all and had some issues a few years ago but seems to have got the message and quality is up. Your choice but I would buy a RIA, Metro Arms, or any number of guns before Kimber. I wish they offered a lifetime warranty as they make several great looking models though over priced. I would get another one if they did if I found a good deal.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Agreed! I just think it should be a revolver instead of an auto. :cool:

15. jailer6

jailer6 New Member

image-3560252586.jpg

Here is my pony. A reason they are still on the top of most peoples non-custom list. I love this 1911

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  16. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

What does a reliability tune" consist of? I have two Kimbers (5" Custom CDP II and 3" Ultra TLE II) that I've been having problems with. Selling is such a hassle so I'm wondering if tuneups would do the trick. There is a local gunsmith who has worked on my FAL rifle and he did a great job. I just need to know what to request for said tuneup. Thanks.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

From John Harrison's operation:

1911 Function Reliability Tune Up

The purpose of the Function Reliability Tune Up is to make minor adjustments and corrections to the pistol so that it smoothly and flawlessly chambers, fires, extracts and ejects every round, when fed quality ammo from good magazines as well as to inspect for potential problems. I recommend that the work below be repeated on some regular basis on high use guns.

Every pistol should have the steps listed below taken to assure correct functioning and safe operation. In addition some pistols need additional work done (not included in the cost of the Function Reliability Tune Up), such as lowering the ejection port (most pistols made over the last 15 years already have “lowered” ports), re-crowning the barrel (not all factory crowns are bad), polishing the slide bore or rails on exceptionally rough guns, machining the clearance cut in the frame bridge, detenting the slide stop, and other miscellaneous work, such as tuning to run a particular ammo or installing an extended ejector. Because not every gun needs or every customer wants these additional jobs done, I treat these jobs on a “as needed, ala Carte” basis. I currently charge $60.00 for the following work.

1) Inspect pistol for operation of safeties to verify correct function, fit of barrel & slide, correct operation of fire control mechanism, looseness of sights, plunger tube and grip screw bushings.

2) Detail strip pistol, clean, dry and inspect all parts for damage, wear, rough surfaces and incorrectly done modifications (such as over polished feed ramp, etc.)

3) Make the following modifications and adjustments:
    Breech Face:
    Measure width & correct if tight
    Polish surface of face and sides
    Deburr firing pin hole

Chamber:
    Check for correct headspace
    Finish ream to clean the walls and cut leade
    Polish chamber
    Polish feed ramp on frame and barrel

Extractor:
    Cut correct radii on claw and polish
    Check engagement depth (“spring”) and adjust as required
    Test and adjust tension

Slide stop:
    Check and adjust fit as needed to assure proper slide lock back with empty gun
    Check and adjust for possible causes of premature slide lock

Barrel:
    Inspect crown and locking lugs, inspect link pin and stake if loose

Frame:
    Check for frame bridge relief cut

Springs:
    Test weight of recoil spring and replace if needed with correct weight spring
    Inspect and replace any other springs as needed

4) Assemble and lubricate pistol, bench test function with dummy ammo

5) Test fire to verify proper function​

IMHO I would add the following from Clark Custom Guns's operation;

A 1911 Reliability Package (1911-RELI) includes throating the barrel and polishing the feed ramp, lowering the ejection port (already done on many current models), tuning the extractor and ejector, tuning one (1) magazine*, and function testing. Additional magazines can be included at additional cost. It is very important that the magazine be included in this package. We find that 90% of "gun trouble" is really "magazine trouble".* Reliability Package is included with all Accuracy Jobs. ​

*emphasis added - cane

18. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

Thanks, Mr Cane. It appears as though John is not taking on "small jobs" right now. But I've printed your post and will take it with me to the local.

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/News.aspx

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Am I missing something?
    For what a decent 1911 costs, there should be no need for it to be sent out for work to make it "reliable."
    If it gives you a warm fuzzy to send it out for "tuning," great, but it should not be a requirement for it to work correctly.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did you try Jim Clark Jr? He's one of the best. (and see answer below)

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/index.htm

I would consider having reliability work done only on a carry gun.