Thoughts on FN 5.7?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by coltsp6920, Jul 22, 2012.

1. coltsp6920

coltsp6920 New Member

I'm considering getting a FN 5.7... Pros and cons versus something else? Just looking to use it for home protection and firing on the range. Nothing too big.

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Colts, FN is a well-made firearm and the smaller caliber allows for a very large (30 round) magazine before reloading. However, they are extreme velocity rounds (2,800 fps) with a fair amount of energy (400 lb-ft). This type of round, while being a fair real-life manstopper, would probably over penetrate and fly through several inches of building material, causing danger in other rooms or possibly other residences. A low velocity round that will stop in a target or wall if target is missed would probably be better for home defense.

3. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Exellent point. In a situation that could happen in a couple years, like nato troops going door to door HERE taking the Law Abiding Citizens Firearms. JS, It is ideal for a combat firearm for penatrating armor. But you better have ammo because it is uncommon. 5.7x25

4. msup752

msup752 New Member

This topic has come up a few times. I'm always happy to add my 2c each time as a former owner.

Pros: light,accurate to 100 yards with some practice (good for a handgun), 20 round mags, very light recoil

Cons: expensive gun, expensive ammo, reloading is difficult, large pistol so more difficult to conceal or hold for people with small hands, point of impact varies between the heavier and lighter bullets, limited options in ammo or pistols, and the #1 reason that caused me to sell it, the safety is on the mid slide. I would often catch my holster and switch off so I always had to assume it was off. With that light of a trigger pull. It does not pass my safety test. The safety selector is located where it can be manipulated by the trigger finger.

5. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I have one and love mine...
    It is great fun at the range. MSUP's post is pretty dead on though. Expensive round (5.7 X 28) and can be hard to find, however I just wait for gun shows it is readily available at those & for slightly less cost than the two LGS's that carry around here. The mag capacity is 20 rounds (not 30) as was said in an earlier post.

I also think that MSUP mentioned in one of his earlier posts (if I remember correctly) that he had a leather holster. I have a Blackhawk Serpa and have had no problems with the safety issue that he had.

6. msup752

msup752 New Member

It has been a while but the holster was soft sided and not kydex. That may help mitigate that part of the problem although anything brushing against the slide may cause the safety lever to move. I also rest my fine rigger finger where the switch is and often bumped it off. Training can overcome these issues but with the other shortcomings, this dog is too old to switch 20 years of pistol handling techniques!

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I wasn't referring to the factory magazine, but this one, simply stating it was capable of a very large capacity.

8. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Actually, one of the selling points of the 5.7 ammo is that is doesn't over penetrate hard targets but fragments and breaks apart in such a situation. I've seen FNH video of the rounbd being fired into a cinderblock. It goes into it but does not come out the other side.

Also seen some personal tests (online - I forget what forum) done at a range. Someone recreated walls with sheetrock. The round stopped in the 3rd wall. At the Fn Forum, it's well known that short of going thru a window - the round won't leave your home.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

My opinion any handgun is a poor choice for home protection. Rifle or shotgun is better shotgun being preferred using at least bb shot or bigger.

I strongly recomend finding a fn5.7 you can fondle before buying. I like the round its a neat concept but i dont like the ergonomics of the only handgun its chambered in.

Another huge negative for defensive purposes is the round that does make it effective is not available to anyone but military or police.

10. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

I have owned the handgun. I sold it later because I needed the $ to go towards a custom 1911 I was ordering at the time.

However, I do have two PS90s. I like the ergonomics and capacity of the PS90 carbine. I have no problems with using it for self defense. It actually makes a good SHTF weapon, IMHO... Low recoil. You can even fire the thing 1 handed if necessary. And, its shorter than a short barreled AR.

You also get more velocity out of the 16" barrel. I am not sure I would use the Five Seven handgun as a concealed carry weapon, however. But, the full polymer cover on top of the metal slide does make it an interesting weapon to be almost rust proof on the exterior.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

The ammo that would be effective in your above hypothetical is not legal for civilian ownership.

Body and armor can be daunting but 00 buckshot to any exposed area will stop a fight...;)

You'd be better off with a high capacity shotgun for either scenario.

Tack

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm not going to tell you it's the most practical option out there.

But if it's in your budget and interests you, go for it. Most 5.7 owners seem thrilled with their performance. And that's probably all that matters.

I shot one once. I wouldn't consider it an ideal carry or even home (urban) defense weapon. But in a more rural HD setting, as a varminting pistol, for fun on the range and in the woods...they're pretty slick.