thoughts on first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by powg, Jul 13, 2011.

1. powg

powg New Member

I have deceided to purchase my first 1911 ....I want a basic, reliable shooter .Im leaning towards the para ord. gi expert .45 .This pistol has a few extras ,but is in my price range $500.00 ....yalls thoughts and opinions on this or other pistols ,springfield ,taurus ,new remington r1 etc ....

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would suggest you go to some local gunshops and see which ones feel the best to you and have the features you want, and maybe try a rental range if you have one in your area.

I've heard mixed reviews about Para Ordnance and Taurus so I would be cautious of those two, but Taurus in particular I've heard much more negative stuff. I personally have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1 and I strongly recommend it. I don't have any experience or knowledge about the Remington 1911, but I have held it in a gunshop before and from my first impression it seemed to be pretty solid.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Para makes a fine pistol and their products usually come with a few upgrades. GI models are typically bare bones "project" guns that many choose to customize to suit their tastes. You may find in the long run that it is cheaper to save a few hundred and invest in a higher end gun. Things like lower and beveled ejection ports and rounded hammers, extended safefy grips and beavertail may not seem important now but your attitude may change after a few hundred rounds, then you will have to spend those extra dollars at the gunsmith. Just my 2 cents...all gun purchases are subjective, my choice may not be yours. Whatever you choose pls post up some pics. Good luck

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Take a look at both the GI model and the MilSpec model from Springfield. The GI is bare bones and the MilSpec is a GI that's had a few upgrades.

The MilSpec was my first 1911.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree-
    My experience with Para has been hit 'n miss :(
    You'd be hard pressed to find any bad press on Springfield :cool:

6. corcoraj2002

corcoraj2002 New Member

I recently bought my first 1911. A springfield loaded stainless steel. The Para didn't fit my hand and I'm a lefty so the ambi safety was ideal.

I would recommend hiring them out and seeing what you shoot best.

Good luck with your search.

J.

7. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought a Remington R1 a few months ago and I love it. It shoots great and feels great. Not one problem after 300 rounds.

8. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

My GI Expert has been absolutely reliable and I would say it plenty accurate for a nice SD piece. It no Colt Gold Cup but it'll get dead bad guy all day.

[​IMG]

9. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

[​IMG]

the second round through my para got hung up on the feed ramp,but the next 348 round have been flawless.i've added a set of houge grips with the finger groves on it now and it is by far my favorite gun.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Para is a excellent choice, they have a one piece feed ramp, huge extractor, and well built. Springfield Armory are a great choice for a 1911 pistol, I have 2 and wouldn't swap or sell them. One key thing, make sure you shoot about 500 rounds to break it in, then you'll have fun with it. I would stay away from Kimber, they are over rated.

11. David26

David26 New Member

I have had a para GI expert and was not happy with it. Had fail to feeds every time i took i out, about 1 every 100 rounds even with wilson combat mags, day 1 right out of the box was able to push the slide lock leaver out without havin to line up the notch, the whole gun felt loose, didnt like the poly grips or trigger, the finsh was cheap and started to wear on the edges right away, and the slide said made in Canada on it.. Was not happy with the Para at all traded it for a used P97 and $50. I even remeber tellin Bear i didnt think i buy anouther 1911 after that leavin a bad taste in my mouth for the platform but then Ruger came out with one and well it bein a Ruger i had to have it and couldn't be happier with it...I Say spend a little more and get the Ruger SR1911 but i know not everyone is as die hard Ruger as I am so my second sugestion would be a Springfield

12. jca1

jca1 New Member

13. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I had a para CCW, it never jammed, misfed, or for that matter of accuracy it didn't miss. Even out the box it was great, but I do agree, it did feel a little loose, I did not like the plastic grips, and the finish could have been a little smoother and even. I will say it did keep up when I shot it brand new out of the box again a friend (former army) shooting my Springfield 1911 loaded A1. I like para, but Sig, Springfield, and Glock are my favorite. Springfields are very good, awesome. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

14. Capt18

Capt18 New Member

I have a Sprinfield TRP, a S&W PD and a Sig Raptor. If I was forced to pick one I would pick the TRP. Keeping in mind that every one of the are excellent when it comes to performance. The biggest difference is the price. The TRP will hit your wallet pretty hard. But if you are choosing a side arm as a member of a SWAT team you can't beat it. The S&W is light on the wallet but yet it shoots and handles very well. I've had the Sig for about a month now. I've been putting it through some pretty tough tests at the range and I must say..... I am very impressed with it. Remember, you get what you pay for.

God Bless