Thoughts on DPMS?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by magnum05, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

Like to get some thoughts and opinions on the DPMS AR 15's before i decide on it.. Found one brand new with red dot for $719.00. Like to know if they are good ar's or not

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Not real good, especially with red dot for $719...

What do you plan to do with an AR? How many rounds a year? If very little then the DPMS would work out.

3. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I've got an older one with the 20inch bull. Just shot the 1/4 inch top off a Gatorade bottle with a scope on top of the carry handle and have not had any issues since new. Someone recently posted some negatives on the DPMS so maybe the "newer" ones aren't up to the same build/parts quality as the older ones.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 16" DPMS and while I dont have a huge amount of rounds through it, it has not malfunctioned. I guesstimate in the vicinity of 1500 rounds of mostly 55 grn. I did try some 45 grn with no problem. It is pretty accurate with hand loads. I recently ran 40 rounds of Wolf 55 grn through it with no problems. I dont expect MOA with military or Win white box but it is capable with my handloads.

5. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Dpms is second in ar15 only to bushmaster in sales and I havent heard anything bad on dpms.

6. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

Well i have a BM carbon but i had to send it in to BM because i had an issue with the top rail coming loose and im debating on gettting my $ back.. I found the dpms but i also found a S.W. optics ready for $780.00 not sure what to go with. As far as what i plan on using it for, hunting, target ect.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The S&W optics ready is a much better AR than DPMS. They also have the Sport that competes pricewise with the low end DPMS. Both don't have a dust cover and forward assist.

8. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

maybe i should just stick with the bushy and see how it goes.. After all i got a 3yr warranty..i wouldnt mind buying another ar but I would want one with a 20" brl but not sure what manufacture to go with..
    @ Quentin not to sure about the S.W. sport i just saw a video on here that it blew up lol

9. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I've owned my DPMS AR for...I dunno...3 years or so now and even with the cheapest ammunition, it's functioned flawlessly. No jams, no failures of any kind. Granted, I use mine for "recreational" purposes, but like I said, no malfunctions at all. I'd buy another DPMS in a heartbeat were I on the AR market.

Josh

10. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I would like to hear some reasons for your somewhat negative review of the DPMS AR with a red dot. :confused:

Sure, there are better rifles out there, but they are more costly also. IMHO the DPMS is a fine rifle for that money. :cool:

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

my wife has a dpms panther. she picked it out. i had to do some mods to get it within reasonable running condition. almost nothing was properly torqued or staked or loctited. i pretty much had to rip it apart so no two pieces were touching then put it back together correctly.

they function out of the box fine for very light range use. but if you plan on running them hard they need a lot of work.

my opinion your better off spending a bit more and getting a better assembled AR15 if you dont know the platform inside and out. they are good buys if you dont mind get your hands a little dirty and re-doing the build.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

My DPMS rocks. I have had it for four years and have put hundreds of rounds through it. Proper staking is BS, in 600 rounds over the last four years my gas key or castle nut has never come off. My boys and I get **** faced and shoot the hell out of some beer cans. Hell ya! It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Leave those other brands to the mall ninjas. Unless you're some "operator" you don't need all those extra specs. DPMS is just as good as all those other brands plus my local gun store guy said they were one of the best right along side Bushmaster and Olympic Arms. Now all I need is to get one of those slide fire stocks.

14. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I'm sensing a bit of frustration and sarcasm in this post.

In that price range there are much better choices for a quality ar. Check out Palmetto State Armory, Spikes Tactical or for a little more money Bravo Company Manufacturing. Why settle for less quality when the better quality rifle is in the same price range?

15. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

WTF?? For a minute there I thought someone hacked your account. I think I counted at least 9 things in that post that I have heard you rant about on other threads. I don't know how you even brought yourself to post that. You must have been laughing your a$$ off while typing it, I know I was while reading it.

16. Okie_fd

Okie_fd New Member

Lol that's right put ya bayonet on it to open them beer cans up then do a full mag dump on the can. Yee haw. Good times. You come to OK we have us a good time.

17. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Haha good one mj can't blame ya for getting a lil sick of answering the same question over and over again.

18. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Just wanted to quote your post like everyone else

19. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Nothing says fun like getting **** faced and handling deadly weapons.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I, too, figured what the hell. Seems to be the thing to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.