Thoughts on Derringers for CCW

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Triumphman, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I've read many posts on many sites about what some people use as carrying guns for CCW. It seems that nobody wants a simple to use Derringer nowadays for ease of concealment or stopping power that is offered in Today's Derringer of 22mag, 38spl, 45LC and a few other calibers. True, they may only offer 2 shots, and are quite the handful in anything above 32 caliber, but a semiauto 9mm is quite the handful when built on a small framework, and as with any gun, you gain confidence and proficency with practicing, where it shouldn't take 10 shots to prove you can kill a bad guy that is there to harm you and only standing 10 foot in front of you. I like my little Bersa 380, but I've found that my little Cobra 38Special is so much easier to operate, hide(especially in summer with light clothing, and get to quicker. Anybody else carry a Derringer as their Everyday type defense?
    Del

2. jsbowman

jsbowman New Member

What if there is more then one attacker? I would rather be over armed then under armed any day. I like my micro 9 a lot. Not to snappy

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It all boils down to YOU.

I've carried Derringers, Revolvers, Auto-loaders, and multiple combinations of these. While I currently carry a Kimber TLE II, I still have a SIG P238 comfortably tucked away for back-up. You may want to look at the SIG P238. It's a very well made, reliable, and deadly accurate 380, as 380's go. But like I said... it all boils down to what YOU like.

4. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Personally I wouldn't carry a derringer. Two shots is just not enough to give me a warm fuzzy. But I know people that do. It's whatever your comfortable with.

5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

No way I would carry derringer. Why carry something that is so small and inaccurate? Not to mention only getting two shots. What happens if there are more than one person? Or if you hit the bad guy with both shots and he keeps coming? I don't carry anything with less than 5 shots (lcr 357), but you'll almost always find me carrying something that holds at least 7 rounds, plus have at least one reload on me. I've never heard of anyone losing a fight because they had too many rounds. I make sure the clothing I wear allows me to carry some form of real gun at all times.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I think of derringers as a 'throw back' from the days when it was common for people to carry openly, but a few preferred that no one know they were carrying. In that day, it seems the derringer was the common 'mouse gun'. Now, we have a lot more options with higher round capacity.

7. spack762

spack762 New Member

I carry one as a sconed or third gun. Depends on what im doing. Plus they are small enough i can palm it and have it ready with no one being the wiser.
    The fastest reload is a seconed gun.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I think them as a novelty item. They are hard to shoot well, only have two shots, and they really don't have much of a size advantage these days. There are so many better options out there. I can't see choosing one over something like a Ruger LCP or the like.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Don't take this the wrong way but I know a lady that has a Derringer on her person at all times, for those up close and personal times. She usually has something else with her but the Derringer is always there. A buddy also carries one in his pocket, I think it's a 22 mag. and he loves it. Some feel that this is all that they need to protect themselves some don't. I carry a Beretta Bobcat as a BUG most everywhere.

10. undumb

undumb New Member

In 41 years I have never had to pull a gun on anyone, the chances are that I most likely won't ever have to. I make sure to pay attention to my surroundings. That said... A derringer is perfect. self defense is up close and personal at knife point distance, It is not unloading a high capacity mag at 50 ft, if you do that I am almost positive that you will be spending the next 10-15 with a new roommate. One shot from a derringer, at point blank will take the fight out of almost anyone and at that distance I will not miss center mass!

11. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

So you're willing to bet that a single shot from a small caliber weapon is going to stop a guy tweaking on meth or pcp? I've personally seen people take 4 or 5 rounds from an M4 center mass before they fell. A fellow officer I know was in a shooting where the bad guy took three shots from his department issued 870 loaded with 00 buck before going down. It turns out that bad guy had over 20 pellets in his torso. Never assume you have a weapon that is going to get it done instantly in one shot...unless you can hit that brain stem every time one a moving target in a high stress situation.

12. undumb

undumb New Member

Again... I pay attention to my surroundings, I generally try to stay away from areas the meth heads frequent, I've avoided them for 41 years.
    But with your logic, everyone should carry a tactical 12 gauge with a 50 rnd canister.
    I am a firm believer of being prepared, but to what extent.... Do you have 15 gallons of fresh water, 3 weeks of MRE2's, an axe, a hatchet, a tent, dry fire wood.... In the trunk of your car? Seriously, if your going to prepare, prepare for anything and everything! Just making a point!
    If I make a conscious effort to not put myself in bad places, I don't have to inconvenience my life with toting around 3 guns and all the clothing it takes to conceal them.
    My wife and I carry S&W BG .380's, and we train with them once a month, we are prepared! I know plenty of people that carry only a derringer and I consider them prepared.
    The number one rule of being in a gun fight... Have a gun!

13. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Everyone should be conscious of their surroundings and pay attention, with or without a gun. And everyone should practice common sense and stay out of dangerous areas, where possible. But that doesn't come with a written guarantee of safety, no matter how many years you have gotten by. I know more than one person that did everything you describe and crime has found them, no matter how hard they tried to avoid it. How many times have you seen some tragic event on the news and heard neighbors say "I never expected that to happen here"? Criminals don't play by any rules. They don't restrict their movements to high crime areas. No matter how hard you try. No matter how careful you are. It can find you in a hear beat.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My smallest gun I feel comfortable carrying is a J-frame with 5 rounds of .38 +P. I would not trust my life to 2 shots from anything. The only exception is when I am working out in gym shorts. I carry a NAA 22 mag in my front pocket. It is a lot better than nothing, which is what most people carry at the gym.

I think Derringers are cool. I will probably buy one some day. But it will be a toy to play with at the range.

15. undumb

undumb New Member

The op asked for thoughts on the derringer... I gave mine.
    I did not state that it would stop a meth head dead in his tracks. I stated that it will take the fight out of most people. It will do exactly what it was designed to do... Put two rounds into something at point blank range. That in my opinion will give the shooter advantage in a situation.
    My best friend is a deputy, never once has he told me that I need to beef up my preparedness. I have a monitored security system, a dog that is just shy of 100 lbs., an 18.5 in. 12 gauge, a multitude of .45's and .40's in a liberty gun safe, a CCW and a carry weapon, and both of my sons(19 and 24) and I have taken martial arts based self defense (Tracy's Kenpo) and have been taught how to handle a weapon.
    If you think that I have not prepared my family enough, then you are just paranoid and no answer would satisfy you.

16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I once in a while carry a derringer(seldom). Only two shots IS a problem. I walk alot and many places I walk past have mean acting dogs. If I was attacked by two large dogs a once, I doubt the two shots would be enough. Dogs are worse than human attackers. If a human is shot (or shot at) most times he decides to go someplace where the air contains less lead. If a dog attacks they are harder to hit and less likely to stop until dead. But no one can decide for you. Carrying a derringer is way better than no gun.

17. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Easy man...not trying to argue here. Simply staying my point. In my experience and the experience of my fellow officers...limiting yourself to two rounds and taking away the ability for a quick reload is not a smart idea. Not saying you a tactical shotgun with a drum magazine...but why not carry a gun that gives you plenty of rounds and stopping power? Plenty of people think that just because it has never happened to them that it won't...not a good mindset.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It goes against my philosophy of "In every given situation, always carry the largest caliber, frame and capacity firearm that you are comfortable/good with."

19. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Derringers?

I own 3 NAA .22 Magnum derringers. I have used them as my "GET OFF OF ME GUNS" for years.They hide in my pocket effortlessly, and no one can tell they are there. While I do try to carry as large of a gun as my attire allows, the Derringer is always present in a pocket.

20. undumb

undumb New Member

Sorry about that, but because I don't carry a desert eagle .50, a sawed off shot gun, and a .44 magnum as a boot gun I am accused of not taking personal protection seriously, this happens on a regular basis. I'm not a LEO, I don't purposely put myself in harms way, and not everyone is a strung-out meth head. I am comfortable with my level of preparedness.
    Again, I don't carry a derringer but I have friends that do... It is better than nothing!