thoughts on counter sniper scope??

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by lovetoshoot, Aug 17, 2009.

1. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Dam man how many knobs and dials do you need on a scope? I am suprised it doesn't come with some sort of intagraded rail system as well that would make is sweet so you could mount a HALO sight for the close in shots.

3. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I am not sure how a scope can be made specific for "counter sniper" use. As Tango mentioned, all the dials and knobs can't account for basics of long range work.

I am attached to the scout/ sniper section of my infantry unit and the snipers do a whole lot more with reading wind, elevation and adjusting for distance and windage through calculation (literally, with a calculator) than they do turning widgets on the optics. I am an infantry scout and the sniper section does overwatch and security for us all the time. I never see them make more than a few adjustments before taking a shot. There is a lot more prep time prior to squeezing the trigger than most people realize.

In a military application, "counter sniper" work is no different than regular sniper work at a given range. In a police application, the average shot is under 80 yards so accounting for variables in the wind and plotting trajectory is really a moot point.

I think the glamorization of snipers in the past few years has really boosted the market for do-dads and turny things on scopes. Those things will not make or break the shot. Find a scope with good glass and easily adjusted turrets, and learn how to range targets and read wind and you'll be ahead of the game.

I never saw the glamour of laying still for hours or days on end, getting eaten alive by bugs and doing my "bussiness" in a bag. Guess I am just not hard anymore...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  4. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I think counter sniper is the make of the scope, not the type of scope it is. But nonetheless, I don't see a need for so many knobs.

-Fred

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I was simply trying to bring to light the marketing strategy behind some of the products directed at riding out the sniper hype.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know, they seem like a good scope based on the promo video.

American made body

German Glass

2 stage adjustable illuminated reticle ( red/green )

1/4" or 1/8" click adjustments

30mm body

Close to 70 MOA of adjustments

It has all the makings of a good scope, the question is, how much light are you getting through it? Without holding one and seeing for myself, I would be hesitant to recommend them.....

JD

7. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

And you did, well put.

OP, make sure you take the time and search on these scopes, I have not heard good things about them in general.....

I did look at some of their brochures once and the amount of mumbo jumbo they had in it was a bit over the top.

8. Reconscout

Reconscout New Member

If you would like to take a look at more than just scopes, and they do have those as well, go to APELGEAR.com - Protective Equipment for Those Who Serve, and check out the optics and spotting scopes that they offer. I know from experience as an SDM in Iraq, that having a spotter helps, but is not always necessary in every situation. I get most of my gear from this store, as it is from an active duty soldier. We support our own.

9. rvaducks

rvaducks New Member

From what I have read and heard about them they are junk. There are much better optics out there. If you are looking for a budget optic look at the Super Sniper optics that riflescopes.com makes. It’s another cheesy name but the optic really performs. I would just do a search and try and find a used Nightforce.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I see four knobs. One too many in my book. You should have windage, elevation, and possibly parallax adjustment knob. For a max possible total of three knobs. I'm guessing that the foruth knob is for your illuminated reticle intensity and on/off. If this is what the foruth knob is for, IMO thats a bit cheesy. I dont see the need for an illuminated reticle. I have an illuminated reticle feature in my longe range scope and it's built into the parallax knob, which I removed the battery. I dont ever see the need using the illuminated feature in my scope but thats the only way it came.

Illuminated reticles are only good for twilight situations and illuminate the cross hairs a bit only. It does'nt illuminate anything else.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I agree with rvaducks said about finding a used NightForce.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Since it has been re-surged...:)

Sportman's Guide has some of the Counter Sniper scopes in their catalog. Interesting looking. Says "save up to $2,308" and "US Gov't Issue". They have 3 models with varying 3-color illuminated mil dot reticles.

I don't think light will be an issue with these.

3-25x56 $689.97

2-16x44 $499.97

3-9x42 $269.97

Says made in USA as well.

Interesting and seem to be built to take some punishment. Just putting it out there.

13. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I`ll stick to Leuplods, I know what they are.

14. layton

layton New Member

OK, what do you think of the Sheperd P-3 scope? I bought one and put it on my M-14, and the one shot zero does work, was surprised, but really does work, but was just curious what you thought about it.I like the way it is set up better than the MIL Dot ones.

Layton

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I recently used one of these scopes on a 338 Lapua Magnum rifle. Set up for long range, reach out and touch someone/target fun. Loved the scope and the rifle. Nice to have the focus knob on the side as well.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

You can reach out and touch your target for far less money and get the job done with prescision. Dont know about you but its hard to spend that much on a scope that costs as much as an entry level 50 BMG

17. jasonpa

jasonpa New Member

bad scopes

my friend just dropped off his 300 winmag and his new counter sniper 3-25x56 for me to put on and sight in.i do this all the time for my friends.i mount the scope.the 1st thing i find wrong is that the rings wont lay flush to the base because of the bolt that you tighten the mounts with hits and wont go down into the grove.so i dremel the weaver base to make the groves big enough.that worked but shouldnt have had to be done.next i bore sight it and it dosent have enough adjustment to even bore sight it.i know you can shim it but this is ridicoulus on a supposedly quality tactical scope that our military supposedly uses.which i highly doubt but i could be wrong with our current administration.next i look through the scope at my 100yd target to find that the scope is hazy,so i assume this is a focal adjustment.i adjusted it every way possible and it is just a hazy scope.then i shot it.after the first shot there was a black floater in the scope.after the second shot it cleared up.i would never buy one of these scopes.i would buy a tasco 1st and that will never happen.i think these scopes are a scam.in counter snipers defense it is possible that this is just a bad scope but if this is an example of all of there scopes they are junk.i hate junk scopes

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hi Jason,

When mounting scopes check to see that Weaver style rings are used on Weaver style bases. Mixing Weaver style and Picatinny style tends to cause problems, as they are similar but not the same. There are a couple of styles of Pic ring, one of them has a rounded cross bar. Sounds like this is what you encountered. Fitting it without properly milling it is next to futile.

Also, rings should always be lapped and properly torqued. These are the two main reasons a scope will be cloudy. If the scope is cloudy out of the box (before mounting) there is a problem. But if it looks clear until it is mounted, then goes cloudy after mounting, it needs lapping and torquing.

If a scope is mounted and suffers some "flex" in the process it is common for minute pieces of glue, paint, etc to "pop free" and become "floaters". The best way to see them is to look through the objective end. It acts like a microscope and will show any loose particles.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You used a dremal on scope mounts? OMG I can't believe you admitted to that. Sounds to me like you have the wrong mounts or rings.