thoughts on colt xse

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by kiabe1, Dec 6, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I'm thinking of picking up a colt xse with the duckbill grip safety. What are your thoughts

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt is making the best production 1911's on the market. i dont think you will be displeased. ive got 3 current production colt 1911 an old 1970's production.

ive had several other brands colt is the best out there period.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm with Jon on this. I've had a few other 1911s and my current Colt Gold Cup is the best one I've owned.

4. mdwalkerjr

mdwalkerjr New Member Supporter

I bought a Commander xse and like it a lot. With more range time may love it. ;-). Of course that assumes my wife doesn't end up liking it more than her HKc.

5. mdwalkerjr

I bought a Commander xse and like it a lot. More range time and I may love it. Of course that assumes when my wife shoots it she won't want it over her HKc. ;-)

6. mdwalkerjr

Sorry about the double post.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, it's a Colt. i seriously doubt you'll ever go wrong in buying it.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My only thoughts are where can I actually find one for sale. I see Colt 1911's in gun stores about as often as I see Bigfoot. :p

9. mdwalkerjr

I bought mine online and had it shipped to a lgs.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I checked it out, ended up with a Gold Cup Trophy (before the crapstorm), but the difference is immaterial, other than the sight picture, the thumb safety (if I remember correctly) and the looks. No bum rap on this one, it is a low risk purchase. Colts depreciate well.

11. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I have purchased a Colt LWC and a Gold Cup Match and the rest of my pistols are being neglected.

12. Axxe55

IMO, you will never go wrong in buying a Colt 1911. :D

13. Ara

Ara New Member

I picked up a colt xse last year and have put a few thousand rounds in it. It goes bang every single time. Never had a single hiccup.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

I think that speaks to their quality. People buy them fast and hold onto them, maybe?

15. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My one LGS has Colt's from time to time. I have never seen a used one there though.

16. mdwalkerjr

Bought mine new at gunsamerica.com from a dealer. NIB. Pristine condition when I picked it up.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I see used Colts for sale all the time in Indiana. It varies among dealers, and possibly state to state due to restrictions.

18. mdwalkerjr

You're lucky. In CA for example you can only buys hand gun on the DOJ approved list. Take a look at it sometime and see how few there are. Then think of how many people want to buy one. Makes finding what you want very tough. For example, the Colt Commander LW xse isn't on the list. None of the Ruger 1911s are on the list. No Glock Gen 4s are on the list.

19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Did a couple of years in Purgatory, er CA, in the early 90's, not the place for me.

20. Axxe55

my LGS usually stocks a decent assortment of various 1911's, and will have the occasional Colt 1911 for sale, usually used and usually sold fairly quickly.

just last year, i saw a really nice used Colt Commander in excellent condition for $900 and went back the following weekend to purchase it, only to find out it had sold a couple of days prior. i instead ended up buying my Remington R1 Enhanced.