Thoughts on a $599 AR?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by janikphoto, Sep 3, 2008.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I'm sure some of you have seen the $599 AR made by Century... I think JG Sales has it, and I know Classic Arms has it.

http://www.classicarms.us/

I'm not big into AR's, but thought about getting one and adding one of those Havoc flare/grenade/smoke launchers:

http://www.weaponeer.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=231

The launcher just doesn't look right on anything besides an AR, and a decent entry-level rifle would help me get my feet wet in a new platform. So, what are your thoughts?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

It's probably fine for an entry-level rifle. It probably won't have the fit and finish a higher-end rifle would have, but if it's milspec, you should not have problems modifying it as time, money and interest permit.

Just so you know, you can purchase a complete upper, lower and stock separately and put them together yourself and save quite a bit that way.

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The Century AR's are put together from used and mix & match parts. I would rather put in a couple hundred more for a new rifle.

4. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Yeah, I knew that... but a couple hundred more covers the cost of the launcher. Maybe I'll just stick with my original plan and get a cetme. It might look cool with the launcher AND it is .308, which will pack a punch!!!

I had been thinking about buying a kit or a finished upper and lower, but thought this $599 package was cheap enough. Plus, I've always liked the classic military m-16 look. This would be more of a fun gun than a shtf or survival weapon, anyway.

I guess I should focus my limited income on more useful firearms first. Honestly, I may wind up buying a good 9mm for when I get my chl later this year. I don't want to carry my 1911. So, I guess this whole AR idea is pointless right now.

5. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Nothing wrong with either, really. For the price of that AR, you could modify it quite a bit before you got up to the price of any of the 'brand' name guns or add the flare launcher. I haven't found much use for the M203 yet, specially since you are pretty much limited to flares and smoke. But it is a cool 'toy' and yes it does add some looks to an AR - and WEIGHT! :D

I enjoy my CETME alot. It was alot cheaper than any of the HK's I have, and just as reliable - but it did take some tuning to get to that state. From a distance, most would not be able to tell them apart (hint- look at the mags). And out shooting, it's a hoot to watch those to the right of you doing some pretty wild dance moves when hot brass is raining down on them. I thought my HK's could launch the brass, the CETME is the distance king :p

Or like you said, save it all up for a nice carry piece. Any ideas what kind of 9mm you are looking for? Just a hint...for the price...but they do have a little weight to them...the CZ-75B ;)

Slo

6. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

yes, the launcher would really be for looks, as a "toy".

yes, the cetme can send brass flying, and I can only imagine would be a sweet firearm. That's why it's on my short list.

I was thinking about a glock 26 with grip extension as one option for the CCW. We'll see what happens...

7. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

You can pick up a DPMS for around that price (pretty basic model, but it is good quality). If you have a hankerin for an AR I would recommend that route. Good luck!

8. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Another option on that AR - check out J & T Distributing...they have kits that start like at $459, plus another $100 for a lower receiver, and you can put it together and learn alot more about your AR.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/kits_car.html

And yes, the Glock would be a decent CCW. Not my particular choice, but to each his own.

Slo

9. bkt

bkt New Member

Check out the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com if you think you might want to put together your own. You might come in at the same price, or maybe spend a little more. But you would be able to choose good, quality brands.

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I just bought a Century Arms AR in question. Mine is an AR-15A2 with a 20" barrel and standard round handguards as well as a standard rifle stock. All of the external parts are Century Arms made parts including the upper and lower but all of the internal parts are "Colt".

Mine came with an Acu-Wedge installed in the lower, dealer said they all come like that, but only came with one 30-round mag.

I've not had any problems with function yet, and the rifle looks indentical to my dad's Colt AR-15A2, bought about 15 years ago and his cost him around $1,600.

I have plans of putting a 6-pos adjustable stock on mine and maybe a set of tactical handguards to enable use of a bi-pod.

11. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

My last AR was an A3 with a 20 inch fluted barrel and standard fixed stock with round handguards. Chrome bolt and carrier, storage compartment handgrip, bayonet and bayonet lug on front sight. It was brand new on an Olympic Arms upper and lower. It came with the cleaning kit in the buttstock, 1 30-round mag and sling. It also had a cheap plastic shippng case and manual reprint.

Total price, with taxes, etc was $960.

Nothing fancy; just a stock, issue type gun that would be handed to any grunt. I'm sure this could improved on and tightened / smoothed up but this is a baseline to start with that is under the magic $1000.

Also, just my personal experience and preference, I like to use standard issue type guns. Improvements are fine, but I worry about guns that are so "fine-tuned" that in field conditions they jam. In wars, the side with the simplest and cheapest weapons usually wins. Operators (people - pilots, grunts, tankers, etc) are what is hard to replace.

Just my 2 cents worth from the Peoples Soviet of Washington State.

12. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

The beauty of a modular rifle. Everything is replaceable. As long as you have a lower, you can change any part and it will fit. You will need to know if it's mil-spec or commerical. You can put either part on either lower, but you cannot put mil-spec stock on a commercial buffer tube, or vice versa. They measure differently. Threads on lower are the same, but size of tube is different. I changed springs in my lower. Went from 6.5 lb pull on trigger to 3.5 lbs....sweet! If you buy stripped lower and build it yourself, you can do it for about $500 and get a great rifle built for you and by you and can change it back and forth from pistol to rifle. Anyway..just my 2 cents worth.

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have put together a few of J&T's Doublestar kits, and have no complaints about the quality. Quality stripped lowers are hovering in the $50 range around this area. Depending on where you are $100 sounds fair.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A six year old thread and a recent off topic reply, Texas?

Nice to see some once familiar names from members past, though.

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Oh crap. I didn't even look at the dates. :D

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, I got sucked into the black hole, too! :D

17. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Zombie thread....

18. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

I need to change my name. Don't live in Texas anymore. North frozen tundra now.

19. EmperorMA

EmperorMA New Member

Just get a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport or a Bushmaster XM-15. Both can usually be found for around $650, or so. Either is a great rifle and a nice platform for add-ons.

20. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with an older thread . I like the nostalgia and who knows maybe old members will get a response notification in their email and so come back??

As for the original topic just bought a $599 AR15 .
    The Bravo Rifle from Troy was on Black Friday Sale