Thoughts on a 357 lever action rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Mick3411, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I have a GP 100 in 357/38 and wanted a rifle in the same caliber. I know Rossi, Marlin and Henry make 357 lever actions and it seems only the Rossi is available where I am. I heard negatives and positives on all three and I know there is a big price difference.

What are your thoughts about a 357 rifle? Any have experience with Rossi, Marlin or Henry in that caliber?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Years ago I had a Rossi and it was a lemon. New ones might be better.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The only one capable of taking optics is the Marlin. I have an H&R single shot 357 and am pretty happy with it. Less than $300 otd. Mine is optics only but they do make a model with irons. I had one of the Rossi levers years ago and it was pretty decent but I was having eye problems and could not use the irons so I sold it. The Rossi is hit or miss on quality. They seem to be either good or bad.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Of the three, My only pick would be the Marlin

5. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Personally I don't see a need for a scope on a lever gun but that's just me. Of the three you mentioned I would go with the Henry first, then the Rossi, and sadly last and least the marlington.

6. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I picked up a Rossi 357 back in January. Its a little rough around the edges, but they clean up nice. If you don't mind spending some time doing some minor work, they are good guns. Its an absolute blast to shoot. It was also drilled and tapped for a scope mount under the rear sight. I don't plan on scoping mine, but I did replace the rear sight with a marbles bullseye. Its a very fun, and easy gun to shoot. I don't regret it one bit. Just have to be aware of what you are looking at with Rossi. Give it a good look before bringing it home with you and you should have a good gun.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man I love a 38/357 lever gun. Out of the ones I've seen I likes the Henry and the Marlin best. I have no issue with Rossi but I've not held one of their lever guns so I can't give any real opinion on them. Most all the revolvers I've seen of theirs seemed to be pretty well made though.

8. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

38 and 357 are great cal i personaly would go with a marlin model 1894 44 mag lever i got 1 and its great

9. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I have one on my marlin 336 30-30 but its a deer rifle. I do agree if you have a pistol cartridge lever gun

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I apologize. I meant a lever gun in a pistol caliber doesn't need a scope. You are right.

11. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Ruger 77 in 357

Just discovered Ruger makes a bolt action in 357 which is very cost competitive with the Marlin and Henry lever actions. What do you think?

Mick

12. JTJ

Try and find one of the Rugers. I am on a couple of notification lists.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am curious why you feel you don't need a scope on a pistol caliber lever rifle. I don't understand why not. :confused:

14. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I have Rossi in .357 mag. I had it for several years and really haven't shot it enough to get it broke in. The lever action is still a bit stiff, but if worked enough, I expect it to smooth out and be a nice gun.

15. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I can dig it!

Attached Files:

16. JTJ

Pistol caliber rifles are generally considered short range or up to 100 yards. Also most found their homes in saddle scabbards and were treated quite roughly. Some people with not so good eyes need optics and a good low power scope really helps. I was having eye trouble a while back, since had surgery, and could not use the irons. I still do not care for open sights but do like peep/receiver sights. That is why the military used them. It is hard to beat a good peep sight with a fiber optic front sight for fast close range shooting especially in a rough environment. That said, the optical sights have come a long way and are pretty rugged now a days. That is why the military has been using more of them. A red dot is faster and more accurate but you are battery dependent in most cases and we still have to contend with Murphy's Law.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  17. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I have a Henry Big Boy, it's a great rifle.
    I might swap out the sights later, but for now, it[s a great piece; accurate, sturdy, excellent fit & finish and a beautiful machine all the way around.

18. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Well I took the plunge and bought a Ruger 77/357 today. Got a reasonable price and looks to be in great shape

19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

An excellent choice.
    We will need a range report as soon as possible!

20. JTJ

I am anxious to see a range report. I have been looking for a 77/357 for a while. What is the actual weight of yours?