Thoughts About Neck Lanyard

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by babyblueeyes, May 31, 2007.

1. babyblueeyes

babyblueeyes New Member

What do you all think about the neck lanyard idea? Do you think it is safe enough or do you think it is too much hassle?

2. Trooper7687

Trooper7687 New Member

Very bad idea, in close quarters it can be used to strangle you, better to have the lanyard attached to the belt

3. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Out of curiosity, what is the intent behind carrying a lanyard? I would be cautious about leaving the house with anything already wrapped around my neck. Seems like an oppertune thing to be used against you for choking.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Well, it's for when your galloping across the plain on your horse, you don't drop your pistol in a pile of buffalo poop.

5. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

Well then, since the buffs are all but gone, I guess it should be put in the cupboard with my buggy whip.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You never know when a good buggy whip will come in handy.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Isn't that what a holster is for?

8. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

But the cat-o-nine tails is much more fun.... :cool:

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Great idea only if it is a "Break-away" type neck lanyard and the only thing you have on it is a whistle, keys, a small knife or an ID badge. Guns...no way.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I tried to wear my house key around my neck when I was about 12. For about 3 days. Since then I have never worn anything around my neck, I don't like the feeling or the potential for its use against me.

YMMV

11. freefall

freefall New Member

I used to wear a watch around my neck. I kept breaking them on my wrist or in my pocket. Now I have a phone that tells the time. I hear several respected firearms trainers say a lanyard loop is essential on a fighting pistol but am not sure I care to have my pistol tied to me.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

a holster is a place to keep a pistol when not in use. a lanyard is to retain your pistol if the holster fails to retain the pistol. mainly useful if your running around ducking and dodging. not very important for civilian use. i like the loop itself as it is an excellent physical force multplier if used hand to hand style. the lanyard loop on military style 1911A1 mainspring housings make excellent tools to fracture skull bones on a pistol whipping in hand to hand combat. i been looking for on for my colt series 70 and new agent.

[​IMG]

the little bump on the bottom of the grip is the lanyard loop.

i used to have to wear a lanyard as an MP hated the thing always getting snagged on everything but i see the uses of it. i personally dont like loose strings flopping about.

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I wasn't aware of using a lanyard with guns. After reading this thread I'm convinced I don't like the idea of them.

14. moonpie

moonpie New Member

i can understand their use in a bygone time but today there is less chance of being unhorsed in a cavalry charge.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I run a dual drop holster for my dual AR pistols in 308. The lanyard runs to my custom made harness system. It keeps everything with me even if my Tactical indoor assault vehicle rolls over while racing around the water fountain..

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, at least they are in .308, not a girlie .223. :p