Thought I would share

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by USNWO, Apr 3, 2011.

1. USNWO

USNWO New Member

So on Friday, I was teaching my green backs how to properly clean their rifles. Because even sailors need to know. Well this kid (couldn't be twenty), had his rifle pointed right at his head, looking down the barrel. He thought that was the proper way to see if there was any gunk on the inside of the barrel. Luckily, the rifle wasn't loaded.

Lets just say that myself, an ensign, the Master Chief Petty Officer, and a Petty Officer 1st class were all in his face, very quickly.

So for anyone who is thinking about taking formal classes, please don't do this! Your instructor would probably not enjoy having a heart attack.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

People that say "There is no such thing as a stupid question." have never taught a batch of military basic trainees.

My absolute joy, tho- last assignment before retiring, I was one of the few combat arms officers assigned to a school unit. We literally has dozens of O-5 instructors- and they were all non-combat branches- Staff Judge Advocate, General Staff, Finance, Quartermaster.

Guess who got to take them out for their annual "weapons familiarization" fire? Pistol, Caliber 45, and Rifle, M16A2. SHUDDER! Had one gent that had not fired a rifle since the M1 Garand, and was looking for a means to shove the magazine in from the top- a la 8 rd en bloc clip.

Did I get any sympathy from my Colonel? No- he was hard core artillery. Said "Somebody's got to do it. I prefer someone that has seen the elephant. Be glad it's rifles and not howitzers. But don't worry- if they shoot you, we'll get you into Arlington." :eek:

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Maybe he'll be Vice President some day...

[​IMG]

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Whats messed up is I had a Chief Master Sergent, E-9, highest attainable enlisted rank in the Air Force. She was in the Qualification class for M-16 and the woman couldn't remember anything about the weapons platform and she had like 25 years in service. Just my luck she was next to me. I had all rounds down range before she had even began shooting. Couldn't even remember how to load the damn thing.

5. USNWO

USNWO New Member

I completely agree with you there. There are stupid questions. Alot of them. More than can be counted.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I shot a 60/50 because of a similar situation. :D

49/50 is my best without help.

7. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

At that level she is a 100% administrator, no combat use, so no surprise she couldn't operate a rifle.
    I taught kids how to use M-14s and 1911s in my swabbie days, and we had everything from one young kid who turned his head, eyes squeezed shut, and dumped a fuill mag of 45ACP ball into the flight deck, to a good old boy who shot an almost perfect score with the M14, only to grouse he'd left his glasses behind and might have done better with them.
    Heck, on my ship we had 4 Ruger Service Six revolvers with no ammo, holster, speedloaders, nothing, and no explanation. I bought ammo and we had fun bringing them out of semi-retirement.
    Glad to see your epsidoe went well - I got to fire 5 rounds from a Colt Ace in boot camp, and no chance to even check my target.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Good Deal USNWO!! Nobody died!!

9. USNWO

USNWO New Member

And whats worse is this SAME cadet was CHEWING GUM IN MY FORMATION! Smackin' it like a cow chewing it's cud. WHATS WORSE IS HE DIDN'T GIVE ME A PIECE!!! I probably wouldn't of yelled at him so much if he gave me a piece...

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I was in a course for defense shooting, like protecting a target, moving with a target what not. There was a guy I won't name him he was completly and underly useless. He dropped his gun more then a hooker drops her pants on a weekend. The biggest mistake he made was not listening we were shooting and moving just basic anyone could do this I thought he fell face first when he went to get up his finger was still on the trigger he shot a 9mm round straight through the window of a truck.

I really look up to firearm trainers sometimes they don't relize how much danger there in. He should have been taken out of the class before that but I don't know why he wasn't but after that he was pretty much asked to leave.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was part of a Marine rifle range contingent at Little Creek conducting M16 fam fire for Midshipmen bussed in from the USNA. Had to bust heavy on a few future ossifers :cool: but never caught anybody looking into the business end.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Thought I would share some past training too! :cool:

Rated "R" for salty training language.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Vod8NUE0M]YouTube - 18B Special CNN Report[/ame]

13. USNWO

USNWO New Member

Lord have mercy, this youngin' is gonna be the death of me. So today, I was standing in front of a wall, talking to a petty officer 1st class. And new the trainee had a knife. Who ever gave it to him...well they'll get theirs. Anyways, I'm standing there talking, and I reckon the trainee was goofing off, or whatever. Next thing I know, I feel the breeze by ear. The moron threw the knife and it came so close to my head, if I had any hair there, it woulda been gone.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Once these guys off themselves you'll be relieved of your problem.

They say death is the only sure cure for stupid.

15. USNWO

USNWO New Member

I'm very tempted to "accidentally" push him over the side...

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

17. cuate

cuate New Member

Dealing with Firearm Careless Folks

Chief, you did good ! I doubt that lad will ever forget the lesson. We in the USMC had a few "Gomers" that fouled up at the range...Me ? I wanted to be a sailor because my super great Step-Dad was around WWI time on a Destroyer.

Well the Navy took a good look at me and decided that I was mule headed enough to carry a pack and steel pot on my head and a 9 pound M1 rifle up and down the hills of Asia and put me in the Navy's Infantry, Pay was good enough for the women and song what liberty we got, no complaints.

Keep up the good work and , well, thanks for serving our Country !

18. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

Knife? At sea? What the heck happened to regulations? I couldn't carry a "combat" or "throwing" knife on board ship! I had tools everywhere, but not something like that! Egads.

19. USNWO

USNWO New Member

I completely agree.

Hahaha thanks...and if you must address me by rank, its Lieutenant Commander :)

Right now, they're on dry land. The Navy says they have to learn how to shoot, throw knives, and aim the guns on land first. The Navy also wants new sailors to at least be able to defend themselves and their ship. And thats because of the Gulf War, the 9/11 attacks, the rise in piracy, and because we're doing a lot more operations in the Middle East. If you ask me, however, no Sailor has ever needed training to defend their ship. For the six months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months ect that you're on that ship, its your home.

And trust me, if someone comes in/on your home and puts you in harm's way, puts your way of life in harm's way, I'll bet my bottom dollar you're gonna do whatever you can to defend it. Regardless of rules, regs, or training. I mean think about it. If someone comes in your home, you're gonna grab the shotgun, the pistol, the bow and arrow, something, anything, and you're gonna defend your home, am I right? Say yes.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  20. USNWO

USNWO New Member

Forgot this...oopss

I forgot to mention that I had a very interesting phone call today. The mother of one of my recruits called me today to complain about the way I was treating her, and I quote little baby pie end quote. I love it when mothers call me...gives me ammo. {Evil DI Laugh}

SO for anyone is going into basic/advanced training:
    Do NOT, under any circumstances, call your mother and complain. Because then your mother calls your DI and complains, and when that happens, your DI will torture you more. Its a vicious cycle.