Those visitors that pick up your gun and pull the trigger while looking at it.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Fuzzy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy New Member

Yeah, had one of those the other day. I handed it to him, mind you I knew it was unloaded, I only got pissed at him because if the safety was off It could damage my firing pin seeing as it was cocked and my gun is rimfire. I should just get in the habit of saying 'don't pull the trigger' instead of assuming such and such is smart enough to not go pulling triggers. ~.~

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

So you knowingly handed a firearm to a moron? Who is to blame here? I try to not allow morons anywhere near my firearms or even in my house.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I never show any firearms to people unless I know they are firearms and safety knowledgeable.

IMO, displaying of firearms should be done in three circumstances:
    1. When selling
    2. When shooting
    3. To stop a threat

4. steve666

steve666 New Member

"…The gun accidentally fired, and he was struck by a bullet in the head.”
    "The person was just looking at the gun, and he was unfamiliar with it and it discharged," said Sgt. David Walker of the Van Buren County Sheriff's Office…"

This wouldn’t have happened if he had done like his Mama said, “Look with your eyes, not your hands!”

Sounds like Sgt. Dave shouldn’t have a gun either. He sure doesn’t know how firearms work, they don’t go off just because you look at them!

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I wouldn’t presume that someone not familiar with firearms would know why one shouldn’t dry fire a pistol. I didn’t.

I would expect a friend/visitor who was not familiar with firearms would presume the firearm just handed to him by someone who was familiar with firearms that it would be unloaded or otherwise safe to handle as your visitor did.

The clerks that have let me examine pistols ALWAYS racked the slide open before they handed it to me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Marine Corps RO, "unload, show clear!"
    This ensures that the shooter and everyone on the line knows that all weapons are "safe" (quotation marks denote a salute to the first rule of firearm safety, treat every weapon as is it were loaded)

Your friend pulling the trigger on a rim fire shows lack of knowledge on his part, educate him. If you can't educate him, and he's stupid, find another friend.

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have had visitors like this. More than once I was doing something like cleaning one of my guns when visitors showed up. Most of the time the visitor is smart and courteous enough to leave someone's gun alone, but there was one particular person who used to pick up the handgun I had out and look at it without being invited. This is the same irritating person who was quite concerned because I had one of my guns out while his kids were in my house, never mind that I as sitting there with it the whole time. Usually I would just put the gun away while they were there and try to keep the peace, but sometimes it was disassembled. I had to sit there the whole time to make sure they didn't disturb the different parts.

This is the same guy who used to come over and sit down at my computer and start using it without being invited. A computer is one thing, a gun is another.

8. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

That would not happen in my house! My computer (and my guns) are off-limits to anyone except my wife.

9. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Luckily I don't have a lot friends, I already thinned out the herd, and the ones that made the cut are gun savvy. No one really asks to touch my firearms, they'll ask to see them at times but they won't touch them. I'd have a conniption if they started to play with them without asking me first.

10. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I actually have no problem with people touching most of my guns.
    I find that it helps with 2A propaganda.

1) always make sure rifle or pistol is unloaded.

2) tell them whether or not to dry fire.

3) refer them to a "quality" instructor.

4) Let them know they can be a citizen & protect there family.

Of course there are the exceptions, you touch my guns & I'll brake your fingers.

Attached Files:

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I dont have any friends that I would not trust to pick up one of my guns. My friends are all gun savy. We all have to get together to show off our latest toy. Every real friend I have, I have shot with.

My brothers and sister on the other hand are idiots. They are not allowed to even look with their eyes!!!!

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Well any of my friends that are "Gun Friends" would and do handle my guns as they would want me to handle theirs, I don't pull a trigger on anyones gun unless I'm shooting it.

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

The guy who did this was an in-law. Have any of you ever had an in-law that you thought was a pain-in-the-a$$? I put a stop to this practice and it was made known that my computer, stereo, guns, tools, etc. were off limits. When asked why I simply answer, "because I said so".

14. orangello

orangello New Member

This works for me, at least with the goofballs i know. Now, i did have to let a nephew know that the mag he had just picked up for the cz52 was in fact loaded, but only one time.

edit* it occurs to me that my lack of transient trigger-puller trouble might also have something to do with my firearms being stored loaded.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  15. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

I have only shown my guns (with exception to the gun savvy friends) when I have my wife's friends or family over and they ask about them. At this point since they aren't anti gun but also aren't pro gun I will take them out one at a time explain to them what it means for it to be loaded, and how to check that it is unloaded. I would then advise them any other info specific to that firearm and if I trusted them I would verify the weapon is clear then hand it to them (slide not locked back) and have them perform a clear check. That way if they are ever in a scenario where they need to clear or verify a clear firearm they are aware of how to do so. That being said before a firearm is handed over as I mentioned I personally check it then they are advised what to do and what not to do when examining it.

16. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

All my freinds that's asked to see any of my guns were gun savvy .Also i've only have had a few to ask and usually then it's right after a new purchase .

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Exactly! Use your knowledge to educate people who are open to it. Any person who pulls a trigger when handed a gun is ignorant. The stupid ones cannot be educated and overcome their ignorance. You will never know unless you try.

Follow up to the OP's original question: Have you ever handed a gun to someone and they look down the muzzle:eek:? Yeesh! Gives me the willies! Its only happened once to me but in all fairness the guy did become educated pretty darned quickly.

18. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

You know the definition of "assume"...

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I don't mind showing off my guns. Heck, I concider it a compliment if someone likes them enough to ask about them. But no one out of the family touches them without asking. The main reason for this is because I keep most of my guns loaded and I don't feel like scraping grey matter off the ceiling and patching the hole. I don't touch other people's guns either without their permission, and I will probably never dry fire their gun unless they tell me to.

20. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I keep a couple for the "idiots" to handle. Never know when you might need a gun with somebody elses prints on it... :D

(I'm kidding)