This week's pin shoot

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by NGIB, Feb 12, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Well, the next opportunity for me to suck is Wednesday. I got the new Sig along with the holster & mag carrier so I think I'll give it a shot. I have a box of old Winchester JHP so I may use it to "break in" the Sig and give me a tad of an edge - which I really need based on how I've been shooting lately.

Spitty, we'll try to get the next one setup for a Monday, which shouldn't be to difficult...

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Good luck with your new gun Dave!

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Dave,

You need to pick up a Smith 625 for pin shoots. It is the best pin gun out there in my opinion.

Scubie

PS, without pictures it didn't happen. :cool:

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Maybe I can finally find a use for those Rainier hollow points I picked up a couple years ago.....not that they expand anyway.

5. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Last pin matches winner was using 147 grain 9mm hp. (They may have been loaded alittle on the heavy side. :D

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Range bag is packed. I'm bringing the new P220 as well as my trusty old P229 in .40 for the shoot. Put the .460 in my beater Mil-Spec and hope to have a chance to try it out on a pin...

7. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Missed you tonight, however it was a bust as only 3 of us showed up. We gotta do something to get more folks to show up.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I got hit with something late in the afternoon that was not real pleasant. Some nasty virus going around I suspect...

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Any pictures of your pin shoots? Where can I get info on setting up a match?

10. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Well it's not technically a picture, but you can hopefully get the idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nWKOj6HBZw&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Mission Essential Match 2[/ame]

11. silentghost

silentghost New Member

We quit using cinder block as we were getting some "feedback" from downrange. Tires worked really well, but rolling 16 of them in and out became frustrating. We now are using plastic 55 gallon barrels to hold up the boards, they work well too, and there is only 4 of them.

12. danf_fl

We used to use full 4X8 sheets of plywood. What are your platform dimensions?

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This video was shot a little while before I moved to the area and started to shoot the matches. The cinderblocks supporting the "tables" were replaced with old tires by the time I started to shoot. Last shoot we used plastic 55 gallon barrels.

(I hit reply before I saw that SG had already explained the changes)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  14. spittinfire

I wonder if I could talk this new range into hosting these things once they get opened. Looks like a blast.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on...

16. spittinfire

If clothing becomes optional I think I might have to leave.

17. silentghost

silentghost New Member

Well, I was paying for the plywood sheets myself, (and people cant help but shoot the table tops, so I got cheap and started using 2' x 4' precut sheets of plywood. I either cut them myself or by them precut.

The way that we have the tables set on the barrels now, 3 of the pins are on the board and the other two are on the barrels. It works. Rippin a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood seems to work the best, but it gets spendy after a while. Plus it is harder to stow the sheets behind the range when they are that long. We shoot at probably 7 yards.

18. danf_fl

Looks like fun. Thanks for the info.

19. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I miss the pin shoots:mad:

I bet all you guys are actually doing well since I left though huh? NGIB can probably win one now, although I'm sure he is still licking his wounds after I whooped that tail last time we went head to head. :D

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I whip out an old adage for you:

"Even the sun shines on a dog's azz some days"...:D