this seems like a good bill

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by jjfuller1, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bkt

bkt New Member

*scratching my empty head*

Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't read enough, but if a state like New York punishes those who possess handguns without a New York State permit as a felon, I'm not sure I understand how someone from Vermont, who does not need a permit in Vermont to carry concealed, were to enter New York carrying concealed would be free from prosecution/persecution. How do you manage this "in accordance with local laws"??

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

true that is a good point.

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I think that the states that don't require a permit have a system to apply for an out of state license.. I heard something on that a while ago.. So ppl from Vermont would come into ny with a permit to carry outside of their own state...

However....

I live in nys. And I don't think the cops will put up with this too much at all. Also I've been waiting 20 years already and I got another 6 months till I turn 21.. Then I have to pass a background check, interview and reference check which takes up to 6 months or more.... So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...

Oh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only
    Go to retired officers...

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Actually this is a county by county thing. I live in Franklin County NY and I just received my permit. Up here the logic is; either you can be trusted with a gun, or can't, period. It doesn't make much sense to trust someone with a gun for target shooting but not trust them otherwise, if they're going to have access to a gun all the time anyway.
    (On the other hand, maybe I received my CCW because I'm not exactly a 'normal citizen'. ;) )

Here's a map to NYS pistol permit restrictions county by county. I don't know how up to date it is. Check with your county clerk for the definitive answer:

http://marylandshallissue.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

In some counties you can have restrictions lifted after a year or so, presuming you haven't gone and shot anyone, etc.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

New york might as well be its own country with its f*ed up laws.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you are incorrect...NYS is a Concealed Carry State, with some counties imposing restrictions

correct. in my county its five years after inital issuance that you can "upgrade" to unrestricted, carry concealed...

back to the topic. i think out of staters would be able 2 attain some way of carrying legally

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

The way I am understanding this is that in my home state of VT I can carry concealed (no permit required). NY allows concealed carry (with permit). Therefore according to Thune-Vitter I would be allowed to exercise my VT rights by carrying concealed in NY.

That would make living in VT even more totally awesome! :D

Suck it NY'ers!!! :p :D

8. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ok Yeahh I do live in Nassau county... But like u said.. They trust u to have it anyways so what's the point.. I just wish long island would become its own state so we can get new laws and mor federal aid.... We have more population than like 6 states and we are already bigger than rhode island... I don't know where we would fit the 51's start on the flag tho lol

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

9. bkt

bkt New Member

Except that New York State has no reciprocity with any other state. If the Feds push the issue, then they are stepping on state law. That's an overreach, IMO. It would be better if the NYS legislature changed the law.

Well, they can't. At least not yet.

That's not correct. Plenty of counties in New York State issue concealed carry permits to anyone who wants them. Counties around New York City are a different story.

10. bkt

bkt New Member

Don't make me come over there.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can't. No reciprocity! Lol

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Would you apply that to drivers licenses as well? Should one state be allowed to deny another states drivers license?

13. bkt

bkt New Member

Nice! But, I don't own a handgun because I refuse to register my firearms. I'm in Bennington often enough, though. The only nice things about Vermont are Ben & Jerry's ice cream (never mind the politics), the foliage and lay of the land, and the gun laws. Pretty much everything else is a leftist/hippie haven. :D

14. bkt

bkt New Member

I don't believe one should need a government-issued license to travel.