This one is for canebrake, my first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DodgerBlue, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Once I was and maybe still am a big Glock guy. Plenty of good debates here on this forum.

I sold off my Glock 32 and 36. I still miss them, but with that, I am now a proud 1911 owner.

I am really happy. I traded up into a Sig 1911 Scorpion. And I like it!

There will still be a place in my heart for Glock but I now understand what people have been saying about the 1911.

With my money I went to buy a 1911. I started low cause I wanted to enjoy the hunt. I first looked a Springfield mil spec. It was ok. 2nd was a Springfield range officer. Same, it was ok. 3rd was a Remington R1. Again, ok I guess. I skipped right over the Rock Islands.

Now to the 1911's in the "special case". 1st I looked at Mimber or Kimber to some. The ones in my price range. 800-900. Custom II I think Blued and Stainless. They both seemed average. IDK maybe I'm crazy. And only 1 mag was in box. So I moved on. All other Mimbers were to much money.

Moved on and saw the Sig lineup. The Scorpion caught my eye. I held it and fell in love. Great feel in one hand. The custom G10 grips are so aggressive I almost couldn't put it down. Mag eject is like spring loaded. Shot right out.

I like the flat trigger as well. Clean and crisp. Plus, 2 SS magazines!

Two things I didn't like! That dam light railing. That adds how much weight?? 2nd, safety lever on both sides. I only need one side. But that's being picky.

Bought and brought it home with a box of Hornady Z-Max Zommbie ammo.
    will break it in this weekend with some ball ammo.

Pictures will be coming soon

2. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Congrats man! Unfortunately cane won't be too happy you bought a Sig 1911 b/c of the squarish look of the Sigs (just from his "choosing your first 1911 stickie) but he'll be happy you are a proud owner of a 1911. (Just saying Cane) I was so close to buying a Scorpion because they look sooo sick! I just couldn't get past the rail. I'm not a fan of rails on 1911's. With that being said, I bought myself the Sig Stx which has been an absolute dream to shoot! So accurate and flawless! Good pick bro, welcome to the 1911 and welcome to The Most underrated "big manufacturer" 1911. Lets see the pics! And just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the ole gal?

3. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

961.00 USD out the door.

And Im glad Im not the only one who hates that dang rail!

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

If you ever want it refinished think about getting a good gunsmith with a background in machining and ask about getting it ground off.

5. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Not bad man not bad, I gotta a pretty good deal on my Stx as well. Get some pics and a freaking range report! I've heard nothing but excellent things about the fit and finish of the scorpion

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I recently had a 1911 window shopping day, spent about 3.5 hours or so in one store alone. I really liked the Colts the best, but an extremely close second were the Sigs. I didn't even like the feel of the S&W's, which is kind of my go to brand, in comparison to the Colts and Sigs.

Congrats on your purchase! I really like those.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Congrats on your new 1911 brother..

8. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Don't think I could go through it

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Lol well I mean if you hate the rail... ,It does sound drastic,but I don't see why it would be anymore complicated than getting lightening holes cut in a slide,or getting it flat topped and slab sided. But I wouldn't do it if I thought I may EVER sell it.

That type of work is for the gun you know will stay in the family.

10. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Looking closer at my new Scorpion I find out I have the Carry! I thought it felt really good in hand for a full size 1911. Really excited about getting out tomorrow and getting off 200 at least.
    Now if I can just find a way to carry with that dang rail!

11. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

If you check out s&s holsters he makes iwb holsters for a railed sig 1911. Pretty b/a work. Cost ya about $90-$100

12. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

If they would have had an STX I would be owning that model over the Scorpion! Been look at em and they are sweet! Feel free to send me your STX and Ill send you mine!

13. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I have some questions. How do y'all like the sig 1911s? I have a sig 220 platinum, 220 carry, SA MC Operator, and a colt CCO, but I've been trying get honest opinions of the sig 1911. I'm interested in either the sig scorpion or TACOPS, I don't care of railed or not.

I know the Texas highway patrol SWAT team just picked up the TACOPS, after comparing it to several other manufacturers. The scorpion is a pretty pistol and I've definitely done some checking on it.

I am looking for a 1911 that can stand the test of time and can handle some abuse, cause I've abused some of my pistols in the past. I am Glock fan, so that set my standards for reliability, but I am also a 1911 fan and they set the standard on accuracy and reliability. Glock also has a price advantage also, cause the I won't do to my 1911 what I've done to my Glocks.

I would like to see some picks and range report on the sig 1911s, cause if I don't get a sig 1911 I'll get the 220 combat tb.

14. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

That would have been tempting before i got everything done to it I wanted. Ill give you a before and after. Left is stock pic right is mine now. Ed brown chainlink mainspring housing and slide stop, nighthawk custom trigger and recoil spring plug and Alumagrips.

Attached Files:

15. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Check pics ^^^^^^ and the photo on the left ↓ was first range report. It shot low but good groups. I adjusted the rear sight just a tiny and the pic on the right shows the improvement. I have shot around 1000 rounds so far....i had one problem. A lower grain round didn't feed one time. It fed the rest, so now I just shoot 230 gn to avoid any problem. It has been proven extremely reliable. 1 Round out of 1000 messed up? Ill take those odds any day. And it wouldnt have been a problem at all if i just would have stuck with the 230 gn. That's what 1911's were designed to shoot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Welcome to the inner sanctum my friend!

I am never surprised when I hear the conversion from other "gun types" to the 1911 pattern pistol.

I am sure you will enjoy your new love and there's nothing wrong with having fond memories of loves past.....but;

"The sailors and pilots,
    The soldiers and the law,
    The pay offs and the rip offs,
    And the things nobody saw.
    No matter if it's heroin, cocaine, or hash,
    You've got to carry weapons
    Cause you always carry cash.
    There's lots of shady characters,
    Lots of dirty deals.
    Ev'ry name's an alias
    In case somebody squeals.

It's the lure of John M. Browning, it's got a very strong appeal
    Perhaps you'd understand it better standing in my shoes
    It's the ultimate enticement, it's the 1911 blues"
    (Apologies to Glenn Frey)

[​IMG]

17. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Nice grouping, that's as tight as my SA MC Operator. I'm impressed. Do you think it can handle abuse(more than 500 rounds a day, shoot dirty, or a little), basically do think it could function well as a combat weapon.

I'm anxious to see the range report this scorpion. I really like my sig 220s, they are both tight groupers, but the Sig 1911 intrigue me. I heard they had a few problems when they called GSR, but now I hear nothing but good things except their shape. I wanted to get an open minded shooters opinion of them.

I am choosing between a sig 220 combat tb or sig 1911.

18. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Imho, I think it would be handle almost anything. I shot 300 rounds in one day at the range, no problems. Didn't clean it and went out next week and shot 100 and functioned flawlessly. That's all the "torture " testing I did.

19. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Sounds good enough. I'm no soldier, but I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I play rough. The majority of the time I carry a Glock 23, and it's been through the torture.

I recently got into Sigs and now I have 5, so far I like what I've heard about their 1911s. I'm leaning towards the Tac ops tb, I'm a LEO and I hope to get it at a good price.

20. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Hey frantz, that STX really needs those woods grips! They are in the words of Eric Cartman, "Super Sweet!"

Wonder how they would look on my Scorpion? Can anybody super impose? I have no ideal how to on my mac. Just picked up another 100 rounds of 230gr Winchester for range tomorrow.

AznZohan, The Scorpion has the Cerakote finish that will protect the frame and slide like powder coat does for pool side furniture. I think this gun might take what you dish out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012