Firearms Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I would take it to a competent gunsmith and see if its safe to shoot..looks like it may still function as intended..? Would make a nice wall hanger.. but it would drive me crazy until i either shot it..or found out it cannot be...lol.

I'm certainly no expert, but the overall appearance to me is "oriental" (somewhere in the "islands" perhaps or mainland). Reminds me of "trade guns" we saw imported in the 50's and 60's when modern black powder was getting started, though this one is older. They were used as trade items to natives in many countries where, for one reason or another, modern guns were either not allowed or such guns were common among jungle dwellers. Asian/oriental is my guess.

Value is like trading parakeets - because it is odd, actual value without a background storey is whatever someone would pay for it.

I would take it to a competent gunsmith and see if its safe to shoot..looks like it may still function as intended..? Would make a nice wall hanger.. but it would drive me crazy until i either shot it..or found out it cannot be...lol.
I am with cindy ! :p
Only difference would be ..... I would clean it up & remote fire it . Make up a light load for the test .
Wouldn't be the first time I've lit one off, with no proof marks. Own a few that came from kits, and they don't get proofed, as they tend to be in the white, and in need of some fitting.

That being said, I wouldn't fire it without a good inspection, by someone with far more knowledge than me, before I'd even think about loading it. And I have a couple that look a lot like that one. Don't know the story, as the last owner got them somewhere in Korea, and brought them back, in the mid 70s, but that's as far as I know the history of them.

I ended up with them after he passed from cancer, in 1996, so asking him is out.

I'm certainly no expert, but the overall appearance to me is "oriental" (somewhere in the "islands" perhaps or mainland). Reminds me of "trade guns" we saw imported in the 50's and 60's when modern black powder was getting started, though this one is older. They were used as trade items to natives in many countries where, for one reason or another, modern guns were either not allowed or such guns were common among jungle dwellers. Asian/oriental is my guess.

Value is like trading parakeets - because it is odd, actual value without a background storey is whatever someone would pay for it.
I know when I got mine, dad mentioned seeing a few of them, when he was in Okinawa the last time, with import markings. I ran across a few in 2001, on a trip to Bangkok on business, and didn't feel, even at a LOW price, dealing with getting them home. My translator and I talked with the shop owner, and yes, fowling pieces from one of the regional islands, is pretty much what was said. She ended up buying one for her father, as a wall hanger, I remember that much.

He did have a few intersting blades, that I set up shipping for, that I couldn't pass up.

I'll dig out mine, take them down, as they are about due for an annual cleaning anyway, and look them over, to see what I can find for proof marks, and post pics of what I find, and where they are. Might be able to help the OP unravel the mystery, or it might add to it. Only time I have ever fired mine was with .410 wads, and light loadings of pyrodex RS, in a vice the first couple times, from the other side of the F 250 I had at the time, so, about 20 years ago.

Last time I had them out was 12/19, between Christmas and New Years.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.