this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by JonM, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

please dont be as stupid as this guy and use proper soft points for hunting applications.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yka2b8RyXFU[/ame]

softpoints will go through shoulder bone hollow points will not. he got his description wrong it wasnt a head shot

2. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

gut shot! might've hit some of the scapula, but with the angle of the hog and the bullet strike (dust off), it was hit kinda far back NOT to be a gut shot.

3. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

That's because he shot it in the shoulder you hit a hog their and they Will not go down I shot a hog in a trap one time with my 270 in the shoulder and all it did was break its front leg. The front half of a hogs body is a thick armor, best place to shoot them is right behind the hear or a head shot. This is just my years of experience hunting hogs on our family ranch in south Texas.

4. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I saw one off the back and one gut shot the 3rd at that angal mayb one bad back leg. Just goes to prove shoot placement is everything.Im wondering where the 3 hogs he shoot are?

5. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ive been told behind the ear we use dogs

6. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ive been on 1 hog hunt so far. So if i hit one in the front have with a 30-30 whitin a 100 yds im not gana get meat? Most of my friends hunt hogs with little pistols and dogs. So i dont realy know what it would take to bring one down?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 45-70 with a 400-405 grain solid will go through a buffalo or horse shoulder both sides. thats what its meant to do and both of those critters have thicker bone than any hog.

most shelf ammo like what he is using is light lawyer loads for use in weak action guns. complicate that with a hollow point and you got a wounded animal instead of a dead one.

8. racer_x

racer_x New Member

lol lol well i was thinking a 45-70 kinda strong for that but the armor thing gata me thinking lol im a newbi when it comes to hogs but god i love sausage Ive got a buddie that 15 he got in 1 pic has coverd his stand im ready to hog hunt

9. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

huntin buddy killed a sow today with a .45-70. shot her thru the front shoulder, about 100 yds (it was a solid point tho). she was standin broad-sided tho. dropped her where she stood..........127lbs

the guys shot placement looked high and far back.........like a gut shot to me, tho.

the video of this guy shows only 1 hog. but multiple speeds @ which the bullet impacted it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I've seen videos of guys droppin hogs with behind the ear shots with a 17HMR 20 grain solid. You can't use cheap target bullets for hunting. Videos like this is how all the myths get started.

11. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Like i said a bit ago my boys use small handguns an dogs

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Did`nt look like very good shot placement to me................

13. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Did you mean hogs?

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Guy in the video just looks like an idiot. I've killed a bunch of hogs with a .22lr. All you have to do is get 'em in the ribs or head. I now use a .223 with a combo of SP and BTHP ammo and I've never lost one.

Granted I live in Arkansas, but Arkansas hogs are just as big if not bigger than Texas hogs.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No he means DOGS, Dogs hold em & you walk up to em & put a .22 LR behind their ear, one shot dead HOG..............

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have to agree with JonM!!! SP ammo is for hunting. Any hunting rifle larger than a 30/30 will drill right through a hogs shoulders and put him running on his chin. Shot placement is critical as always. I shot an old Asplund truck in the heavier back body with a 7.62x54r, it went through both sides. I was using a 203gr Brown Bear SP. I do believe the truck body is a little tougher than a hog.

I know wild hogs are a tougher than a domestic hog. I have shot a bunch of domestic hogs with a Winchester Super X 22LR round nose they all dropped. But it was a perfect shot at about 10 feet. We are talking 180 - 225 LB top hogs (grain fed). With a good hunting rifle there is no excuse for a hog not dropping on the spot.

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

To date I have shot about 25 hogs and witnessed about 5 others being shot and from what this video showed it was simply poor shot placement, to high and to far back but it died even if he did not retrieve it!!!!:(
    I have killed hogs with a 223 (but will not use it anymore), 7mm-08, 30-30, 35 Remington (my personal favorite with 220 gr SP), and 308. The only one that got away was with a 223 and I hit it three (3) times with 62 gr SP.

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

wouldn't have had that problem if he used a AR458SOCOM ;)

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like a failure of the bullet. The right HP could work fine, like a Barnes x-bullet.

Looks like a placement issue.

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Like others have said "Bullet Placement" is the key to killing any species of game animal.That was just a bad shot,period.