This is why every gun is ALWAYS loaded

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Jesse17, May 21, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've been watching Dan's thread about his mod. 15 and thought I'd pop the cover on my mod 65 to compare. I walked in the other room (poor light) grabbed the mod. 65, opened the cylinder, ejected the cartridges, closed the cylinder, and walked to the dining room where there is more light.

When cleaning or handling a gun I'm obsessive about clearing it. I will clear it every time I pick it up, and again before I set it down. So, before I set the gun on the table, I double checked that it was unloaded and what do you think I found...

[​IMG]

:eek: The combination of poor light, nickle cases in a SS frame, and being in a hurry resulted in me missing one. That's why I'm obsessive about clearing a firearm EVERY time I pick it up or set it down, unless I want it to be loaded of course. And, that's why EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS, (did I mention ALWAYS) LOADED!

This has been a public service announcement, carry on...

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Very good reminder for anyone around firearms.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is imperative to both visually, and manually clear every gun. The brain will tell you it is empty if you expect it to be empty. Do not rely on vision alone.

So clear the chamber(s), count the rounds removed, and then insert the tip of the pinky finger into each chamber.

There is no such thing as "too safe".

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Gun safety is one of the few benefits of OCD behavior.....and one I respect in any gun owner!

Great PSA Jesse!

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good example Jesse. Thanks for sharing.

6. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Thats called a BIG OOP's

7. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

very good advice!!!

8. flasaint727

flasaint727 New Member

Thats great that you found out before you put a hole in your house or even worse in your body... Good lessons to learn! Good stuff!!!

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I made a huge mistake while cleaning a G17 in the laundry room. Similar to your situation its a high ceiling w/ only a single 60+- watt bulb. The light can be anything but sufficient in that room at night. I as a former 11B thought I was very aware of safe firearms handling.

Not this time. After dropping the mag and pulling the slide back I pulled the trigger and depressed the levers on each side of the frame in order to drop the slide. CLICK. I looked down and saw brass in the chamber. I went numb for a moment. Thank God the slide wasn't completely forward or there'd be a nice hole in my hand. I now do multiple checks before starting the cleaning process.

10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

No matter how careful you are, all it takes is once. Good reminder, I'm glad you caught it!

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks for the reminder!!

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You can fail to clear the cylinder on a S&W fairly easily- if the base of the round hits the cylinder release button. Technique I was taught- hold grip in right hand, push cylinder release w/ right thumb. LEFT hand under the trigger, fingers PUSH cylinder out and HOLD it out- shift RIGHT hand to cup under rear of cylinder, LEFT thumb pushes ejector rod. Rounds dump into cupped hand. Count, close cylinder, then reopen and recheck it. Sounds awkward, works quite smoothly. If you drop a round when loading, it goes into left hand, not on the ground.

13. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Thumbs up jesse. i think we all get so rapped up in gun and ammo selection and shooting that we sometimes forget maybe not forget but push it into the back of our brains about gun safety. I say remember no matter what your doin or where your at if you have or are carrying a firearm u need to be aware of safety no matter what. Remember to respect you firearm and what it can potentially do.

14. GunGal

GunGal New Member

Muzzle Control

Muzzle control and yes, a gun is always loaded.

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Good reminder. Thanks Jesse!

16. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Glad you caught it in time, I am also anal, as the wife says, about clearing my guns when it is time for their cleaning. I have a young friend with 7 bad scars from a missed round just before cleaning his gun. My SP-101 will try to hold the round next to the frame every time, so I count them as I pull them out and stack them on the table standing up, then check both again several times.

17. jwade00

jwade00 New Member

As a general rule for myself, any time I do anything, pick it up, set it down, hand it to a friend or family member, put it in the case, I ALWAYS check it. I feel silly sometimes because I will know for sure I just checked it, but those small habbits are going to save a life, or an accident some day, and I am okay with that :).

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

qftmft, jw.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You can't be too careful.

I'm sure that FBI guy who shot himself in the foot

on Youtube

thought he had taken the proper precautions, too.

I'm usually not happy till I'm looking down an empty

breech with the mag removed, and the slide locked back.