This is why distance is your friend

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Bona Voluntate, Aug 7, 2020.

1. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

The bottom line is that real armed conflict is not like it is portrayed on tv and movies. Distance is your friend and so is every second you can exploit in your favor.

2. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

guy that size could do damage just running into you.

the officer is in a fugue state. I was in one after a plane crash. your thinker is a stinker in a fugue state. when Mel Gibson went into that rant during a traffic stop a few years back he was in a fugue state

if you shoot someone, shut up. for at least 24 hours. 72 would be better.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    winds-of-change and sheriffjohn like this.

3. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

We're (rightly) taught our whole life that killing people is wrong.

Then this guy is forced into a situation where he is forced to do it and the person he killed isn't some nameless, faceless, stranger it's someone he knows or at least has a prior relationship with.

You can hear him trying to justify in his own mind that he didn't have a choice and that he did every thing he possibly could not to shoot. In the mean time part of his brain is trying to deny it even happened while another is trying to come to grips with the fact that he just ended the life of another human being AND he's still dealing with the fear of being attacked

This is why the experts tell you not to talk to the police after a self-defense shooting.

winds-of-change likes this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Seems to be the way it goes, with many. Probably with most.

BTDT, in a situation on the road where I watched a good friend buy the farm. He'd flipped his car and got crushed; I was in another following car on the same trip. I gave responders basic info about the situation, but upon reflection the next day I'd muddled the handful of basic facts about speed and whatnot. Was correct, sort of, but not in the specific order/sequence/detail I had presented it. Was a mess, for a little while. Nothing but "that newsreel" playing before my waking eyes, for a few hours. Strange stuff, those "fight or flight" chemicals that surge through you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually that is a complement coming from the likes of you, a no experience want to be, thanks! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  6. JimRau

Thanks again Monkey! :) You stated the problem very well 'we (the younger people) are taught our whole life that killing people is wrong'! The problem is you said 'rightly', which is wrong! THAT IS THE PROBLEM!:mad: ALL KILLING/VIOLENCE IS BAD, BUT NOT WRONG! THEY, our educators, are teaching our kids, like Monkey, that bad and wrong are synonymous, WHICH THEY ARE NOT! Any time one person uses violence against another person that is a BAD situation, BUT the reason this person uses violence will determine the 'right or wrong' of it! Like the 6th commandment, 'Thou shall not KILL', the proper word to use there is not 'kill' but 'murder' according to the clergy I have discussed it with.
    Now back to what we were discussing. Have any of you heard the saying "BAPTISM BY FIRE"? In this incident the LEO did not not pass his 'baptism by fire'! I have spent my entire adult life in harms way and I have witnessed MANY who did not pass their baptism by fire. That does not mean they are bad people, only that they are not right for the job. We go to great length to try and screen and train those to 'go in harms way', but all this does in increase the probability that they will preform well under the pressures/stress of 'combat', BUT UNTIL THEY ARE UNDER FIRE WE/THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY WILL PREFORM! That is why there is no substitute for EXPERIENCE!:) I hope this helped clarify the problem we face in to days 'touchy feely' world.

sheriffjohn and BlackGuns4Fun like this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone who carries has to make the decision to use the weapon if the situation warrants. Hopefully before they start carrying. Standing there with a firearm and not using it will get you killed. Possibly with your own weapon.
    The 6th Commandment says Thou shall not Murder. It does not say kill.

8. JimRau

True, what you said, but MOST people, especially those who are armed, will follow their 'survival instincts' and training! You notice I said MOST not ALL!;)

9. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

^ This.

When I began to consider sidearms and carrying, I spent nearly five years whipping my defensive and firearm skills into shape, much of which was also wrestling with the state law and the questions you note above. Could I ... would I, if need be?

Once I decided that yes, I could and would, even given the legal and financial risks entailed in ever being in such a situation, I began carrying daily. And haven't stopped. Not a day goes by when I don't think on some level of the responsibilities and various chuckholes one could walk into simply due to having such life-saving gear with me.

Helps ensure utter determination, but tempers that with awareness of the breadth of that responsibility.

JimRau likes this.
  10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Shows the importance of video evidence. Removed all doubt about what happened at the time of the shooting, which is very rare. Officer tried de-escalating from his first contact by calmly speaking to the subject, then more forceful verbal commands through the continuum of force including trying to distance himself, use of non-lethal force, to the end.

I find no fault in the officers' actions. The female officer responding also did good. We don't know what his agency's follow-up was. Hopefully it was supportive.

JimRau, G66enigma and winds-of-change like this.
  11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Very true. Both statements.

I agree. The officer did what he needed to do. I hope he emotionally recovers.

JimRau likes this.
  12. JimRau

The MOST responsible people among us are those who have excepted the RESPONSIBILITY to go about their daily business armed. As a LEO I want to THANK them, as I know that if I NEED them they are there. :cool::)