This is why distance is your friend

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Bona Voluntate, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Bona Voluntate

Bona Voluntate Member

Man Gets Shot After Charging At Cop With Two Sai-Style Knives

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

See a knife. Shoot to kill.

3. Bona Voluntate

Bona Voluntate Member

Looks like the cop had no choice. If it had been me I would have done the same thing.

locutus likes this.
  4. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I would’ve skipped the taser but I wasn’t there and don’t want to critique the officers stellar performance even though it was a little too close for comfort.

Should I be “that guy” and make the comment about what kind of prize you win after playing a particular type of game? Lol

Can’t wait for the waskily wabbit to comment on the blue brotherhood....

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Looks like they knew the guy too. Sure was a stressful situation.

6. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Agreed: looks like no real choices there, other than what was done in response.

Faced with the same scenario, almost certainly I'd have done all I could to a) maintain distance and b) terminate that attempted murder.

The LEO did well. Could easily have tripped and had a worse outcome.

Another example of how a Taser's all well and good, as an option, but it might well not function as intended (for whatever reason). Agree with the hope of getting the assailant to stop via Taser without having to drop him via sidearm, but I strongly disagree with its use in this scenario. Bad juju, to be solo and facing multiple weapons in the hands of an aggressive, manifestly strong, well-armed, and rapidly-approaching assailant. Good way to get killed, if the least little thing goes wrong.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I feel sorry for that officer. He did what needed to be done and he’s freaked. I hope he gets over this. I wonder if the perp lived. Great video evidence.

8. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

Whole bkgnd story from Sheboygan County here:
    ** (Disclaimer: This video content is intended for educational and informational purposes only) ** Sheboygan, Wisconsin — The Sheboygan County district attorney has determined that the use of deadly force was reasonable and no charges will be filed in the officer-involved death of Kevan Ruffin Jr. on July 2. At 5:50:32 AM, the Sheboygan County Dispatch Center received a 911 call reporting a disturbance involving weapons near S. 15th Street and Illinois Avenue in the City of Sheboygan. Video surveillance from the nearby business showed that prior to Officer Pray's arrival there appeared to have been a disturbance between two people to the west of S. 15th Street between Illinois Avenue and Indiana Avenue. The disturbance was at approximately 5:50 AM according to the video. There was some pushing before one person ran towards a building and the other person, later identified as Kevan Ruffin, walked eastbound down an alley while holding onto something in each of his hands. At 5:52 AM, a Sheboygan Police Department squad car operated by Officer Pray pulled up next to a silver car at the intersection of Indiana Avenue and S. 15th Street.

9. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

They were doing CPR on him so I'm going to say no

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

NO NO NO, shoot to STOP!!!:p

primer1 and locutus like this.
  11. JimRau

This guy need to find another line of work if he goes this nuts over this.:mad: You could not count on him if it REALLY got bad!!:(

12. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Well yeah, I mean he just killed somebody that's no big deal.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jim
    I can see your point about his mental state during and after. I would almost bet he quits being an officer if I were a betting man. If not he will need some serious assistance to realize he did nothing wrong and is working in the "real world". And as we know, from our careers no one wants to take a life it at all possible. And I must give the officer credit for attempting to do the right thing but almost got himself killed by going too far. When on two occasions he almost was the victim to the perp as the perp was chasing him and attempting to cut him or stab him. Only IMO as close as the perp had gotten to the officer and a dam*ed good thing he was backing up! But I would have shot him when the officer first attempted to use the Taser on the perp at too close a range at that point.
    But I think you will agree with officers being persecuted today even when they do everything right living in this liberal, Dumocrat snow flake society. It can have an effect on their emotional state and decision time. Officers will be reluctant more than they should to use any kind of force and subsequently become the victims themselves either by injury, death or even personal financial disaster.
    And yes, the guy did died at the scene. And some of the same BS! Some started protesting Thursday night after the incident which occurred on Thursday. I think the guys out of the car that stopped were probably taking Cellphone pictures?
    But thank God it was a Black Officer who had to use force to save his life! Or it would get much worse! But good for the Officer and I am glad he survived a terrible confrontation.
    We had an officer on the Metro years ago that had been on for 5 years. Until we got involved with a Bank Robbery and shots fired. They resigned in the next few week! "WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD OF A POLICE OFFICER!"
    Loosing three friends in the line of duty! It certainly is the "REAL WORLD" and unfortunately at the present time certainly not getting any better! Officers are being killed almost every day now!:( And where is the outcry?

tac foley, towboater and primer1 like this.
  14. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Officer should not have went to the taser alone facing an armed opponent .

Just from listening it sounds like at least the first two officers knew the subject fairly well. Which might explain in some way the reluctance to use lethal force .

Thst being a guess on my part of course.
    As to the officers reaction to shooting the subject, everyone reacts differently .
    Some it doesnt bother much if at all.
    Others it darn near destroys .

The one constant in just my personal experience is that anyone I've ever known who's shot a person for any reason is they arent glib about doing so afterwords even if it didnt bother them to do so.

The ones who puff and blow about shooting to kill, better off with him dead etc , have usually not even drawn a weapon on a human being, much less shot one.

winds-of-change and Trunk Monkey like this.
  15. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Perhaps. Depends on his "mettle" and his experience.

Funny what occurs, with that typical chemical dump in the body. It's a wicked period, for many, in the several minutes following a violent encounter. Been in a couple myself, though not involving blades or sidearms. Violent, bloody, nasty and merciless, with the clear attempt at one's life occurring ... the body does what it needs to do in order to ratchet-up the performance. Coming down from that "high" is a strange, even painful thing.

Agreed, hopefully it's just "the shakes" and being amped-up, that we saw in the video, and not something deeper. There is evil in the world, and sometimes it turns its eye on us. At which point, choices get very simple.

The LEO done good, so far as we can tell from our lounge chairs. If those two video perspectives tell the whole story. Sure seems to have.

The perp was cranked in his head, angered for whatever reason, and not interested in tolerating anyone near him at that moment; certainly not someone representing "authority" who was going to constrain him from further threats to others. Perhaps he was even "juiced" by what he's seen in the past couple of months with people "thumbing the man" and getting away with it. Whatever his rationalizing, he chose poorly. It's all on him. 100%.

tac foley and Ghost1958 like this.
  16. JimRau

If you fall apart at the scene it is!!! Have you ever been in combat????

towboater likes this.
  17. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

Take a moment to recognize the 32 yo suspect, with reported mental health issues, killed by police ‘responded to a disturbance call‘

upload_2020-8-7_17-5-54.jpeg
    WI DoJ investigation report, https://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/d...Ruffin, Jr_ Investigative Synopsis Report.pdf

perhaps there is some merit to discuss better ways to deal with known community citizens who are allegedly diagnosed & exhibit mental health disorders.

knives not withstanding, if, as it appears on the videos, this individual was known BY NAME by responding officers, and Officer Pray, 2.5 years on the force, saw the man approaching with knives perhaps when he should have turned back around and secured himself back in the safe haven he road to the scene in - his vehicle & called for assistance!

18. Bona Voluntate

Bona Voluntate Member

Officer Pray came true.

It sounded like 6 shots were fired. Per the report 4 shots made contact to the upper chest.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. TelstaR

TelstaR Well-Known Member

using a taser vs a deadly weapon is not very prudent in my book. He took an incredible chance with his own life. I can accept that in some narrow instances where you have a very clear advantage, the option to use a taser (first) might make sense. Someone coming at you with knives in their hands isnt one of them in my book.

As far as the comments regarding his mental/emotional grit. He does seem to be having some trouble working through the stress. It often takes time and repeated exposure to high stress to develop mental insulation. I wouldnt be too hard on him as he did what he had to do, he didnt freeze and he didnt abandon his duty.

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I would be pretty freaked, too. I think he did the right thing. He gave the perp every chance to stop. The officer seemed pretty young.

G66enigma, JimRau and Ghost1958 like this.