This is why a comparision Mauser-Smle is completely pointless

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Mark_Van_Goth, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Thousand of post are available out there stating that "The enfield is best rifle"/"The mauser is the best rifle"/"The Mosin is the best rifle".Frankly speaking, no one can be considered as "the best rifle", since each of them has several characteristics that makes it a unique weapon, it all depends on what property you're going to take in consideration.

Just to mention a few examples, by comparing the SMLE and the Mauser:

What rifle has the fastest action?SMLE
    What rifle has the highest mag capacity?SMLE
    What rifle has the highest rate of fire?SMLE
    What rifle has the capability of accepting detach. mags?SMLE
    What rifle has the best gas-control mechanism?Mauser
    What rifle has is the most accurate?Mauser
    What rifle has the most durable design?Mauser
    What rifle is the most reliable and safe?Mauser

Now, lets see what are weak points of these weapons..

What rifle has the slowest action?Mauser
    What rifle has the lowest mag capacity?Mauser
    What rifle has the lowest rate of fire?Mauser
    What rifle hasn't the capability of accepting detach. mags?Mauser
    What rifle has an average gas-control mechanism?SMLE
    What rifle is not the most accurate?SMLE
    What rifle has parts that needs more often to be replaced because of the usage?SMLE
    What rifle can be unsafe and can jam most often(e.g. while feeding/shooting the weapon, etc)?SMLE

As you can see, for each "PLUS" there is also a "MINUS".
    It appears pretty clear that we are talking about TWO DIFFERENT DESIGNS with TWO DIFFERENT CONCEPTS in mind.
    IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO WITH THE RIFLE!!!
    In this case, the only question you should ask yourself is:
    Are you a "Mad-Minute man" (SMLE) or a "Sophisticated&patient killer"(Mauser)?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Wow a report on 2 rifle designs that are now over 100 years old? In their day they were light years ahead of most other offerings. The Mauser is with us to this day in every turn bolt rifle offered.

Maybe we could now compare a Model A Ford to a Corvette.:)

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Never mind the smarty pants comments, Mark, many of us are picking up what you're laying down, and have dropped the "which is best" crap.

In short, many different firearms have so many different characteristics, that there is no "PERFECT" rifle, shotgun, or handgun, for every situation that suits all tastes.

As gets mentioned so often, if there were, it would be the only gun on the market.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Well you almost got it right, it should be................

What rifle has the fastest action?SMLE
    What rifle has the highest mag capacity?SMLE
    What rifle has the highest rate of fire?SMLE
    What rifle has the capability of accepting detach. mags?SMLE
    What rifle has the best gas-control mechanism?Mauser
    What rifle has is the most accurate?SMLE
    What rifle has the most durable design?SMLE
    What rifle is the most reliable and safe?SMLE

There now its right !...............

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No Comparison what so ever. The Model A Ford was a better car !.............:)

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think they're more fun too. Who needs that much speed and horsepower, when you can have class?

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Or you could get the best of both worlds and get a M1917..... :p

Thats kinda false.... Magazines for the SMLE were fitted to each individual rifle, and arent exactly interchangeable. They are removable for cleaning and maintenance of the rifle. Everything Ive read says you will damage the feed lips if you regularly use them like a detachable mag. Some British mountain troops got a extra one, but it was meant for more of a replacement if you damgaged one, not to change out in the heat of battle. Ive found it to be quicker to reload with the clips than messing with the mag anyways....

Oh, and just from personal experience, It doesnt take much of a dent to make that 10 rd mag into a 5 rd one....

I'll take the Model A IHC..... :p

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The "Head Space" problems were inherent in the Enfield. There were I think 9 different bolt heads for correcting head space in the field.:(

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO there is not !....................

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Except for mine. All of my guns are the best :p

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There were replaceable bolt heads to compensate for wear in the Enfields. The standard sizes numbered O,1,2,3,4,5,6. the armors field repair kits also had blank or odd sized heads. I have seen these with as many as 14 various bolt heads.
    Often new unfired rifles may have number #3 bolt heads to compansate for lose manufacturing specs.:)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  13. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Really?

What rifle has is the most accurate?SMLE
    What rifle has the most durable design?SMLE
    What rifle is the most reliable and safe?SMLE

Are you serious?LOl...let me explain.
    1)What rifle has is the most accurate?SMLE
    Wrong.Thank to its ammo(8mm Mauser), its maximum effective range is about 1000+(I personally hit 5 times a 40x40 dong at 1100+ yards...ad far as I know, somebody better than me managed to do almost the same thing at 1400+ yards).Try to do the same with a smle=pretty simple, it wasn't designed to do it.The 8mm Mauser will obviously need more compensation and will begin to fall much earlier than the .308, but once in the air, it is much more stable.You can simply change natural laws.Anyway, the smle is still a damn accurate rigle.

2)What rifle has the most durable design?SMLE
    Are you sure?At normal usage the smle needs much more maintenance and parts to be changer.It is not that solid as a Mauser.Let me make an exaple.I personaly know a german family who owns a Gewehr 98 since 1900(4-5 generations I think...don't ask me where or how did they get it), and has been used in both world war(Not by the army, but as defense weapon by the civilians) None of it's parts was ever substituted-It still shoot perfectly!I simply cannot believe that a SMLE can take that amount of "abuse".

3)What rifle is the most reliable and safe?
    Has the SMLE got an idiot-proof action?No.Has the SMLE got the same reliable gas release/control mechanism of the Mauser?No.Has the SMLE a so solid structure that makes it really hard to completely waste the rifle)?No.What parts has to be changed/replaced?The SMLE's ones.

The SMLE is an extremely good rifle but....personally...I would opt for a Mauser.

At the end, as I already said...it all depends on what you need to do with the rifle...

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You are joking right ?....................

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/72837-no4-bolt-head-sizes.html

Attached Files:

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You should put that green down, smokin' is bad for you.

It is made of steel at least

I thought there were 4. Hmmm.

17. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I agree. The comparison is pointless. The goal should be to own some of each. My collection has Mausers from Germany, Czechoslovakia, and Sweden. The Enfields came from Britain, Canada, Australia and India. And there is room for more.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The English did improve their arms some what. The Enfield Battle Rifle was smaller than than their "Brown Bess" muskets.:D