This is obscene !!!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Aug 4, 2014.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, not what you are thinking!

The Anarchist (youngest grandmunchkin) will be starting college in a month. Told her Mom I would help with tuition and textbooks. Please note- she is starting in the local community college- not Harvard law.

Her Mom asked if I could help with 3 textbooks. Sure, honey- no problem. My daughter had already checked thru the bookstore at the school. 3 books. Not Advanced Gastroenterology- just math, history, and English Composition. How much is that?

WHAT! YOU OUTA YER FREAKIN' MIND!!! $325- FOR 3 BOOKS ????
    BLEEPING BLEEP BLEEPITY BLEEP !!!!
    :mad::(:confused::eek:

After I finished blistering the varnish off the porch, I checked Amazon and Alibris, and found all 3 for $200. The equal of getting mugged with a 3 iron instead of a driver, I guess.

No WONDER kids are graduating with a ton of debt! What the HELL makes a History book worth $150? Was it autographed by every person mentioned in the book, and delivered by the author?

I buy reference books on a fairly regular basis- both work and hobby. I cannot REMEMBER the last time I laid out THAT kind of cash for a rather esoteric reference book in Engineering. Somebody should be ASHAMED of themselves for this travesty!!!

(pant pant pant pant)

OK- I feel a little better now.......

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I used to teach at the local university and if your grandmunchkin will check around, there are students willing to sell there old books for a fraction of that.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Quite often, especially for the technical books, the previous edition is just as good and much less expensive. There will be a couple jots and tittles of difference, but not normally anything substantial.

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

When I was at IU I can remember selling those books back to the bookstore at the semester's end for $0.40 on the dollar and being so excited to have beer money. Best weekend in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

History books? Heck---somebody has to pay for all the revisions.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

When c3' uses FIVE exclamation points, you know it's got to be pretty bad.

I know there are engineering advances, and changes in medical practices, etc., requiring new texts, but I'm at a loss to understand how history requires new texts. Do they keep forgeting to put some history in the previous books? Or maybe they're discovering some brand new history, every year, that no one knew before.

I'm gonna guess it's just another racket.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. bradam

bradam Member

I have two young men in college. I feel your pain.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Frequently the professor (or the Dean) knows the author and gets a kickback for using "his" book. They can teach from any number of perfectly adequate books, but THIS author is paying good.

We had several professors who taught from THEIR book when I was in college. That was so long ago that an expensive text book was $30.

Try half.com

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Sounds like liberal, revisionist history books are alive and well!

10. TankTop

TankTop Active Member Supporter

I know someone who recently wrote a book which has been adopted by several law schools as part of the curriculum. The money in that business is stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. Mercator

Mercator New Member

What's the fuss, really? If history is too expensive for you, don't do it. There is no money in it anyway.

History monographs are expensive for the same reason doctors and lawyers are. Someone values their health, their money, and in this case their knowledge of humanity, enough to pay the asking price.

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Most (all?) previous editions have THE EXACT SAME content, sometimes the chapter order is changed, often the book questions are different. Buy the prior editions for $15 on ebay.

13. c3shooter

Merc- not her major- but is a required course. Not an elective. She has not settled on a major, but it is not likely to be liberal arts. Most likely, sciences.

She played viola in the school orchestra, but told me she does not see herself playing while folks drop money in her hat. Bright kid.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Fortunately those books are not rare and the secondary market is huge. I have bought and re-sold them by the dozen. Buy used, or buy new and then resell, and you cut your expenses by 60 per cent or better.

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

could be worse. usually the bigger the college, the more expensive the books. I had 2 classes that decided to use a different text book the next year, so the college wouldn't even buy the books back. $100 per book down the toilet. also, the college would pay less if that class wasn't offered the next semester, so if a guy waited till the end of the year you generally got more money.

next time have the grand daughter get the ISBN off the book & either buy online or see if your local library can order it for you. it will save you a butt-load in the long run

when I started the electrical program in college, they had a list of tools I needed to buy. to buy the tools from the college was around $500. I got the tool list & had most of the tools at home already. I ended up spending less than $100 & had everything I needed.

16. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I'm really surprised actual books are still being sold at colleges. My last year at UC you could get the digital version of just about any book required downloaded to your laptop, Ipad, etc for about $30.

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

School library, online sources, other classmates and some free time with a scanner...
    I got my engineering degree in 3.5 years without buying any books from that scam known as the school bookstore.

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Times just keep changing along....My Dad was telling me last weekend...he thinks teenagers had less drama, and got in less trouble in the old days because they had no privacy...If he wanted to talk to one of his friends, or a girl on the phone, he had to do it with the whole family listening, because the only phone they had to use was on the wall in the kitchen.......:eek:....lol.

19. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1+3+4=5

Were your mathematics teachers liberals?

How else would the liberals sell the utopian fantasy to the masses without a few revisions here and there?

20. c3shooter

I DID get the ISBN's, and ordered on line- got one used, price less on the others. There IS an electronic version- she will need each book 2 semesters, and the electronic RENTS for half the cost of the print version- per semester.

*ripoff*