This is my 1st

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rjgnwdc, Oct 23, 2009.

1. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

this is my first Blackgun Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Carbine. I have shot my brother n Laws several times anyway I got it Saturday evening read the owners manual it said to clean my new gun before I shot it so I did and it was really easy but it hardly needed cleaning it wasn't over oiled or greased but it help me get to know it a little better. Next morning I take it to the range it's the NRA's range here in Fairfax and they just have an indoor and it's only 150 ft or 75 yard so I set up my target they have shooting rests and table and chair anywho I use the iron sights take 3 shots and they're slightly low of dead center but all 3 shot would fit in a 50 cent piece Sa-wheet! this is an excellent weapon should be a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

2. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Lookin' Sweeeet Too..

Just got my Bushy 2 weeks ago. Your right. First cleaning was "almost" not needed. Like you say, not overgreased or excessive powder residue. Have to get a sitter for my daughter so it might be a week or two before firing.

Congrat's !

Now if I can figure out to post pics here, We can compare notes.

How are you breaking in the barrel ? Chrome lined.. Just curious..

3. bkt

bkt New Member

A buddy of mine went with me when I first broke in mine and he insisted on the following break-in regimen:

Fire a round, clean the gun. Fire another round, clean the gun. Repeat for 10 rounds.

Fire three rounds, clean. Repeat for 30 rounds.

Fire ten rounds, clean. Repeat for 100 rounds.

It was a pain, and there are many who argue this is completely unnecessary, but it did no harm and the thing is dead-nuts accurate. It's a chrome barrel, btw.

4. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

nice gun man, how much did that run you

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Nice choice going with the flat top, I wish I had gotten a flat top when I got mine, it really gives you a lot of options when it comes to sights. After taking that 3 shot group, did you try to sight it in, if so, how did that go? Also, 150 ft is only 50 yards, not 75.

As far as breaking in the barrel, do what BKT said, you won't regret it. And as far and posting pictures, read this thread.

-Fred

6. Fayettedave

Fayettedave New Member

Timely discussion as the new issue of American Rifleman has an article that addresses exactly this question. The author ultimately comes to the conclusion that with the current state of technology such a regimen is, indeed, unnecessary, and particularly so in the case of a chrome-lined barrel.

7. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

I used to buy Bushmaster products back in the 80's when they were know as Quality Parts Co., They have come a long way and still make Quality Products. You have added a fine arm to your arsenal.

8. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

The only difference I see is barrel configuration,front sight and forearm stock. Yours is a fixed front sight, mine is the fold down model. And for some reason the model I got has 3 rails on the forearm stock for accessories.. Hmm..

Attached Files:

9. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Holy Moly ! It worked ! Thanks so much for the tips to post pictures.. Told the wife that she now has to wear a bikini holding the M4.. She kindly reminded me of where to store the new rifle.. OUCH...

10. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I love the "Black Guns"

Here's my Colt AR-15 Law Enforcement Model LE6920

[​IMG]

I enjoy shooting it.

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Yeah, that's probably very true. I could see doing this with a very high quality Moly barrel. But for a short chrome-lined...it probably isn't going to improve things much. But it won't hurt, either.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I break in my new firearms just like I break in a new car; Shoot/drive them the way you intend to Shoot/drive them.

The engineer in me says why bother doing something you intend to change in the future? I'm just sayin'.

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I fire 1 then clean x5
    fire 2 then clean x5
    fire 5 then clean. Done.
    20 rds total. Doesn't take long.(except my rem7600- it was rough as hell!!)

It really does seem to smooth out the bore and make future cleanings quicker and easier. Doesnt copper foul as fast so stays accurate longer. IMO

Nice M4's guys. I've got a DPMS. They are alot of fun to shoot!

14. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The point of the break-in cleaning is to remove the burrs left by machining the rifling. Yes, it's true if you have a high quality match grade bbl, it won't be as bad, but with a mass produce barrel, I would definitely recomend doing it. It doesn't take long, maybe an hour or so, and as Gatekeeper said, it increases accuracy in between cleanings and makes cleaning easier. Well worth the effort in my book.

-Fred

15. rjgnwdc

Doh! you're right, math was never my strong suit, tell ya the truth I never heard of breakin in the barrel:eek:, I wouldn't even think it would require breakin in being that it is chrome lined:confused:. Is that in the instruction manual?No I didn't mess with sighting it any closer, I'm going to put a Barska Tactical Red Dot electro sight on her once I get enough cash together.:D

16. rjgnwdc

pretty good price

I got it at Buds Gunshop.com with shipping, insurance and FFL fee $975 I was trying to keep it under $1,000

17. rjgnwdc

Your handguard rails

Can you take a few pics of those rails or tell me where I can get them. I really want to add at least a single rail to the bottom of my existing handguard. I looked on Bushmasters page but they just offer the whole handguard setup

18. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

The rails were already mounted on the forearm stock. The ones at 11 and 2 o'clock position are located as forward as possible. The one at 6 o'clock is actually able to be mounted in many locations for use with a pistol grip.

Attached Files:

19. rjgnwdc

That'll work

Thanks! yesIcarry, I think I saw those at my LGS just didn't realize what they were at the time.

20. rjgnwdc