This Got Me

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Threetango, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Outside the wall looking in.

[​IMG]

Inside the wall looking out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. rainmakerat92

rainmakerat92 New Member

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Me too!
    Thanks!

4. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Touches the soul.

5. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

In my former career I visited DC often. I have never been in the military, but I was drawn to The Wall each time I was there. I always walked away with a profound sense of pride and tears in my eyes from the small remembrances at the base.

Over the years I visited the memorials and monuments in DC many times and never got bored with them.

I chose my country, most of you were gifted with it when you were born here. Appreciate what you have.

Jim

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i had scene the first photo before.. never the other. very cool

7. PC167

PC167 New Member

Thank you for the pictures... Very cool! :)

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Random fact about the Vietnam memorial...
    Designed by a Vietnamese American, who I believe was a teen at the time.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Close, but no cigar.

Maya Lin, a Chinese American, was born in Athens, Ohio. Her parents immigrated to the United States from China in 1949 and settled in Ohio in 1958, one year before Maya Lin was born.

In 1981, at age 21 and while still an undergraduate, Lin won a public design competition for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, beating out 1,441 other competition submissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Ying_Lin

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Very well, I'd always heard she was Vietnamese. Much the same story as you just told, but that she was about 17 when she designed it.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I visited "The Wall" in 2000. I had to walk away frolm my family to compose myself. VERY moving experience even though I'm a little too young to have participated.

12. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

I've always loved that 1st picture you posted, and I've seen others like it, very powerful, and a very powerful place! I saw a documentary awhile ago about all the things left at wall by people over the years, very moving piece that I would recommend.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I visited that wall in D.C., too. I cried like a baby the whole time I was there. So many lives gone. Sons, fathers, brothers, husbands.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For the trauma our heroes returning from Vietnam endured they deserve a lot more than a wall. I have a hard time not shedding a tear at any of the memorials in the DC area. I know/knew someone who survived every war since WWI. I can see the faces of ones who have passed away when I look at a memorial. I can't imagine what someone who lost a son or father feels when they see that same mental image.

15. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

The Wall is almost too much to take in. All of those brave men and women, the names seem to go on forever. I took this when we visited last year.

Attached Files:

16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

So sad but so incredible at the same time.

Our Legion does an awesome job here in our little town of Munnsville and we had the Moving Wall on Display for a Week at our local High School. The whole town and all the folks with backhoes and such did a huge preparation for it and It was so awesome! People came from hundreds of miles around, the Bikes coming past my house were endless for days! That was a solemn and proud moment for all of us. One of the only times I can ever remember where The Red and The Blue crowds were joined by the White as a whole Citizen. No partisan politics in that crowd, only Americans remembering folks they missed so badly that it transcends everything else.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  17. Sand_Squid

Sand_Squid New Member

I have a print of the 1st picture on one of my walls in my house with some fallen Heroes who I had the privilege of serving with.

I also visited the Vietnam Memorial twice; once during Memorial day and the other just a random day. Both time there where buddies leaving gifts. Something I will never forget and I will go there again when my son is at least 12 years old.

18. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Those pictures got me too. Every time I see a picture of The Wall, I think for a second about how brave those men were.

19. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter