Thinking of reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Matthew161, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

Have a G38 gap I am thinking of doing reloading what do u guys think

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

By all means! Reloading/handloading is a great way to broaden your understanding of firearms/ammunition. I believe standard .45 ACP dies will work fine for the GAP.

3. Blade

Blade New Member

I am planning on doing the same. Just bought the book "the abc's of reloading" so I can get some background on the subject. Also researching the equipment. I plan reloading in the next couple months.

4. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

This is true my 45 acp dies also say gap. They are the rcbs three die carbide set.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

5. Staestc

Staestc New Member

I say go for it! I recently did, it's a lot of fun, and gives you a sense of accomplishment every time you create a new box of shells. One big chunk of equipment money to get started, then your ammunition costs can drop dramatically.

6. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

Thanks. I know that the acp will not work for gap that's why I want to reload to save money cause by me gap is $30 a box

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes by all means i would say to start reloading. it is a wonderful addition to the shooting sport and can be very relaxing. it is also something you can do when the weather isn't cooperative for shooting outside.

reloading can be very safe as long as you pay attention to all the safety guidelines and pay attention to what you are doing. it can have dangerous and dealy results if you don't.

buy the book, "The ABC's of Reloading". very good book for beginning reloaders, as it has much information on how components go together and make loaded ammo, lots of safety procedures, has information on how to select what equipment you need to start reloading and where to set it up at. you can buy the book usually at Amazon.com for less than $15. really good book and i highly recommend it. read it several times before you ever buy the first peice of equipment. read it and understand it, as it will save you lots of headaches in the beginning.

8. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

What should I get first after I get the book

9. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Press, dies, powder, primers, bullets, brass tumbler, tumbler media,and another book or two, more dies, primers, powder and bullets

10. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

What is a good press for first time

11. Axxe55

buy the book first and read it several times. it will explain in great detail as to what you need to start reloading. there are several different makers of reloading equipment that have kits that usually have everything needed to start reloading except for the dies, powder, primers, bullets and cases. buyt the book first, then read it several times and you will have a much better understanding of what's involved in the reloading process and be better informed as to what equipment you need to start reloading.

12. Shade

Shade New Member

You will want a good cast iron "O" frame press. Lee and RCBS come to mind
    as very good quality at a good value. I have an RCBS.

Lee's modern reloading is also and excellent book, I would get the ABC's first
    then Lee's.

Learn on a single stage press, you will likely want a progressive for pistol
    ammo later.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  13. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

I was looking at lee's started kit

14. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

I was looking at lee's started kit

15. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I started with the Lee Deluxe Turret set. I finally took auto index out and turn the turret by hand. It is pretty simple to use and was about $200 with two sets of dies and an extra turret.

16. Axxe55

i still think a single stage is better for a beginner to start with and learn the basics and to learn the procedures it requires to reload and to start good reloading habits. turrets and progressives are better once you hane learned the basics and have a proper understanding of the procedures and the safety practices to keep from hurting yourself. yes there are people who start and learn on turrets and progressives, but it isn't something i would recommend for a beginner.

17. Shade

Shade New Member

+1 Start with single stage, learn the process well then move up.
    You will always need a single stage press.

18. Axxe55

yes start with a single stage and learn the basics and procedures first. then move up to a turret or progressive. you can always use the single stage for other operations or if you decide to reload accurate rifle caliber ammo you already have what you need. yes a single stage is slower than the others, but going slow will make you pay attention to what is going on.

remember this if nothing else. reloading is only as safe as you make it. it can be a very safe and relaxing hobby as long as you adhere to the safety precautions and pay attention to what you are doing. if not, it can be very dangerous or even deadly. mishap in reloading could leave you blind or disfiguged for life. pistol calibers are very easy to double charge, and could just like a hand grenade going off in your hand. safety first and always. read the books first. i could mean all the difference in the world in regards to your safety.