Thinking of purchasing the S&W Governor .45. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by franke_don, Dec 31, 2012.

1. franke_don

franke_don New Member

I like the idea of a 6 shot revolver that can handle .45 acp. 45 Colt and .410 shot shells. Any experience with the Governor out there?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've seen one Taurus Judge come through.

The guy bought it for his Grandma.

Other who have bought such a setup did not keep it for long.

3. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

Are you sure about them being able to handle the rimless 45acp round? I know they'll shoot the 45 Colt and 410 shotgun shell. I guess if you hiked in snake country a lot then the shotshell would be a neat idea.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It would make a heck of a snake gun. That said, I think there are "better" revolvers out there. My go-to choice for a revolver would be any Ruger or Smith 357. If you want shot for places where you might encounter snakes, you can get snake shot rounds for them.

5. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I have had my governor for about a year and a half. It will shoot all three, as it uses moonclips for the auto. The clips were a bit tight at firts, but use has helped that a lot. I need to contact S&W, as it will send a bit of lead back every so often. Shows that you do need eye protection. Even with that, I like the gun. Not the most acurate gshooter, but nor am I.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion just get a ruger new vaquero or a blackhawk in 45acp/45colt shotgun shells out of a revolver in 410 is pretty useless. there are shotshells in 45colt and 45 acp if you really want to use birdshot.

your paying much more for a not so good quality gun than if you spent the money on a real 45acp/45colt revolver.

if you want one for shts and giggles and just want a fun shooter go for it. just dont expect much more than that.

just my feelings on it not trying to offend those that have em.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't question S&W's quality, I just have a hard time finding a purpose for one.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no need for one, since I handload shot for my Colt .45 Anaconda.

But I'd choose it over the Taurus.

Should be an awesome "barn gun" for a farmer.