thinking of getting a 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by tsnyder88, Oct 24, 2009.

1. tsnyder88

tsnyder88 New Member

i am thinking of getting a 1911 this would be not only my first 1911 it would also be my first semi auto pistol the one i am looking at is the Springfield armory GI. 45 1911 and i would like to know if it is a good gun

thank you

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

What do you want to know? Is it a good gun to shoot, carry, hammer nails, what?

It is a Springfield Armory GI 1911, wood grips, nice look, good finish, whether OD or Parkerized. You can get it in Stainless for about $50 more and still be under $600.

Oh, Welcome to the FTF! Drift over to the Introductions section and introduce yourself to the membership.

3. tsnyder88

tsnyder88 New Member

is it a good gun to shoot and how well it is put together

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

5. tsnyder88

tsnyder88 New Member

i might if i am lucky shoot 250 rounds a year

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

7. tsnyder88

tsnyder88 New Member

thank you for the info

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spend a few extra $$$ and move up to the Mil-Spec. Much better sights, flared & lowered ejection port, and stainless barrel. If you do a search on any forum, you'll find folks buy GI's and immediately want better sights. Also, the F&L ejection port keeps brass from hitting you in the face.

I've had multiples of both so this is the voice of experience. My Mil-Spec:

[​IMG]

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The Mil Spec was my first 1911. The few extra touches were well worth the extra cash. It's a great pistol and it will do everything you want and give you great service.

10. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

A few extra touches! Yeah like replacing all the MIM parts inside...about 300 bucks...I'm such a fanatic! for light range use and home protection, the Springfield is a great gun. And yes, get the mil-spec.

11. funnyrunner

funnyrunner New Member

I just got a Taurus PT1911 Stainless for $600 delivered.
    Put 300 rounds thru it at the range 1st time out without so much as a hiccup.
    Comes with Novak sights and some extras that you usually have to pay extra for.
    Seems like a great gun so far. I did swap out the ambi-safety for an STI left hand safety and put Pachmayr's on it.
    Despite the Taurus basher's comments, I love it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Good looking 1911. Let's see a range report!

[​IMG]

13. funnyrunner

funnyrunner New Member

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  14. tsnyder88

tsnyder88 New Member

i got my new gun i did not get the 1911 i got a taurus pt 24/7 oss

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You messed up then. :D

16. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

MIM parts being problematic is an internet myth. I've got a Kimber with about 12k-15k rounds through it without a hiccup, malfunction or breakage of any components. I've never even thought of replacing them with machined parts.

MIM eliminates residual stressed left over from forging and machining. MIM parts are now being used in aircraft, so they can't be that horrible.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have a Springfield 1911-A1 the only parts i have changed is the trigger itself with an extended trigger and the wood grips for pachmyar rubber panels.

i have put about maybe 6 or 7k rounds through it and its a great shooter. i liek the three dot fixed sights its got. it rattles a bit but it doesnt seem to affect the accuracy or function.

if i want to target shoot against someone its the gun i go for.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  18. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

I don't know about myths and I do appreciate the science of MIM and the uses in aerospace etc. I can only confirm that I have personally experienced what I would describe critical breakages on various 1911 pistols over the years. Fortunately they have occurred at the range.
    1: Springfield Armory 1911 disconnector
    2: Kimber 1911 safety selector
    3: (Another) Springfield armory 1911 hammer

Everytime parts were replaced with quality (Wilson, Ed Brown) forged parts and no further problem. Granted, any part can fail but I'll go with experience every time.
    Hill

19. gpenzen1

gpenzen1 New Member

My first 1911 was a taurus pt 1911 ar. great weapon for the money. ive shot kimber, wilson combat, many customs. the taurus shoot just as nice as the hight dollar 1911's. ya that u cant go wrong with a taurus pt 1911. love mine and am gonna get another one. def worth checking out.

20. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

agreed....