thinking of buying my cousins mini 14??

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by shooter88, Jul 17, 2013.

1. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

My cousin said he would sell me his mini 14 for $700 its in great condition he has a couple awsome stocks for it and some good magazines with a descent scope. My question is because i dont know.much about them but have wanted one for a while is that a good price? My concern is when i shot it a round every know and then did not fire and by examining the round it appears to me that the firingpin did not strike the primer hard enough to ignite it. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is it fixable? Is it worth buying if he doesnt fix it before i buy it ?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Are they US made ammo like Remington, Winchester, etc, that is giving you the problem, or are they something like Wolf or some other kind of eastern europe/ russian steel ammo. Some companies use harder primers.

3. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

It was american eagle

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Does he keep it well cleaned, could be just a very dirty striker or the firing spring has lost its springyness. Are they boxer primered American Eagle? Or Berdan?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

He said he hadnt cleaned it in a little while idk about the spring. Is it a good price

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Can you ask him what year or model it is and what stocks? The stocks could be sold on Ebay at 30 to 50 dollars, or more if its like the original folding stock, etc, So 700 may be a good deal if we had more info about the stocks, and year it may have been produced, etc. The firing pin could, or could not have a problem, depending on the cleaning of it, and it still not firing, or if they are Berdan primered brass, etc. Sometimes the Berdans are set too far deep in the cup to get a good hit with the firing pin, etc.

But im not a mini expert. Ask me about mooses :D

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

That is a good price if all is included. Give it a good cleaning on the bolt the light strikes should go away. Is it a newer series, pre fix serial #581? The older models ran from 180-197.

8. tri70

tri70 New Member

What's your favorite moose holder?

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

This is what a mini 14 ranch rifle was selling for 4 days ago. All the accessories that he is including would be a great deal, if it is great shape, and the firing pin problem is sorted out. Have him clean it or soak the firing pin and clean it up and then go to the range again. I think Ruger still does not sell new firing pins, but outside sources do, and it just might be a worn spring problem if the cleaning doesn't cure the problem.

10. tri70

tri70 New Member

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Eric! ;) ...........

12. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

with all that included, the price seems good BUT.......

i wouldn't buy a gun that does not function properly...would you buy a car that sputters or fails to start at a used car lot...:confused:

i say get a bit more ammo, get the mini good & clean...use good ammo & only factory mags....if it still has misfires....go buy a new one...they are around 700 anyway...minis should go BANG! mine only has one malfunction in about 1700 rounds, that is about what i expect form a firearm personally.

13. tri70

tri70 New Member

Do you have a picture of Eric holding a moose?
    Does Eric like mini 14's?

14. bwraven

bwraven New Member

I have been shooting Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles for 25+ years. (Not a newbie to the platform.)

There is no firing pin spring. The firing pin channel inside of the bolt may have a lot of crud built-up impeding it's movement. Very few owners bother to disassemble the bolt and clean the internals.

If a tiny bit of the tip has broken-off, it can cause light strikes on the primers. That would require a new firing pin. Ruger does not sell firing pins, but they have excellent customer service. If you send the rifle in to Ruger, they will replace the firing pin if that's the issue. Or they will discern the problem and repair as needed. Just be sure to tell them the type of ammo you are using and that the issue is intermittent. Do not buy an aftermarket firing pin. I have gone that route in the past, and the quality of aftermarket pins is terrible. I had an aftermarket pin break after 60 rounds. Plus, the pins need to be fitted to your bolt, which is a job best done by Ruger, or a gunsmith who is competent on the Mini-14 platform.

If you do send the rifle to Ruger, I recommend requesting a spare firing pin to be fitted to the rifle. This uses costs about $30, though the last time I sent a Mini-14 in for repair work and requested a spare pin, they didn't charge me anything.

Steel cased ammo is not a problem in a Mini-14. I have put 10's of thousands of rounds or Wolf downrange with several Mini-14's with no issues whatsoever.

As far as the value of the rifle, that will depend on where you are located. In my area, a pre-580 series would have a value of between $400 and $500. A 580 or higher with a tapered barrel would be worth $600 to $700. This would be for a rifle that is functioning properly.

Magazines (especially aftermarket) don't add much to the value of the rifle. Nor do additional stocks.

Gunbroker is a good site to monitor for values. Though the prices on Gunbroker tend to be a bit higher than the prices locally.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013