Thinking of buying a revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Garadex, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Lately I've been wanting to buy a .22LR SA revolver and came across Heritage Manufacturing. From the reviews they have gotten they seem to be a good deal, but I am cheap and always want a better deal. I was looking at the fixed sight version but am skeptical about fixed sights having never shot a gun without adjustable sights. Is it worth the extra $50ish to get adjustable sights?

Edit: Also for barrel length would it be best to go with 6.5'' or 4.75'' barrel, this is purely going to be a range gun.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Personally, adjustable sights are important to me. If at all possible, I buy a gun with adjustable sights. I would definitely pay the extra $50. But that's just me.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I highly prefer adjustable sights on a range gun. It would be worth it to me.

6.5" barrel is gong to get heavy if you plan on doing a lot of offhand shooting. Accuracy will be better with the longer sight radius, but you really need a rest for a barrel of that length. 4.75 will be a good compromise between balance/weight and accuracy.

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well I just checked their website and all of their 4.75" models have fixed sights. Inconvenient. Would you rather have adjustable sights or an easier to shoot package? All opinions are welcome.

5. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I love my heritage rough rider combo

ForumRunner_20120913_175754.jpg

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

How is the POI compared to the POA? And nice grips, I prefer wood but on the birdhead grip I think that mother of pearl looks better.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I think its as dead on as my single six

8. Garadex

Garadex New Member

That's good to know, don't want to buy a gun that can't hit a thing.

9. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Your'e looking at a "cowboy" SA. That's what they come with.
    You sight down the groove, line up the front, and shoot. If it's off, you figure out where and file down the front sight accordingly.
    Of course now days, we have adjustable sights, so by all means, for a few bucks more, go ahead and get them. :)

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well I'm cheap so i'll be getting the 4 3/4" variant.

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have no problems handling my Dan Wesson 357 mag with a 10" barrel. Once you become accustomed to shooting pistols with a long barrel they are a joy to shoot. If I bought a heritage I would get a longer barrel. In fact, I would get a "hand rifle" with a 9" barrel. One thing about heavier handguns is they force you to use muscles you never thought you had. A certain amount of conditioning is required. All the heritage pistols are fairly heavy. A model with a 9" barrel is only a few ounces heavier than a model with a 4" barrel.

Edit: 22mag cartridges are loaded with rifle powder. You need a longer barrel for all the powder to burn. The gas will not completely expand in a 9" barrel but at least all the powder has a chance to burn.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

sorrry please delete duplicate post

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I never thought about it like that thank you, but I will almost exclusively shoot .22LR.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Everyone should have a 22lr revlover. I have the gun you speak of. Mine has been very good. I would not hesitate to buy another. Dont worry about the sights. Mine is dead on.

15. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I should be going to a local dealer for 'em within the next two months so I'll be seeing which one is better for me soonish, 'till then I have to suffer in indecision.

16. accuracyman101

accuracyman101 New Member

I would say that it depends on what you will be doing with it and what range you will be shooting with it if you want accuracy and wanna maybe hunt small game or just shoot a few more yards accurately I would go with unfixed sights

17. eric1229

eric1229 New Member

Well I have a vaquero with fixed sights in 45lc and I know it's not exactly the same but my fixed sights are dead on the money. I wouldn't adjust them even if I could. But as always it's ur gun, ur money, ur preference bud.

18. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The Ruger system of assembly makes all their guns dead on out of the box. The last Blackhawk I purchased was about 2 clicks low right out of the box. It has been years but I don't remember making any major adjustments to my older Blackhawks.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I shoot two S&W revolvers, both with fixed sights and both shoot close to point of aim, if I do. Howerver, if I snatch the trigger, flinch, fail to watch the sights, stand off balance, and hold my breath until I turn blue, I can't hit a damn thing. Adjustable sights won't fix that.

I will never be a great marksman, I started too late, my eyes are too old, and my hands shake a bit. So, perfectly aligned sights would not mean that much to me. I shoot enough to know that my Model 65-2 shoots a little high and right. If I aim a little low and left I do fine.......