Thinking of building a 1911

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I want to build a 1911 that will make me never want another 1911. But I dont know what slide or frame I should go with. I know what internal parts ima use, stormlake match grade barrel, wilson comdat hammer, sear, pins, full length guide rod, thunder comp. Anysuggestions ona slide n frame...i dont want a tact rail, already have one

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one man. I have been thinking of doing the same here soon but don't really know where to start. Can't wait to hear the input from some of the 1911 gurus on here.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea I was thinkin a knight hawk or wilson frame and slide, match grade threaded barrel so I could throw a punisher style comp. Ive been looking for the comp but cant find it anywhere. I see the drop in bushings but thode are butt ugly

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Wilson, Caspian, STI, or Fusion Firearms.

All are going to required minor (sometimes major) fitting of parts.

Not knowing your expertise on the 1911, I would also suggest purchasing:
    Both of Kuhnhausen's books on the 1911, and
    Ed Brown's CD on custom work for the 1911.

The only frame/slide kit I have seen that involved merely "slapping" the pieces together was the Springfield Armory kit (when it was available).
    Patience, knowledge, quality tools are only some things required for the first time build.

5. mausershooter

mausershooter New Member

If your an advanced builder go with the Remsport. Remsport is the manufacture for Fusion. They are Matched frames and slides. If your not and advanced builder then get the Fusion.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What website

7. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Thank you for the links. Much appreciated. Gonna get myself one of those fusion kits.

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea me to thanks man, ima build the best d@mn 1911 out there

9. jmac2387

jmac2387 New Member

Fitting the parts

Just getting a lot of parts is not going to make a 1911 to end all.

there is a lot of precision fitting to make the parts work properly. You might consider a course to at least learn the basics.

+1 on the Kuhnhausen's books, but that will not teach you how to fit the slide, bushing or safety, or barrel link-- just what to start looking for.

Just my .02 worth, your experience may vary.

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Jusy got into guns a month ago, and my brain is like a sponge,soaking in all the info. Ill prolly have a gunsmith fit it all

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Walt Kuleck (wjkuleck) is a member here. Ask him if you should build your own 1911 after only being into guns for a month.

Start here to see some of his collection:

Let's see some 1911's

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. mausershooter

mausershooter New Member

Remsport Mfg
    Licensee Name: Rcs Diesel Service Inc
    566 Holyoke Street
    Ludlow, MA 01056
    Phone: 413-589-9976

No website.

This is a pix of a Fusion I built for a friend. I'm building a Remsport for myself.

The barrel bushing is easy to fit. The frame and slide fit can take a novice builder 30+ hours or an experianced builder 45 minutes. The barrel link is easy if you have the special tools. The safety came be a ***** for new builders. There is little margin for error and it needs to be right.

Attached Files:

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

"Wouldn't it be cool to build a 1911?"
    Yeah, I had that idea. Then I read Kuhnhausen's book. I have a friend who has built two of them. He has his own machine shop. More importantly, he has decades of metal working and mechanical experience. I suspect with enough time & trial & error, I could probably end up with a working pistol.
    Read Kuhnhausen's book cover to cover and get back to us. It's entirely possible that you may see the idea in a different light. Whatever happens, go in knowing the pitfalls.

Sorry, no such thing. If anything, it may make the problem worse. ;)

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with the others. a better option would be to buy as many books on 1911's and how they operate and are assembled and try your hand out on a beat up used one bought at a gun show, pawn shop or gun store and start there. without the proper equipment and specialized tools for building them, you may end up with a very expensive paperweight. i too many years ago wanted to build a 1911 from scratch, but after factoring in all the tools and the expense of outside labor for what i couldn't do, i could buy a couple of really nice 1911's ready to go. it is way more involved than people realize and they can be much more complicated and PITA to get to work as they are intended to. the building of a 1911 from the ground up isn't a project for a novice.

15. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Thanks for your advice, think I will read a bok or two

16. jmac2387

jmac2387 New Member

book or two

Or three or four.

You might looking into a gunsmithing course that specializes in 1911's.

Cylinder and Slide comes to mind. I know it is expensive, but you will have professionals as your guide in making the parts fit.

Your experience may vary.

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

where is this place I live on texas

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member