Thinking of Black Friday....and being PREPARED

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ArizonaLawman, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Okay all...less than a week to go until we embark on our Black Friday shopping mission.

As I KNOW (I hope) I am preaching to the choir...all of you who are going willingly, or like me, at the behest (read that told to by the wife) of the wife...you WILL be armed and ready.

So, let's talk about a couple of things...

1. Equipment. Obviously, you will need a defensive sidearm of sufficient caliber to stop a threat with all possible speed. You will need at least one reload. I don't care if you carry a wondernine or uberfotay with a hi-cap magazine...the magazine is the weak link in the semiauto, and as such a spare is just good thinking. If the one in the gun goes to hell...you have a ready-made repair kit. FLASHLIGHT! You will probably be going out in the dark and waiting in line OUTSIDE in the dark (make sure your batteries are fresh...if not shame on you and good luck with that candle). Common sense say...have 'em light! Sharp knife...do I need to explain that? CLEAN HANDKERCHEIF....even if your nose never runs, you have a clean BANDAGE handy. Cell phone...again...do I need to explain?

2. Have some protein. Whether it's a bar or jerky...have some in your pocket. If it's cold outside, you burn energy, get sleepy, and are not as alert as you should be in a crowd of people you don't know.

3. COFFEE! Mainly, just because I love my coffee...BUT...a large cup of steaming coffee in your OFF HAND makes one hell of a good non-lethal liquid projectile into the face of someone who is about to attack you physically. Think about it....SPLASH to face, step back and you now have a little more time in which to employ your defensive measure. I like to call it "Tactical Coffee".

It works. I know this from EXPERIENCE.

4. Keep your eyes moving AT ALL TIMES. Duh.

5. Do NOT look like a target. Remember...'tis the season for carjackings (and assaults, purse snatches, muggings, strong arm robberies....etc...etc...etc...)

Now, down to some brass tacks....remember CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED. Don't wave your CONCEALED weapon around for ANYONE to see. You don't need to show anyone. If you are new to concealed carry..."letting your roscoe show" does NOT make you cool. It makes you a douche. All you need is some mall ninja asking you to leave the shopping venue you waited in line for hours to get into.

Bin Laden is allegedly dead. Ghadaffi is allegedly dead. Some are still probably pissed off that Sadam is on the other side of the dirt. It IS the 10th Anniversary of 9-11...can you think of a better time for some sort of "retaliation"? In the shape that our economy is in, can you think of a better disruption than our busiest shopping day of the year?

KEEP YOUR DAMNED EYES OPEN.

Plan for, and know where the closest exits are at all times. Do NOT engage foolishness UNLESS you are close enough to be SURE OF YOUR SHOT to stop the threat RIGHT THE **** NOW. If you have NO experience in active shooter engagement, and you are more than an easy pistol shot away...GET YOUR FAMILY TO SAFETY.

If you have a friend who will be with you, and armed...share responsibility for watching one another's backsides.

I will have my wife, who is a currently serving officer with me...she's a pretty good partner...so I am not worried. Our daughter will be home with Grandma, a shotgun, and four 90+ pound landsharks, therefore, I will NOT have to worry about protecting my cub.

Also, remember, you are NOT a damned sheepdog. Your responsibility is to your safety and the safety of those who count on YOU to protect them.

I am not saying abandon people to slaughter...but if you are too far away to make a difference, GET THE HELL OUT and take as many to safety as you can with you. DO NOT engage. Your rounds flying willy nilly will probably hurt more than they will help. UNLESS YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO BE SURE OF A STOPPING SHOT!

Be safe, be aware, and have a good day.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

My wife hates that day but she always forgets. This year im taking her to cabelas in richfield wis. LOLOLOL!!! On a normal day that place is stupid busy!! should be funny as hell.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I'll be prepared "not" to go shopping.

4. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Lucky bastard!

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Me too, after reading that I'm staying the h**l home!

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Hehe. I'll probably go shooting. Weather permitting.

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

LMAO!! Yep, myself and the youngest (and hopefully the eldest, but doubtful, playing grab *** is to high on the priority list for a 21 y/o to be bothered with hanging out with dad and baby brother) are going to the range.

Good Stuff AZL, nothing but basic common sense listed, but unfortunately, common sense aint so common anymore.

8. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

If I had my d'ruthers....I'd be shooting too. HOWEVER...my wife took my "d'ruthers" and put them in the purse where she keeps my balls and my checkbook.

It's no big deal though...I think she bought me a new rifle for Christmas this year...she was really quizzing me HARD on what kind of rifle I don't already have but would really like.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Reminds me somewhat of patrol ops briefings in Fallujah.
    I took it to heart then too.

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

LMAO!!!

Welcome to the world of "wedded bliss"!

Sounds like a good trade off for a new rifle! ;)

I'll be thinking of you and all the "fun" your having while my boy and I are merrily blasting away!

Luckily, i have the most "unwomanly" of women. She hates shopping, doesnt like jewelery, doesnt do makeup etc. etc.

PLUS she fully supports my shooting, hunting, fishing addictions! She figures i could be like a lot of the guys we know and wasting all that time and money on a bar stool, smoking weed, etc etc...instead i am spending time with our kids in the woods, on the range, or in my reloading room.

She "gets it"! But alas, having gotten HER addicted to the shooting, i no longer can sneak away for some "me time" on the range AND she burns up more of my reloads than I do.

11. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Haha lmfao!

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

12. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

No shopping for me. My son and I will probably hang out here at the house. No more trips to the range until after the blasted holidays.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm not sure what I may be doing, but it won't be shopping. :D

14. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

My wife's a shooter too...but she is still girly enough to need retail therapy from time to time. But she REALLY likes to save money while doing it...so...off the BF we go!

15. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I will be forced to endure the craziness of black friday myself. I was actually thinking of rolling with my normal cw9 but bringing the lcp to keep in the pocket just in case

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Al Gore's internet is all I need :)

17. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Me too! Unfortunately, I'll be working at a Target on Black Friday as an off duty side job. They at least had the sense to hire a few coppers to maintain a uniformed presence to help keep the crazies under control.

18. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

I'm going shopping with my 'ol lady in a bigger city (haven't yet decided)....

I'll have my G30 IWB and my G27 on my ankle. I'll also have my fighting knife on me.

The lady friend will have her new and shiny SR9c in her purse (and Shea's damned good shot).

About the only good thing my doc tells me about PTSD is "hyper vigilance " so I'm always watching.

Should ANYTHING go down, THIS TIME I will choose flight instead of fight; unless there are extremely bad circumstances.....

Thanks for the advice! ;)

19. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

A g27 on your ankle?! Modern day ball and chain..

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

20. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Well..,, technically lower calf...... Has a little Korean fella make the rig..