thinking of a new handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kingcooley, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kingcooley

kingcooley New Member

I'm looking at buying my first handgun and someone told me to get a highpoint 45 any advice

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

What is your spending limit and what do you plan to use the gun for?

3. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I'm not an expert by any means. But if you have more money to spend, get something, anything else.

4. Charyoutree

Charyoutree New Member

I have no first-hand experience with Highpoints, but what I've seen and heard is that they are not too easily field stripped (for cleaning). In the concealed handgun safety class I went through this weekend there were 5 or 6 people there with Highpoints that had no idea how to take them apart. The instructor had them all come up to the front table and showed them how all at one time. It took 15 or 20 minutes and my impression was "Why go through that?"

A bit more money, but "newbie-friendly", I suggest a Glock. Easy to maintain (break down and clean) and can take a beating and still go bang. Just by reading through the owners manual I learned how o field strip and clean it in about 10 minutes. With only a little practice, I can have the gun ready for cleaning in less than 15 seconds and have it cleaned and reassembled in about 3 or 4 minutes (a few minutes longer if I've been shooting dirty ammo).

That being said, go handle different guns at your local gun store and find out which you like best--what fits your hand best, which has the right weight and balance for you, which one you like the look of best. A handgun is a very personal tool and you have to find what works best for you.

Good luck and good shooting!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

5. kingcooley

kingcooley New Member

I em looking at the xdm 45 as well but it will take a bit longer to save for it

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Hi-Point is generally considered an iron brick of an inexpensive gun. They are heavy, ungainly, and butt ugly. However, they have withstood some pretty daunting torture tests.

Hi-Point wouldn't be on my buy list, but it depends on what your budget is. So what is your budget?

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

This one is definitely worth saving and waiting for. Nothing wrong with an XD 45 either, although the XDm has some nice additional features.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Most definitely.

9. kingcooley

kingcooley New Member

Thank you all for your help I think I will save for the xdm 45 I'm not hearing vary good things about the high point I em still open to other ideas my price range is no more then 600 $ right now

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

When it comes to common/service pistols you're going to get the best bang for your buck in the $300-600 price range...at least that's my opinion. And in that range about 90% of the choices from major manufacturers are really solid guns. Just figure out what fit and features suit you.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With your being new to handguns, have you considered a revolver?

Plenty of BANG, without too much buck.

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Handgun for what? Ruger .22 revolver or semi autos are hard to beat. Smith revolvers are good starters in centerfire, as with rugers. If u go with a centerfire semi auto I would try Ruger, smith, or what feels right.

13. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

OK, new gun buyer... been doing this since 1967 or so- speaking from my personal experience, the Hi-Point .40 and 9mm arent that great. Kind of like a one use pistol... it's good they are there for those who cannot afford the money or time to wait and buy something else. Realise that H-P has zip resale value, and may function ONLY with full metal jackets or "solid points". Speaking from personal experience here. If you are going to get it to have it, shoot a couple times and then throw it in a tackle box, fine. You want one you can use and depend on over time....
    If possible, look around and do some internet research on whatever catches your interest. Like the other guy said, you might want to consider a revolver first, maybe a double-action Ruger or Smith .357 4 inch.. Good for practice, practical carry and use. Maybe a Taurus in 4 inch .357? Learn your weapon.. a .357 can also use .38 special as a practice round or even with high velocity .38 hollow-points.. as well as .357 of various types. Very adaptable. You COULD consider a single action Western-style revolver but from the sound of it you want something a bit quicker firing and reloading. The double-action revolver allows the use of speed-loaders which enable you *with practice* to stay in the game.
    You might want to take some hand-gun safety and shooting classes once you do get your gun- it will help you increase your proficiency and your gun "savvy" and has been worth doing for myself. Plus you MIGHT meet some cool contacts worth getting to know.
    45 years ago <yikes> my first pistol was a Ruger MkI .22 auto, graduated to a Ruger Old Army and then a .38 and then a Colt Python.. Got into the Colt 45 auto and was hooked on Autos...and the disease spread and got progressively worse as i had to buy and become familiar with beaucoup pistols and revolvers.. eventually settled into a couple of revolvers and autos like the High Power Brownings and Walther P38 and on and on and on.... Finally, I have arrived at the point you seem to have arrived at already! The Springfield XD .45 or the XDm, either/or with the XDm running a hundred or more bucks than the XD, they use the same mags and both outshine the G***k and give the Colt Combat Commander a good run for the money. Unlike the block it has a grip safety which provides that extra margin should something go terribly wrong while holstering or God forbid you drop it... It is the first and only plastic I have ever considered buying after shooting a buddy's XD and was a day or so away from getting my own and Something Else showed up which put the auto on the sidelines.
    My professional experience and particular personal knowledge says "Get the auto", learn it and go from there. Good luck, God bless and happy shooting!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  14. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I picked up my first handgun in September, and after narrowing my choices to the S&We sigma or Ruger P95, I ended up with a Ruger SR9C. It was more comfortable in my hand and gave me a few options if I ever decide to carry it. I walked out of the shop with it spending around $430. I'm very happy with it, and it goes bang every time. Eventually I may step up to the SR40 for the larger size, but there are other guns I want to buy first. Figure out what your budget is, then go to the shop and find out what fits the best within your budget.

15. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Excellent choice with XDm, you'll love that gun. My XDm9 is awesome...accurate, reliable, and well...looks badass :)

Unless you're dead set on the 45 I would recommend the 9mm for your first gun.

Cheaper ammo means more range time.

It should be easier to learn the fundamentals with a 9mm over a 45 also.

There are some good options for 9mm defensive ammo if you need it and with 19+1 capacity it's a pretty formidable weapon in the right hands.

Just my 2 cents.

16. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

IMHO, a revolver makes for a better first handgun. Lots of choices. The Ruger SP101 and GP100 are good values.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I tend to lean toward the revolver camp. But the XDm is actually a pretty good choice as well. The 9 mm suggestion is also worth considering.

I would also like to add that you should visit the new member's section and tell us about yourself. If nothing else, it will help us help you.
    Do you have ANY firearms experience? If not, I strongly recommend that you consider a basic handgun class before buying anything.

18. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

Just got my wife a Glock 19 (9mm). Sweetest shooting gun I have shot in a long time. Easy to field strip and clean and is great for her. About $500 with case and 2 mags. DSC00181.jpg

19. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure I subscribe to this school of thought but perhaps I'm missing some key information? Both revolvers and semi-autos require safe handling knowledge and practice as well as basic handgun training and knowledge of your specific handgun.

IMHO a semi-auto is an easier handgun to use so I'm not really sure why it's not a good choice for a first handgun.

+ infinity to this^^^

KingCooley- just for reference I also have a S&W M&P40 and Glock40 and the Glock is my least favorite of the the 3. The M&P40 is the most comfortable handgun I've held but the XDm9 is a great shooter! It's all personal preference so you gotta go hold em/shoot em to see what YOU like the best. Many ranges have a good selection of guns you can rent to see what you like.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  20. kingcooley

kingcooley New Member

Well today I went to my local gun store and put the xd 9 on payment plan I em vary happy with it I took 2 hrs to decide that was what I wanted I also signed up for a ccw and basic handgun safety class wish me luck