Thinking about the glock

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by StanDJ77, Jul 23, 2010.

1. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

hello peeps, im new to this forum and had some thoughts. Im saving for a .40 cal, and the glock22 catches my eye. Heard great things bout the glock but some also some bad. So, what gun should i consider over the glock, but staying reasonable with price? must be comfy for ccw too;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Think about the Springfield XD line. Same polymer premise, many improvements.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the FTF Community. Some of the folks would like to see you stop by the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. I will leave that decision up to you.

The Glock is not my favorite weapon, but for what it was designed to do ( go bang every time ) it's a very good choice, especially if it's your only self defense firearm.

Now, as for a CCW goes, it lacks a manual safety which I, personally, prefer for safety measures.

The Springfield XD is a similar platform, as is the Sigma that a couple of the folks here like.

The most important advice we can give you is to go to a range and rent to shoot a few different models. The weapon that feels best TO YOU is what you should get. If you buy what I like, you might not like it, and then you might not practice with it, which can be very detrimental to your health. :cool:

Go and shoot some, then tell us what you think!

JD

4. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I was a die-hard Glock-hater for years (I like a hammer I can actually see and shunned striker-fired handguns) and finally caved and bought a G27. It's "ok" and I like it it but it will never be my main carry gun. The G22 would probably be more comfortable to shoot. My G27 has been relegated to keep the rest of the "queens" company in the safe but there are an awful lot of Glock lovers out there and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice. Like Dillinger, I like a manual safety.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

+1 on trying different handguns. I can shoot a Sigma all day, but Glocks have a tendency to scrape the bottom of my trigger finger. Had one and sold it as soon as possible.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One thing about Glocks is they have a unique grip angle - it works well for some folks and not others. The finger grooves on the later versions just do not work for me and I find them uncomfortable to shoot. As others have said - the only way to make a wise choice is to go to a range and rent various pistols. This is the ONLY way to find the gun(s) that work for you...

7. rugermatt

rugermatt New Member

i don't consider myself a glock hater, but not u huge fan. it really depends on what you are useing the gun for. if it will sit on the nightstand and occasional range session, i would reccomend a ruger p90. it's a very fair priced reliable gun, and hell it you can't shoot an invader then throw the thing at them and it will knock them unconsious. it is not at all concealable though. if you want one for both carry and home defence there are many that will hold you over untill your next one, and trust me there is always a next one. i agree on the manual safety also, i remember when my father first got into pistols, he shot the freakin house up a few times.lol. it's really not funny, but i learned about the importance of gun safety through his mistakes.luckily no one was ever hurt(except our ears). hold em, shoot em ,read up on them, and trade em in. that's the only way to really learn what you like to shoot/put your life on.

8. spraynpray

spraynpray New Member

Glocks

I like the Glock myself. I prefer the G19 for a lot of shooting, cheaper ammo and easier to control. I have a G22 and 27 and notice if I don't watch it I flitch waiting for the recoil. You might look at a Police Trade Ins you can get them cheap.

9. druryj

druryj New Member

If I could only have one gun, it would be my Glock 19. Outside some steel guns, all the rest are pretenders to me.

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Check out the Mod 22 Gen 4. It's been a very good seller since it was introduced last winter and I like the way it fits better than my Gen 3.

But as stated earlier, the handgun should fit you like a nice pair of slippers and you'll know when it's right. You need to consider length of pull, weight, and balance. Good Luck with your upcoming purchase.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'm a big Glock fan, but you need to get whatever fits you best.

I had a Walther P99 in .40 and was very happy with it (the Walther holds up better than the S&W99 due to a slight difference on the inside).

But if you decide on the Glock22, go with a Gen4. The Glock .40's have always been under sprung (using the same recoil spring as the 9mm) which has lead to problems. The new Gen 4 is sprung correctly.

And welcome aboard.

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

I love my Glocks. But since you're looking around, you might check out the M&P from Smith & Wesson in addition to the guns other posters have mentioned. They are similar to the Glocks and XDs — polymer frame, striker-fired.

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I would say Springfield XD sub compact which is what i switched to after having a Glock for many years, unless you have monster hands or bigger hands it can be a pain to get a good grip on a Glock as they are very wide.

14. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Of course, if you aren't sold on the Glock, you could always check out a 1911... Rock Island Armory starts around 400 for a .45 and about 10 bucks more for a 9mm...

15. jbd

jbd New Member

You should hold and shoot as many different hand guns you can before you make the choice it can save you some money down the road by doing so. When you do make you choice shoot as much as you can to become familiar and safe with the new gun. Good luck.

16. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

If you like the way it feels, get a Glock.

The Gen 4's have the same type of interchangeable backstrap grips that XD's do, so they fit a lot more folks now.

I've got a Gen 2 Glock 20 (10mm) which fits just right & is moderately concealable.

My wife carries a Taurus 24/7 C (Compact 9mm) which is easier for her to hide.

If you reload, don't go nuts with the powder...worst thing about any pistol is somebody getting goofy with the powder...I've got a collection of pics of every type of pistol having a KABOOM...and almost every one of 'em was reloaded ammo that was overpowered.

17. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Like some of the good folks here already told you, try to handle and shoot a few different pistols before making a choice. Sometimes the gun you find aesthetically appealing just doesn't fit your hand well or you find some other caliber more comfortable than your first choice.

If I were you I'd head down to a range that had some guns for rent and try out a few in 9mm, .40 and .45. Either of those three, with the right defensive ammo, will work.

If polymer framed striker fired pistols are what you like, then try out a few Glocks, Springfield XDs, S&W M&Ps (the XD has a grip safety and the M&P can be had with a manual safety as well) and Ruger SR9.

18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

As many have mentioned, go shoot as many weapons as you can before you decide. You are trying to fit the weapon to you and no one else.
    I personally can't shoot a Glock worth crap. The grip angle messes me up. I also don't care for the only safety being on the trigger. I like the XD in the world of polyer handguns but that's my choice.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The only external safety is the drop safety on the trigger.

Internally, the firing pin block works similar to the way it does on most modern pistols. It blocks the entire striker channel until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

Plus, the sear plate is wedged into a notch that will not allow the striker (firing pin) forward unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear (where it drops out of the way of the striker).

The only reliable safety on any firearm is the trigger finger.

20. utf59

utf59 New Member

I believe spittinfire was referring to the grip safety that the XD has in addition to the drop safety on the trigger.