Thinking about the 226

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by ledhead97, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ledhead97

ledhead97 New Member

I'm thinking about getting the sig p226 in a 40. For both me and my mom I checked one out today and held it and it felt amazing smooth and clean thinking about making it a home defense weapon and my mom will carry hers what do you guys think?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The 226 is a large gun, much too big for carry in my opinion. They are great guns though if they fit the user.

Me personally, I've had one for about a month or so and honestly don't care for it, shoots great... Just not for me.

3. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Love my 226 extreme in 40.I've had her for well over five years.I have fired at least 4000 rounds out of her and she's eati'n everything I ever fed her (steel cased Tula all the way to PDXI Home defense loads).I have both the 357. and 9mm conversion barrels.Where I agree about her being a big gun and for me to carry concealed is not gonna happen except maybe winter time or when hunting.Mom may want to rethink this and ask her lgs to let her slip it in her carry position to find out if it's right for her.As for home defense definetly a great pistol.

4. CJx

CJx New Member

I have never carried one on me before, but I would think it would be carryable. It's not crazy heavy at all and not crazy big at all, so you would have to try it out. I think it would be easier to carry in a shoulder holster, but it might get tiring quicker being around ones chest rather that on the waistline, but again i've never carried one for CCW before.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Just curious why .40, and have either of you shot .40 before?

6. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a 226 in .40 cal and personally didn't care for it. The kick wasn't harsh but kinda awkward, best way I can describe it. Mine was just the nitrone with night sights so perhaps different grips could of made the difference. I have heard that because the gun was designed for 9mm it has unbalanced recoil in .40 which makes sense to me after shooting it, I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My 226 .40 is my trusted bedside gun because its the one auto that has NEVER malfunctioned on me.

Having personally carried just about every size handgun in my time I would agree the 226 is a lot of gun for a man to conceal but if your mom purse carries in a dedicated holster purse it should not be a problem.

You will hear many opinions on caliber and the .40 is "snappier" than the others but the 226 is plenty of gun to handle it if .40 is your choice.

Tack

8. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I just bought my first P226 a couple of weeks ago and I have been extremely pleased with it. I had read a bunch about it and most of it was positive...things I liked:

1. Decocker allows you to carry the gun with hammer down easily, DA on first shot.
    2. Mk 25 has excellent sights
    3. Gun is very accurate
    4. I find the recoil of the 9mm to be tame so accurate follow up shots are easy...easier than any other 9mm I own
    5. 15 round capacity is always welcome
    6. 4.4# trigger pull in single action is crisp and clean which further aids accuracy
    7. It looks good!

Things I don't like
    1. Expensive...mine was 1000 new and with the current state of affairs, new gun prices are on the high side
    2. The trigger reset was a bit longer than I expected on the Mk25 but not bad
    3. not really anything else so far

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Why not go for a SIG P228? Might be easier to carry and from what I understand it is just a downsized P226.

Apologies if I have my models mixed up. I understand they discontinued either the P228 or P229. Either way, the one they still make should make a better carry gun and I know they are available in .40 S&W.

10. ledhead97

ledhead97 New Member

We have both shot 40. And love that caliber it has more stoping power than a 9 and were more comfortable with the 40.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't know about the stopping power better thing. But the 40 round is a good one. And the 226 is a great platform.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

13. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Good. Just wanted to make sure you've both shot .40 before. There's endless debate on ballistics, recoil, and magazine capacity. I know at one time it bugged me and I was looking at .40 too. I have a p226 in 9mm and absolutely love it, as does anyone that I've let shoot it.

14. ledhead97

ledhead97 New Member

Why do you say that I just think since the .40 is a bigger caliber that it has more stopping power than a 9mm

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

It's a commonly debated issue. And really a moot point where terminal ballistics are concerned as long as you're using modern JHPs.

image-2685373422.jpg

Not a big difference is there? But some people will debate it to death.

(Image found here: http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#Why not M193/M855)

The real concern with handgun calibers is recoil management, and that varies from person to person and from gun to gun. A good rule of thumb for new handgun shooters is to work with the biggest caliber that you can efficiently manage the recoil with. But you don't sound new so hey if you're used to .40 then shoot .40, there's nothing wrong with it.

Another good rule to follow: if you're looking to buy a different make/model gun, find a way to rent/borrow one just like it and shoot it before you buy it if at all possible.

The P226 doesn't recoil like a gun designed to be chambered for .40, because it wasn't. It was designed to be chambered for 9mm. Once you shoot it you may find that you like the P239 better in .40, they changed more than just the barrel, slide and chamber on it from 9mm to .40, unlike the P226. ;-) I'm not saying you will, just throwing it out there as an example of what can happen if you shoot before you buy.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Check out a p229; its a bit smaller, shorter barrel and lighter. It's more compact is the take away from my comment.
    You can't go wrong with SIG reliability and quality, but the P226 might be a bit too large IMO especially for CC.
    My P229, like Tack mentioned, is my bedside pistol. I would stake my life on it (god forbid) if I had to. My P229 has SIGlite night sights and an SRT trigger and I find it quite manageable. And after 1000+ rounds not a single misfire, FTF FTE or whatnot. Yes it's pricey, but worth the cost IMO.

17. JoeSchmuckatello

JoeSchmuckatello New Member

I've owned a Sig P226 .40 cal for several years and I love the weapon. It was accurate as Hell right out of the box and it has been a reliable weapon with any and all ammo I've run through it. That and my Springfield Armory Loaded (one step down from the Range Officer) 1911-A1 are my 2 favorite open carry weapons.

My indoor range target shooting with the Sig -- target at 45 feet:

[​IMG]

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Pretty well sums up my opinion. It's an excellent gun without question. I just prefer something a little slimmer. I had a P226 for a couple years and really couldn't lodge any complaints about its performance. It just didn't fit me (honestly, I wish it did).

I prefer CZ 75, BHP, and 1911s when it comes to metal framed guns, and often carry a single-stack polymer XDs45.

Buy whatever performs best in your hands. If that's a P226, I have no reason to deter you. Great gun.

19. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Check the web they just had a recall on the XDS line.

20. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have been CCW carrying my 226 357Sig forever, well since they came out. I love it.

[​IMG]