Thinking about Selling or trading a S&W 629 Classic for an AR15.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Sams1911, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Sams1911

Sams1911 New Member

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

No!!!!!

What you do is watch how prices are dropping for ARs.
    Watch how the pile of money increases when you put every $5 you get into the pile.

When the two dollar amounts are equal, then purchase an AR and keep the Smith.

Or try to put $10 a week in an envelope. At the end of 52 weeks, you will have $520.

But never trade one gun for another. Most of the time, you lose.

3. Sams1911

Sams1911 New Member

I like the 629. But I think I can have more fun with an AR. On the other hand I think about which would be better to have if the SHTF and which is more durable.

Attached Files:

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One can never have too many firearms that need to be fed.

Keep the Smith and find a way to purchase an AR (even if at a later date).

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have to agree. An entry-level AR is only gonna run you in the $600-700 range and the Smith is closer to $1,000. If you truly want to trade, get a nice optic or a couple of cases of ammo thrown in to even up the deal.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

No one can tell you that. Both are want guns, not need guns. The 629 is (somewhat) special. Most ARs are not, but some are. For sports, shooting a 5.56 semi-auto long gun is likely to beat shooting a 44 Mag handgun, and for half the price. I think you will be happier to get another name brand, like Colt, for your SW.

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

it depends on your requirement.

Any AR15 w/o will give you tons more firepower and will protect your family better in a SHTF situation.

If you dont think you will be able to afford one w/o giving up the Smith then give it up.

But from a collectors standpoint the Smith is more interesting..
    So it depends who you view yourself.
    As a firearms collector or a prepper?

:)

8. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

I feel that I need my AR ;)

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I wouldn't do it. ARs are a dime a dozen but that Smith is a thing of beauty. As far a SHTF firearms, what else is in your stable? If you've got more than two handguns, a rifle and a shotgun you won't be able to carry the guns and ammo too far anyway. If you're staying put and bugging in whatever puts bullets down range becomes a SHTF firearm.

10. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The only way I would make that trade, is if I were coming out really well on it.

I do believe that later on (say 5 or 10 years) you may regret it.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not trying to dissuade anyone, but if you talk about value, keep it real. In the fall of 2012 the ARs were not dime a dozen. The most basic ones flew off the shelves for $1500 and more, if you could get hold of any. What was dime a dozen? Doomsday predictions. How soon we forget.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's a fine handgun, I'd hang on to it unless you're sure it's not for you. But don't trade a handgun like that for a low end AR. If you really need an AR get a good one and you'll find out more about that in the AR forum.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Doesn't matter what was happening in Fall 2012. I can walk into a local Wal-Mart today and buy a DPMS for $679. We're talking about a trade in the present day.

14. therukh

therukh New Member

Save your money & your Smith! I've done what you're considering & similar trades/sellings several times in my life & regretted them all!

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A trade made today is only as good as it is seen tomorrow.

Besides, the 629 is a high-end model. I am far from suggesting a DPMS or just any AR. But a Colt would do.

16. vincent

vincent New Member

+1...

If you just plain don't like the 629 then by all means get something you'll enjoy but...

If you're just itching to get something in an AR platform, and are wanting to use it as the means to get one, I think it's a BIG mistake...

A quality AR isn't going to be a hard find, or build...

A quality shootin' iron like that 629, well, that's a different story...:cool:

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I don't shoot revolvers that big for fear of cracked bones.

But I shoot the AR all the time, no problem.

In a trade, I'd be certain I were getting

a Colt or better.

18. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm not suggesting he trade for a DPMS, in fact I don't think he should trade at all. Unless the trade is so lopsided in his favor it would be foolish not to. (Daniel Defense comes to mind)

I'm using to DPMS to illustrate the current AR market. I could pickup 10 ARs at any of the shops I frequent. Just as silver was worth $50 per oz a couple years ago and is now $20, there is no guarantee it will ever climb back to $50. Past performance does not indicate future results.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If your talking the Mdl 29 CLASSIC ( 5" Barrel- word Classic" on barrel) i'd hang on to it---Had one yrs back---
    Wish I still did----------------------

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have have owned some very drool worthy pistols in the past when you could walk into any hardware store and buy a Colt Python for $200. I regret selling them all. Unless you just hate the S&W I would keep it if I had to wait 5 years to buy an AR15. You are talking about trading a work of art for a glorified plastic 22 wmr. We know the S&W will still be running 100 years from now. We don't know what will happen to composites in 100 years.