Thinking about joining the high school football team

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Aug 13, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well im thinking about joing my high schools football team. Im not big (5'9 but im skinny) I have been working out and stuff but im not good at running long distances but im pretty fast for short distances. I only weigh 120lbs though and this is going to be my freshman year, im pretty strong though but im still not sure if i want to join. What do you guys think? What excercises should i do?

2. kycol

kycol New Member

Running and more running, lots of leg work outs. Also lots of stretching and more running. Practice running falling hard and getting up running.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

you only live once ... do it. Play football, wrestle, lacrosse, whatever sports you can for every season ;)

as for exercises - calisthenics and plyometrics, can't beat em'. Forget weight training - how many weight lifting movements do you see being applied in sports? About the only beneficial weight lifting exercise for sports would be dead lifting - it's a full body workout (be sure to protect your lower back and use good form, strength will come in time). Also, one of the most undervalued aspects to physical fitness - stretching.

I was 5'-8" 145 when I started HS ... 4yrs later I left at 6'-2" at 192, 6%bf, fastest and strongest in the school ;)

watch her videos - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9EsucslK8[/ame]

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok , Im going to join. Ill let you guys know how it works out

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Colleges don't only look at grades. They want to see that you took an active role in school. Joining a few sports is always a good idea.

6. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

Just remember, once you commit, don't quit. If you quit, you'll regret it forever. I was 5'9" 170lbs. I played 7,8,9,10 grades and did not play my Junior year cause I wanted to make money. (i was a teenager, I couldn't make that much anyway)... My senior year I went back to playing. I was all conference nose guard at 170 pounds (1st team) and all conference (honorable mention tail back)... It was the greatest years of my life. (my junior year sucked).
    Moral is, play all you can and, date all you can (as a side note)... No one can take away your experiences and the character you build by playing sports (and that doesn't matter if you suck or your a stud)...!

7. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I played for 10 years throughout hs and college, my beat friends and memories are all from those years. Now that I cannot play anymore I would do anything in the world to be able to do it all over. Don't miss the life experience

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I focused more on trying to 'tackle' the cheerleaders. Lol

9. vincent

vincent New Member

BINGO!!! Some of my fondest memories are from the gridiron. Like said before, do it and do it all the way. A positive attitude and team spirit will go a long way with your coaches.

When I was prepping for double sessions, all I really did was run, and run, and run. Won't hurt to do a little ab work and if you've never worn a helmet before, strengthen your neck, it gets heavy after a while...

Best wishes to you and keep us updated!!

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

a little bit of advice - tackling/hitting is more about technique than it is about size/strength

do some research on youtube, watch the techniques used. it could prevent you from serious injury and/or long term complications. Plus, you may end up with one hell of a highlight reel afterwards ;)

11. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Best memories are from football. Work on your abs that's where u get hit alot that and helmet to helmet so learn to play with major headaches.
    Id give a nut to be able to play for four more years.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

VERY BAD ADVICE.

Do NOT learn to play with headaches. Concussions are a very serious thing and very likely has long term after effects.

Beast, join the football team if you'd like. It's not for everyone but give it a try. If you don't like it, try something different the next year. My oldest son was very athletic in high school and didn't like football. He preferred soccer and baseball. Some would rather golf, wrestle, etc. The only 'rules' I had for my kids were once you joined a team, you had to finish the season. I would not let them quit after a couple games if they didn't like it. It's not fair to the team and it teaches responsibility and follow through, I felt. I always told them, "Once you sign up, you have to play the whole season. You don't have to sign up again next year but you can't quit mid season." When I told other parents my thinking they'd always so, "Yeah, I spent a lot of money signing little Johnny up for whatever sport." To me, it wasn't about the money, it was about 'keeping a promise', in a sense.

In any case. Play the way your coach tells you to play. He will NOT tell you to hit helmet to helmet. High school coaches have to follow the rules of IHSA and safety is a very big part of those rules.

13. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

I wasn't agreeing to hit helmet to helmet. I hatted that! What I mean is you will get your bell rang but that's the sport and u gotta play through it

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

and in both instances you would be wrong! :mad: DO NOT LEARN TO PLAY WITH MAJOR HEADACHES and DO NOT PLAY THROUGH IT!

if you get your bell rung, take a seat and ice your neck ... DO NOT LAY DOWN! if anyone says differently, ignore them. You only get 1 brain and it has to last you a lifetime

15. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

So u never played with a headache? Don't be mad .. but again its not football if we have to sit out every time you get hit.. sure sit out for a series no problem and really do so if you feel like your heads gunna fall off. But that's the sport and that's the name of the game u don't play football to play patty cake

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I have and did and in each instance it was not the smart thing to do. The effects of concussions are cumulative, meaning have one today and you are more likely to have one tomorrow. It takes more than sitting out a series to recover from the damage that is done by a concussion.

The last concussion I had, while at work, took almost 3 weeks before I could walk/talk without feeling like I would fall over. That's the lasting legacy of sustaining head injuries and not getting proper treatment. :eek:

17. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Let's just settle at this if one feels ****ty to play its up to the player and coach.. not gunna argue online

18. vincent

vincent New Member

That actually explains a lot!! :D :D :D

Seriously, Dog is right, concussions are nothing to get all 'machismo' about, but there are times when you may not even realize you got your bell rung. Like he said, it adds up over time...something to think about...:cool:

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Concussions suck. I've had many.
    Having to be woken up every two hours for 3 nights in a row to make sure you wake up is not fun.

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

explains what? :confused:

:p

Attached Files: