Thinking about buying this WASR, what do you think?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by nopistons93, Oct 3, 2010.

1. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

2. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Ah shoot, nevermind. I have to buy a single stack model if I want it to be NJ legal later on.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Between the AR and the AK, you might as well just stay in SC. Who in there right mind would want to live in NJ after experiencing the Carolinas?:eek:

4. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Haha, I'm thinking about buying this anyway. I have the ability to store rifles legally in another state that this is legal in. What do you think? I like the polymer furniture on it

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Buy it and stay in SC, you'll be happier. Studies prove it.:D

6. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Ok ok, fine :cool:. In all reality, I will be joining up the military in a year or so anyway, and then I'll be shipped all over. But then I live only 10 min from PA anyway, so why not just live there if I want to move back north? :D

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Looks strange w/ plastic. Wood is much nicer. 5.45 is a real cheap round!!!

8. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

this is 7.62x39 though JP

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ah come on...we have golf courses and beaches too...:p

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

For the money it's pretty hard to beat a WASR-10/63 for a near AKM clone. You might want to look around more unless you like the Tapco furniture. I like the traditional wood myself which is what I have on my four year old WASR. Over that time my rifle never has malfunctioned once, even though I used to fire a lot of corrosive surplus ammo from the '60s.

A basic WASR would be closer to $400 but I suppose if you wanted the Tapco stocks $500 wouldn't be bad. Still, I'd rather get a stock WASR then upgrade it myself so I'd have the original wood stocks and the new stocks for the same money.

The WASR pictured does not have a flash hider, just a slant brake that should unscrew off. Can't tell about the bayonet lug but that could be filed off if necessary for legal reasons. (And a muzzle nut could be welded over the barrel threads but it wouldn't be worth the expense to do something about the large magwell.) Since it's NIB I expect it does have the lug intact. My WASR was old enough to have been affected by the AWB so it had the bayonet lug filed slightly so it wouldn't work and had a welded on muzzle nut to prevent the threaded barrel to be used. Since the ban no longer mattered in my state I hacksawed through the weld, unscrewed the nut and screwed on a flash hider. Also have a slant brake but the FH makes more sense on a semiauto AKM. I never fixed the bayonet lug but could have it welded then shaped to lock on a bayonet - just wasn't worth the trouble though.

I'd say since you have a place to store legally, get preban guns not neutered ones. And when you get out of the service you can deal with what you have and where you'll live. Odds are the prebans will be worth more money even if you have to sell them in a few years.

Good luck during your tours and stay safe!

ETA:
    I have to agree with Shihan, think about staying in the Carolinas! I was born in Mayberry, NC - err, a small town near Winston-Salem and stayed there until I joined the Army at 18. After the service I did leave for Phoenix then retired in Idaho but often think I shoulda come back home!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  11. orangello

orangello New Member

What does Jersey think about an SKS? I love my buddy's WASR, but if detachable mags or mag capacity is a problem, the SKS might suit you just as well with some stripper clips and an internal mag (though external mags are available).

Personally, i don't mind the plastic furniture.

12. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Ok, I've contacted a gun shop in NJ thanks to the help of Pyle and here's the deal..

To make this NJ legal

1. Remove bayonet lug (or it may not have one to begin with like this rifle)

2. Take off any flash hinderer and add a muzzle brake which has to be PERMANTALY attached to rifle (the seller here is actually pinning and welding the muzzle brake on for me)

3. Can not have a folding stock, must be one uniform length and not adjustable. (I'm replacing the collapsable one here with a straight stock from tapco)

4. CAN accept mags that are over 15 rounds but you CAN NOT have those magazines in NJ or you are violating the law.

So for me, this is a good deal since if I bought a WASR 10 from a company, I would have to pay for it to be adjusted (ie weld the muzzle brake). I do not want the wood furniture on this gun, I plan on the future buying a more traditional AK, one that is of higher quality in which I will keep the wood on it. So I bought this gun today!

BTW: I'm actually going to buy the black furniture for this as well. This will be my Transformer-AK :thumbsup:

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well that sounds like a plan... I didn't realize NJ would allow a reamed out magwell that accepts 30rd mags, so your solution makes everything much easier and the gun really isn't terribly neutered since you're just welding on the slant brake that most AKs have and who cares about the bayonet lug (except for show). I'd still rather have the evil version but you've kinda got the best of both worlds since you can have it in NJ yet still use 30rd mags in non-ban states.

And honestly I'm thinking of getting some 20rd mags since 30rders are heavy and unwieldy. On the other hand I'm toying with the idea of fixing my bayonet lug to make the rifle fully evil! :D (ETA: Except for full auto of course...)

Anyway, good luck with it, and let us know how it works!

14. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Yea man, well if you think about it, an AR-15 can take 30 mags and those are NJ legal. They actually sell WASR 10s in NJ, but I'm not sure if they are the single or double stack.