Thinking about buying a used pistol.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by suptra25, Aug 6, 2012.

1. suptra25

suptra25 New Member

So, i've heard some people saying that you can find really good deals sitting outside at a gun show and striking up a conversation with a stranger. My question is about the legality of the whole situation. What if i buy a gun used in a criminal act of some kind? Is there a way i can run the serial # before i buy one. Also is even legal to do a "gun deal" on the street or in a parking lot like that? I've grown up around firearms so guns in public are nothing new. I've just always bought mine new so i wouldn't have to worry about these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

In NY no it's illegal. Transaction has to take
    Place inside the gunshow. But meeting some one in a park or public lot is fine. At this time it's on you and the seller to abide by the rules.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

In MS and many freer states, it is perfectly legal to buy a privately-held firearm from an individual prettymuch anywhere that firearm is legal to possess.

\
    Not unless you have a reeeeally accomodating police officer friend. The BATFers only want the police running them as part of "active investigations".

4. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

This could vary from State to State and even County to County. I would check with your local law enforcement or Attorney General as a "CYA" procedure.

I know in Florida you can sell a gun to anyone on a handshake without even writing a bill of sale. I would never sell one without a bill of sale and an ID from both parties just to protect everyone involved but it is legal to do so.

5. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

This is also legal in Georgia.

6. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

IMHO you do get a better value purchasing used. Do not try to buy on the street unless you are looking for trouble. The few dollars that you might save will only bring you grief later. Buy on the up and up and be sure that your purchase is legal.

7. suptra25

suptra25 New Member

Well i figured today id go straight to the source. So i called my local sheriff's office and they told me that as soon as i can get the serial number to call and ask for dispatch and they have the capabilities to run the extended search on the firearm(s). They also applauded me for being so cautious. Thanks all, for the help.

8. billt

billt New Member

You should do this before you make the purchase. The only concern is if the gun was stolen. If it was and you are found in possession, you will certainly lose it. If the gun was used in any other crime, it would have come into police possession at some point. Police do not release firearms that have been involved in serious crimes. Most all are held as evidence, then destroyed. In spite of what politicians say, there are very few "bad guns" being sold at gun shows. The ATF is usually around such shows, and they monitor suspicious behavior and individuals quite closely.