Thinking about a new build what do u think?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lifeguardkliff, Aug 21, 2013.

1. lifeguardkliff

lifeguardkliff New Member

I haven't even shot my first build yet, that comes this weekend, but I'm already thinking about my next and want to go with a bigger caliber for longer distance I have a few places I can go for targets out to 800yrds and I was wondering what you guys would recommend

2. COLDdeadFINGERS

COLDdeadFINGERS New Member

I need a rifle cleaning kit that's top notch for my custom.

3. lifeguardkliff

That was good help def gonna keep that in mind.....

4. COLDdeadFINGERS

Sorry dont know where to talk about cleaning kits. So I chimed in here.

5. COLDdeadFINGERS

I just got my new build. Will shoot it this weekend. It cost several pretty pennies but its sweet!

6. COLDdeadFINGERS

.300 win mag is a nice rd. that's what I just had built

7. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Do you want to stay with the AR15 Platform, or go with the AR10 Platform?
    AR15 Platform, there's just a simple change of either just Barrel, or combo of Barrel, Bolt and Magazine. Everything else stays same.
    AR10 is totally different and you must go with this platform in using all components. Nothing in AR15 will work in this platform. Much higher costs with this platform.

8. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Just use a good Bore Guide and a Brass Cleaning Kit, and you'll be fine. The Brass is softer so it won't tear up the Gun Steel.

Some people use a Cleaning Bore Snake and have had good luck.

I myself use mostly Hoppes Brass Cleaning Kit on my Rifles. Never had any problems for over 40yrs.
    I probably have 6 or 7 different Kits over the Years, and just add to, with Caliber Brushes, Jags, and other bits, along with a Bore Guide for my AR15.

Wheeler, Hoppes, Remington, Winchester are all pretty universal. Just depends on how complete for Calibers you want to pay for. Some kits are for 22 up to 30 Caliber, and will run around $10 to $30. Some Kits are more complete that include 17HMR all way up to 10ga Shotgun and will run around $50.
    Check with MidwayUSA, Cabelas, Bass Pro, that should give you an idea about costs and metals made from.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

How big of caliber ? You can go .22lr all the way to .50 BMG on the AR15 platform

10. lifeguardkliff

I like the idea of the .300 won mag!! Is it ar15? If so where did u start? By the way that is a beautiful gun

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

You will need to step up to AR10 Platform, due to length of Shell.

12. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The AR10 isn't big enough for 300 win. If you decide to build one you're going to need some manufacturing equipment and an engineer.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Beat me to the punch the .300 win mag is right at 1/2" longer than the .308 it wont fit in the magwell either
    There are companies out there that make uppers for the AR15 in larger calibers , however these long distance rounds are going to be bolt action or breech loaded .

14. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Look down the forum list a little, there's a Cleaning and Maintenance section. ;)

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/

15. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I get that the 300Mag is larger(short vs long), but what platform of AR do you use. If it's the AR10 platform, BUT you only feed a single Shell at a time, abeit it is gonna be harder to load through the Ejector Port, it's still the AR10 platform---just can't use the Mag Well.
    What am I missing here? What's needed to be changed?

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=7o4WUrDRApG68wTm9IGQAw&q=.50+bmg+upper+&oq=.50+bmg+upper+&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l4j0i22i30.5100.10303.0.11271.15.13.0.2.2.0.462.2528.2-4j2j2.8.0....0...1c.1.25.mobile-gws-hp..5.10.2582.NjY7ditUC8Y[/ame]

Most will be like these styles . Some bolt action some breech where u actually push out the back pin out of the upper and acres a round onto the chamber via breech method

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out this section of the forum. it should have lots of useful information for you on cleaning and maitenance.

18. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The .308 is a short action round. 300 win is a long action round with a different bolt face.

If you wanna rechamber the barrel, mill out a new bolt, and not be able to eject the casing, I guess that's cool. Sounds stupid to me.

19. hoovco

hoovco New Member

oh and some AR15 parts are interchangeable with the AR10 platform.