Thinking about a mosin?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Billy9mm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

I see a lot of guys with the Mosin-Nagants, and they seem to enjoy the the guns, Have seen them around town for $90 to $125. Passed up a nice one at the last gun show for 125, bought a M24/47 8mm Mauser instead ( wife had a fit when she caught me cleaning the cosmolene out in the tub in the spare bath, but it was cold outside ). Would like some advice on what to look for on the Mosins. Thanks

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

These guys have always been good to deal with.
    Mosin Nagant
    As are these guys..
    RGUNS - Bolt Action Rifles
    You will hear that Tula guns are better, From a shooting standpoint that is not true.
    I ordered a hex receiver 91/30 for a friend a while back. He received a Izhevsk 1926 Ex-Dragoon that still had the original barrel w/ the old pre hammer and sickle stamp and the original stock w/ brass end caps. It was in perfect condition. I'm not sure how it escaped ever going into service in WW2. The sights were upgraded to 91/30 specs at some time. 1926 was the last year the Dragoon was made. He paid $99.00 shipped. I have Tula and Izhevsk, hex and round receivers. Accuracy is about the same w/ them all. Except for my post war PU sniper. The best 91/30 I have is a 1938 Izhevsk round receiver Finn capture from the Winter war. It is odd because it is still in 91/30 configuration. The only modifications I can find is the front sight post was ground in the back and is slightly longer then my Soviet rifles and the trigger was been modified in some way that makes it smoother. The red Soviet shellac is gone and it was oiled in typical Finn fashion.
    You really can't go wrong w/ any of them. There are many that were re-arsenaled and are like new. Shy away from a counter bored rifle although I did have one and it was an exceptional shooter. Make sure the numbers match!!

3. Billy9mm

Thanks for the input, what do i need to look at when you said "counter bored" ?

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

They're great and stout rifles. They are fairly accurate and ammo's still pretty cheap.

About counter-boring: if you look in the muzzle, the rifling should come all the way to the end of the barrel. If it stops a bit back from the crown, it's been counter-bored. The muzzles and crowns got pretty beat up, so counter-boring helped restore accuracy. But, if it's been counter-bored, it's been restored more or less to combat accuracy, however a non counter-bored model will generally be more accurate.

These are not target/tack driving rifles. They were designed to be used by Russian peasants to kill enemies, not to win matches.

If you buy one, make sure that the numbers match. The reason for that is that the parts are original to the rifle and have mated together over the years. Matching numbers don't really add anything to the value, it just makes for a better rifle.

They are a hoot to shoot and will hit minute of zombie all day. Just don't expect much more and you'll be very happy with one.

I've owned three over the years and they've been good shooters for me, but I just can't seem to hang on to them. :eek:

Try and shoot it at night or at least twilight, you'll be impressed by the muzzle flash. :D

5. Billy9mm

thanks for the info on counter boring. We got a gun show here this wknd so i'm gonna go and take a gander and see what I can find. I'll have to go to the show on saturday cause I got zombie patrol sat nite!

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I have one just got a month ago, love it the way the russian set this weapon up you can do a lot to it, the firing mech is simple, uber simple to take apart. I can honestly say I will never buy a commercial hunting rifle again.

I know it sounds crazy but you can pretty much adjust anything needed to, the flat head screw driver has marks in it to measure firing pin depth. the bolt can be taken completly apart, you get parts to make into a more modern hunting rifle.

The only thing I really don't like about them is the metal but plate but you can get replacments for those.

8. jpattersonnh

That is for bashing skulls and opening doors!! A plastic butt plate would simple crack and fall apart!

9. Whinchester188

Whinchester188 New Member

I own a mosin karbina, i love it. Its my first ww2 gun, and ill never part with it. Fun to shoot and plenty of ammo out there. Deff purchase one next time u get the chance, especially if you can find a PU scope to go along with it.

10. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I took wife and her grown son to the big gun show today. We came out with 2 Mosin Nagant 91-30's at $99 each, w/ bayonets and accessary packs. Stocks look to be pretty good shape. Wife wants to try it on deer, but I don't handload, and I'm presuming surplus/factory ammo is all military FMJ?
    Anyway, at first we were going to shoot them tomorrow, but they are going to need some degreasing first. :(

Any guides on FTF for loading, cleaning, maintenance on these? My only experience with rifles previously have been modern sporting guns, not milsurp.

11. jpattersonnh

This is good hunting ammo. There is some 150gr, but the heavier the bullet, the more accurate w/ 91/30's. Cleaning is really simple. If you use corrosive ammo for plinking, just run some boiling water down the bore and on the bolt face and clean as usual. Surplus rifle has instructions on how to break down the bolt.
    Brown Bear Ammunition 7.62x54mm Rimmed Russian 203 Grain Soft Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA
    180gr and above hunting ammo is where you want to be. The down side of hunting w/ the 91/30 is its' length.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I think you can also use the buttplate to beat open a small tank. If you don't own one, go get one, and get a lifetime supply of ammo. Get two. You will never see these prices again.

13. jpattersonnh

Digs holes pretty good also.

14. PRM

PRM New Member

About eight years ago a friend offered me a Mosin Nagant Carbine for $60. He had bought five of them at that price. I said sure ~ next day he brought me an unissued 1944 model. I gave it a good cleaning and eventually refinished the stock. I wanted something a little different from the military oil finish. My stock has beautiful wood (got really lucky). I opted for a semi gloss finish. This turned out to be one of the best firearms buys I have ever made. Great shooter, accurate, and something that won't break the bank.

Most deer and other game are taken at less than 100 yards were I live. The MN even with iron sights meets and exceeds my needs.

You won't be disappointed

15. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Some good info in this thread :cool:

16. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

I'm picking up a 91/30 this weekend for $80. already logged onto aim surplus and got a case of 440rds.

i'm strongly thinking about getting 2 mosins... one to modify and one to keep original. I've seen some great mods of that rifle.

17. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Don't think, just do. These are the best rifle value around.

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

ATI makes a pretty good synthetic stock. The only real mod I would make would be to install a Mojo sight. It just replaces the rear sight, needs no gun smithing and can be removed/replaced easily. It makes for a much better sight picture.

19. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

yea, had my eye on the ATI synthetic. i'll have to check out the mojo sight

20. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

sorry for excessive posting but i figured this would help... I called a big 5 store to see if they had MN's in stock. they do for $199.99... I called a 2nd big 5 store 5 miles from my house, same rifle in stock for $75.99 out the door, laminated stock, kit and bayonet included. I'm picking up 2 this weekend.