thinkin about rimfire competition

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by savageshooter1997, Nov 10, 2012.

1. savageshooter1997

savageshooter1997 New Member

I have a savage mark 2 22 and i was thinking of trying to make it a competition rifle. I already have a thousand rounds or so throught the barrel and it has a simmons scope but i was wondering if there is any mods i should do to it?

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have the same rifle. Very accurate with even the basic ammo. Just get a good scope and make sure its mounted securely

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

What kind of groups are you getting?

4. savageshooter1997

I can put them through the same hole at fifty yards off bags.the accuracy is unbelievable! I was just wondering if there were some mods i should do to it? And what kind of competitions is there?

5. savageshooter1997

I want to add a second swivel stud so i can run a bipod and a sling at the same time. How would i ad a second one?

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I just put one on my FIL's 870 and it is as easy as drilling the right size hole and screwing in the stud. I was able to do i in 5 minutes with a hand drill.

7. savageshooter1997

Thats what i was thinking.but i wasnt sure and my rifle is not something to experiment with

8. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

one hole fifty yard groups? Don't do anything to that rifle. Go enter some smallbore silhouette matches. Also enter some BR50 matches. Report back results here.

9. savageshooter1997

Two question...one whats br50 and two who would i talk to to get into competitions like that? Thanks for all youre feed back!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  10. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

br50 = 50 yards Bench Rest

Far and away your biggest 'modification' is going to be the ammunition you use. I've got a Mk II too and often put rounds through one hole at 50y BR with Mini Mags . At 100y, not so much. I've gotten 1.5" groups at 100y BR with Mini Mags, but not with any regularity. Most are over 2". My groups fall apart at around 70y.

They didn't have any sub sonic ammo at my local & chain shops, and even the Stingers go transsonic over 50y, so I going to mail order something.

I just put a Mueller 8-32x44 scope on it because the dime sized dots I shoot at were covered up by the previous scope's BDC dots. Side benefit, don't really need the spotting scope.

Here's a link to 22lr ammo results at 50, 75 & 100 yards. It shows what's possible with a high end rifle with just the brand of ammo as the variable.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

As far as modifications to the rifle itself, I'd go to a competition and talk to some people, perhaps the 'winners', and see what they found made the biggest differences.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  12. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Rimfire sporter shot at 50 and 25 yds in prone, sitting or kneeling, and off hand 10shots slow and 10 shots rapid in 2 5round strings the rifles are 7.5 lbs total weight 3lb or heavier trigger max is a 6x scope or open sight or apeture also use bolt or semi also a tactical class lots of local ranges are doing this do to kinds of rifles this is also shot at a national level at the cmp games every body from kids to seniors go to www.odcmp.com or rime fire shooter and check it out. The br-50 is a benchrest match on rimfire shooter the have a monthly fun match check it out and join the fun rimfire matches are a blast no matter what you decide to do:D

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

14. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

savageshooter1997, I appreciate your quest for friendly competition. Check around at your local range and you'll find some matches to shoot in. I shot in Smallbore silhouette matches for years and what started out as fun quickly soured. I started out with a Rem 513T. My very first match, I won my class. The regulars cried, pissed and moaned. About the stock, the weight, the scope mounts, the wind, the sun. I'm far from the best shot ever and just wanted to have fun. After years of putting up with it, I just stopped going.

If your gun can shoot the 1 hole groups you might stand a chance in the hunter class. Having the right equipment is what structured matches are all about in my opinion. Have fun.

15. savageshooter1997

Those competitions are exactly what i was looking for.....but they arent within my travel range :( but thank you. I am thinkin about makin a competition up here.

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

As far as putting a bipod and a sling on, I found a good bipod for mine that had a built in swivel for a sling. It wasn't very expensive, I just can't remember where I got it from or what brand it is. I would have to guess that there are probably several bipods out there that will already have the swivel like you want so you won't have to drill through your stock

17. savageshooter1997

Ok sweet. The only bipod i have ever used didnt have that so i just assumed that it was ussualy that way. Thanks ill start looking

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yeah I really wish I could tell you what brand it was but my father decided to borrow my .22 to take care of a few coons.

19. savageshooter1997

Thats where i got my experience with a bipod! Me and my cousin made a cheezy "Sniper hide" on my granmas roof to guard her saud from the coons! It was so much fun!

20. savageshooter1997

Oh and another thing i was curious about was where i could get a tactical bolt handle for my 22.im worried because my bolt handle seems to be welded to my bolt so i dont know if id have to have this one cut off and a tactical one be welded in its place or just buy a new bolt? Ill post pics if u dont see what im trying to say