Think prices will ever go back down?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by therhino, Feb 27, 2013.

1. therhino

therhino New Member

JG Sales has ChiCom SKS's in stock...$500 each.
    Local Cabelas has a bunch of Nagant revolvers in beautiful shape...$150 each.
    Mosins are up in price by 50-100%.

I'm nopt familiar with historical trends in firearms, especially C&R guns, but do prices ever go back down after a panic like we're seeing, or do those prices become the "new normal?"

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

IMO as long as big stores like Academy, Gander Mtn, and Wal-Mart are in the gun game prices will go back down.

Academy and Walmart still sell their AR's for MSRP, which is better than paying $1500 for a DPMS Orical at a LGS.

So if these price gouging *** holes want to stay in business, yes prices will go down.

3. Nozzlehead

Nozzlehead New Member

That's actually not a bad price for the revolver. As for the others, as long as people run out and buy, buy, buy...the price will keep going up, up, up! A guy I work with had been trying to sell some off brand AK for $400...nobody wanted it. He went to a show 2 wks ago and for the heck of it threw a price of $900 on it. He sold it for $850 20 minutes after he was there. As long as people are willing to pay the price... they ain't coming down.

4. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Historically, yes. Prices do return to "pre-panic" levels. The inventory is bought up in anticipation of bans. The manufacturing increases to try and match. By the time all the money that can be spent is, manufacturing has caught up. If the timing is right, the manufacturing boom ends with a surplus of product and the retail prices actually drop below "pre-panic." This happened in the span between 2008 and 2010.

5. JWagner

JWagner New Member

The prices for milsurp on backpage.com seem to be coming down a bit recently. I got a Hungarian MN M44 in very nice condition for $200 on Monday. And I see Yugo SKS (and 300 rounds of ammo) in nice condition with an asking price of $500. That would not have been seen a month or so ago.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Bolt action Sulplus rifles usually are not effected by panic buying. I use to buy Vet bring back K98k's for 125.00 to 175.00, now they are 650.00 and up. Enfield No4's, 125.00 all day long. FR7's and FR8's, $125.00. Yugo 24/47's $89.00.
    K31's $129.00. The only way you will get a good deal is to know someone selling one. I sold a perfect 1942 Longbranch No4mk1/3 (1952 FTF Trigger upgrade) for $500.00 and it came w/ 300 rounds (sealed can) Greek Surplus, 120 rounds Brit surplus, A bunch of Commercial ammo and some of my reloads. I also tossed in 10 chargers full of 1942..1945 Brit MKVII. I was offered $400.00 for the rifle, but have known the kid that bought it and wanted to start him off right. Having a rifle and no ammo sucks.

7. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That Nagant revolver was already creeping up a bit, it had been noted in one of the industry mags I read back in November or December that the days of the surplus nagant revolvers for $99 were coming to an end. And like these guys said, the big box stores haven't really jacked anything out of proportion. I stumbled across a box of 100 Federal .223 at walmart the other night for $35. The employee told me they actually lowered the price from forty something to the 35. Some things will go back, others may not. It's a lot like gas, sometimes it goes way up, and sometimes it comes back down.....historically prices are always on the rise though.

8. therhino

therhino New Member

Good info, all. Thanks.
    I need to get myself one of those "industry magazines!" If I'd known the price fo the Nagant revolver would jump by half, I'd have snapped one up when they were still $99.
    Might have to bump up the Radom P64 on my priority list.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The good thing about the panic buying is the new buyers. I notice the people who are engaged in panic purchases are new semi auto owners. Most of these people would have not bought a "Black" rifle 6 mos. ago. These are often buyers who said no one needs an AR 15. They also claimed Obama was not going to attack gun owners. Amazing what a dose of real world can do.:)

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

Used gun market

After the panic buying if the guvment doesnt pass some stupid law the used gun market should be poping maybe in a couple of years.

11. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

Savin' my dough and waiting patiently.....

12. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

.........Still waiting.....

13. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

Not to where they were before but i think they will go down lower...ish than they are now

14. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Prices on Ar's and what not have allready gone down in NC and you can find them easily. Ammo is around,,,if you know where to look

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Please tell us' I've looked everywhere I can think of. Sure you can find some but I think they are using gold casings.

16. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

IMO certain things will have a roll-back in prices while other things will not or will take longer to adjust. I think I read that there were something like 17 million 91/30 Mosin Nagants manufactured over time. I bought my first one 4 years ago for $69. I have recently seen them advertised for $150 and up. I have to believe that this is temporary since there are so many of them out there. A few years ago you could buy a 50 round box of 9mm Luger for $9-$10. It would be a coup if you could find it for less than $15 today. I think the prices for ammo will stay the same or get worse in the near future, especially when you consider the increased demand from law enforcement purchases (Homeland Security's recent purchase of 2 Billion rounds of ammo, plus other agency purchases). Everything GUN will become increasingly expensive the more the 2nd Amendment issues are in the spotlight. It is human nature to hoard those things that you feel you need that you will not be able to get when you need it. Note that when the weather forecast is for severe activity people flock to the stores to buy toilet paper and milk. Its not that people poop or drink more during bad weather, it is just human nature.

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This hoarding happens every time the Democrats are in office. The prices always go down after they they lose both houses of congress. Just make sure you vote these SOBs out in Nov.;)

18. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Pricing will come done...probably everywhere buy Walmart. Manufacturers will catch up, unlikely they will make any changed to the production because it would be only temporary. But it's going to be a few months, maybe 6 before supplies start to come back, so shoot sparingly (my opinion) untill you can replenish what you have. MIdway is posting some July and August dates for ammo, so it's going to be a while. Of the 2700 different guns that Able Ammo sells, they currently have only 11 models available now. After the government makes a decision, either way, things will begin to return to normal.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The question Is in the C&R section, meaning, well older rifles that wally world and able don't deal with.
    OP, Why not buy from a wholesaler and have it shipped to your FFL. Here is an example of what is out there.
    https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M24-47.html

Manufacturer Code

Manufactured at the Zastava Factory at Kragujevac in Yugoslavia. M98 Action, Straight Bolt, Receiver bears the Yugoslavian Coat of Arms. 5 Round integral magazine. Beautiful hardwood stock, and nice metal buttplate. Really nice handy Short Mauser at a very affordable price.
    Barrel: 23.2" Overall: 43.3

Very Good Condition
    $209.95
    Special Select Condition
    $229.95

20. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

Well in my life experience once they go up like anything else they stay up ,lets hope the guy said will be an overflow after panic is over is right but they like money when they make guns and if they can get people to pay it they will keep charging it.I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices they are asking right now i will wait.